Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Buying the Puppy build..

I was thinking about buying the Puppy build, minus the keyboard/mouse, but was wondering if I'd be able to run WoW at max settings and possible even SWTOR.

And I was also wondering how much better is the Dolphin build? Trying to stay with something cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    How much money are you willing to spend? And I don't know why Djinni posted those here. .-.

10+ Year Old Account
    Also thanks :P those speakers aren't half bad :P and cheaper than the ones I was planning to buy,

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 09:05 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    How much money are you willing to spend? And I don't know why Djinni posted those here. .-.
    As refference? Seeing as thats what the OP asked about.

Quote Originally Posted by Omang View Post
    I was thinking about buying the Puppy build, minus the keyboard/mouse, but was wondering if I'd be able to run WoW at max settings and possible even SWTOR.

And I was also wondering how much better is the Dolphin build? Trying to stay with something cheap.
    No, you will not be able to run WoW at anywhere close to max settings if you raid, unless you play on stamp-sized monitor, and I assume it's same for SWToR.

Gaming computers are not cheap if you want to push settings above medium.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Incoming wall of text: Please take the time to read it =P

The puppy build is okay, but it is certainly not optimized for wow. That CPU is very weak for wow especially, which favors Intel CPU's. I would recommend the http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build $500 dollar build with a better Motherboard (P67/Z68) so that you will have a socket that will work for ivy bridge. (The H61 mentioned will not work.) If you want to stay more along the lines of the puppy build, go for puppy but replace the CPU and MOBO with an i3 2100/ i5 2500k (A bit pricier but well worth it.) and a p67/Z68 Motherboard, (Though if price is a big issue go for the H61 board mentioned in the Sweet Spot Thread).

Puppy will not be able to handle wow above medium due to the weak CPU mostly. Also, dolphin is quite a bit better, but GO INTEL FOR WOW!

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Waiting for an answer to this - if you're willing to spend Dolphin amounts of money, then we could set you up with a stronger build.

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arslay View Post
    The puppy build is okay, but it is certainly not optimized for wow. That CPU is very weak for wow especially, which favors Intel CPU's. I would recommend the http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...pot-quot-Build $500 dollar build with a better Motherboard (P67/Z68) so that you will have a socket that will work for ivy bridge. (The H61 mentioned will not work.) If you want to stay more along the lines of the puppy build, go for puppy but replace the CPU and MOBO with an i3 2100/ i5 2500k (A bit pricier but well worth it.) and a p67/Z68 Motherboard, (Though if price is a big issue go for the H61 board mentioned in the Sweet Spot Thread).
    Do you honestly think most people are going to need an Ivybridge CPU? For all that we know so far, it's going to be an 8 core variant with 22nm architecture.... that's just ridiculous for like 98%+ of computer users.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Well, I don't really have a budget I'm just looking to get something now because I'm tired of playing on my laptop -.-

Dont listen to them. yes it will run wow on max setting. I am running a weaker system then the puppy (barely) and I run wow on max settings, with 20 fps in full raids, 35 in stormwind. I would, however, recommend going with the dolphin build over puppy, cause its only 100 dollars more and has a much better cpu and video card.

Edit: before anyone mentions it, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 on a 24in led monitor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I don't really have a budget I'm just looking to get something now because I'm tired of playing on my laptop -.-
    Meaning if someone suggested a $5,000 build you could go for that?

10+ Year Old Account
    $450 If you're willing to build your own. It won't max it out, but it'll come pretty damn close. If you have more money to spend on it, I advise that though. .-. Add an ODD.

Xigmatek ASGARD II B/B CPC-T45UC-U01 Black / Black 0.8 mm SECC / Aluminum and Aluminum Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer ...Item #: N82E16811815004Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
    -$10.00 Instant $39.99$29.99

Seagate Barracuda ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare DriveItem #: N82E16822148701Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $39.99

ZOTAC ZT-40503-10L GeForce GTS 450 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video CardItem #: N82E16814500187Return Policy: VGA Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$20.00 Instant
    $30.00 Mail-in Rebate
    $129.99$109.99

Antec EarthWatts Green EA-380D Green 380W Continuous power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power ...Item #: N82E16817371033Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$20.00 Instant $59.99$39.99

CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMV4GX3M2A1333C9Item #: N82E16820145278Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
    $31.99

ASRock H61M-VS LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel MotherboardItem #: N82E16813157241Return Policy: Standard Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
    $59.99

Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I32100Item #: N82E16819115078Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return PolicyProtect Your Investment (expand for options)
    -$5.00 Instant $124.99$119.99
    Subtotal: $431.93

Allow me to define damn close. You'll probably want to turn shadows off and keep multisampling down, but it should handle everything else just fine.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Do you honestly think most people are going to need an Ivybridge CPU? For all that we know so far, it's going to be an 8 core variant with 22nm architecture.... that's just ridiculous for like 98%+ of computer users.
    In a world like ours where technology is always changing and new becomes old very quickly you usually don't want to remove future upgradability off the table right as you buy it.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Meaning if someone suggested a $5,000 build you could go for that?
    I would if I could, but I'd say no more than $1500.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by onslaughth2 View Post
    Dont listen to them. yes it will run wow on max setting. I am running a weaker system then the puppy (barely) and I run wow on max settings, with 20 fps in full raids, 35 in stormwind. I would, however, recommend going with the dolphin build over puppy, cause its only 100 dollars more and has a much better cpu and video card.

Edit: before anyone mentions it, my resolution is 1920 x 1080 on a 24in led monitor.
    How is 20 FPS "okay"?

$1500 Build
    Case: Antec 900 $99.99
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W $89.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD-4 $189.99
    Processor: Intel i7 2600k $314.99
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $89.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB $84.99
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 90GB $168.99
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB $89.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6970 $349.99
    Total: 1502.90 USD

You could probably drop down to a 2500k. Opinions opinions.

How is 20 FPS "okay"?
    That's exactly what OK means, its higher enough framerate to NOT lag, but isn't the smoothest possible either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by onslaughth2 View Post

lol. Prove it buddy.
    Bet you don't have shadows at max. Bet you don't have AA and Multisampling at max.
    No, that build will *not* run max settings, don't lie.
    "A flower.

How is 20 FPS "okay"?

$1500 Build
    Case: Antec 900 $99.99
    Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W $89.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68 UD-4 $189.99
    Processor: Intel i7 2600k $314.99
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 $89.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB $84.99
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 90GB $168.99
    Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 64MB Cache 1TB $89.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6970 $349.99
    Total: 1502.90 USD

You could probably drop down to a 2500k. Opinions opinions.

Yeah, I was looking at that and the $1000 build.

This will be my first time building my own comp. so I was wondering if there were any guides on what to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    In a world like ours where technology is always changing and new becomes old very quickly you usually don't want to remove future upgradability off the table right as you buy it.
    There is very little software that most people uses that even pushes the i5-2500K to its limits, and that's at stock speeds. I understand the want to upgrade in the future, but be realistic.... Ivybridge is seriously overkill when you think about it. Anyone who has a Sandybridge build right now, especially the i5 and i7 chips, is probably good for the next 3-5 years unless something absolutely drastic happens in the software industry.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account

This will be my first time building my own comp. so I was wondering if there were any guides on what to do.
    Tons.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

Watch that series. Build the $1500 build, which will be roughly $1400 if you take out the 2600k. Additionally, I'd consider getting a different Solid State Drive. Intel's 510/320 series is pretty solid, though both OCZ and Intel are having SSD related issues.

10+ Year Old Account

First of all, what all do you plan to do on your computer other than gaming? Anything demanding on the computer? Or just mostly internet surfing/pr0n viewing?
    "A flower.