Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Question What is my current computer worth?

So I'm looking to build a new computer, and I want to sell my current computer so that I can offset the cost of a new build.

The question is, how much is my computer worth? If you guys need more info I can provide anything you need. Once I have a good estimate on this computer, I'll post (in a new thread) the desired build I want to make and have you guys critique it.

Thanks!

Computer Info
    Case: Antec Nine Hundred
    CPU: AMD Phenom X3 8650 w/ Zalman Heatsink
    Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-T
    Memory: 2 x Corsair 2GB DDR2 PC6400 C5 (4GB total)
    Video Card: eVGA NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Power Supply: Corsair TX650W
    DVD-ROM: DVD-RW/CD-RW Drive

10+ Year Old Account
    Where do you live?
    What warranties are still valid (for each component and for the system as a whole)?
    How old is the system since you bought it?
    Are you including any software or peripherals with the sale?
    Are any of the parts damaged or excessively dusty in any way?
    What did it cost you originally?

$250 tops, old 4-digit phenoms are rather crap by today's standards...

You get best use of the old computer if you recycle the case, PSU and DVD drive for your new computer assuming the PSU is not terribly old, and ditch the rest to electric waste bin. Those recycled parts will serve you just fine and cut the budget of the new computer by $150-200.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

You get best use of the old computer if you recycle the case, PSU and DVD drive for your new computer assuming the PSU is not terribly old, and ditch the rest to recycle bin. Those recycled parts will serve you just fine and cut the budget of the new computer by $150-200.
    Or if the OP lives in England he can send them to me ;-)
    Always got uses for old hardware :-)

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for such a quick response! I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    1. Where do you live?
    2. What warranties are still valid (for each component and for the system as a whole)?
    3. How old is the system since you bought it?
    4. Are you including any software or peripherals with the sale?
    5. Are any of the parts damaged or excessively dusty in any way?
    6. What did it cost you originally?
    1. Indianapolis, IN USA
    2. I believe the power supply still has 1 year on warranty, I'm not sure about the rest of the system.
    3. The system is 4 years old, with a gpu, memory and processor upgrade about 2 years ago.
    4. The system would include a new HDD with Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit only, no keyboard/mice, monitor, or other software.
    5. The DVD burner needs a little nudge to go back in sometimes.
    6. Originally it cost ~$1,000. And then about another $400 in upgrades through its lifespan.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you're lucky you could get $300-$350 off Craigslist, but that's highly doubtful. More realistically its around $250 like vesseblah stated
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to break it to you but that copy of Win7 is probably worth more than all the hardware put together....

The key points to selling hardware is a decent amount of time left on warranty (2-3years+) and a clean install with an OS + Word Processing suite.

Best thing to do is keep Win7 Ultimate for your next system and donate this one to a charity or hostel etc...

How new is the harddrive and what speed and size? (make and model would be good)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    If you're lucky you could get $300-$350 off Craigslist, but that's highly doubtful. More realistically its around $250 like vesseblah stated
    I also third this. You could market it as a budget low-end gaming CPU and get someone who doesn't know much to give you $300.00 for it. But, I would be more inclined to save the case and HDD/CD-drive, etc, to use in my own new rig. Then again, my old stuff becomes my fiances, and then her old stuff becomes the guest computer, and the old stuff from the guest computer is recycled because it's quite outdated by that point. So I never get rid of stuff. It's a series of hand-me-downs!

Seriously though - if you have a family member in need of a computer, hook them up for like $100.00, and feel good about yourself.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Well, part of the reason I'm getting a new computer is because my boot drive is failing (I know I could replace, but this gave me a reason to tell my wife that I need a new computer), so I would be buying a new HDD from Newegg to place in the machine to make it complete (more likely to sell it as a working system than as parts, I assumed). I have a couple of WIN7 licenses from when I won sales contests at Fry's Electronics, so putting it on the new computer isn't a concern.

I don't expect too much out of it, I just didn't want to get low-balled by not knowing what it's actually worth.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    List it for $350 and take $250 if it is offered. Even $250 for it will get you a decent motherboard and a new i3 2100.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post

You get best use of the old computer if you recycle the case, PSU and DVD drive for your new computer assuming the PSU is not terribly old, and ditch the rest to electric waste bin. Those recycled parts will serve you just fine and cut the budget of the new computer by $150-200.
    You forgot hdd... even my 5 year old computer had a 1tb hdd that I could use as a secondary media drive in my new one.
    Also, recycling psu isn't a great idea unless it's a high end one that hasn't been in use more than a year or two.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Keep it, host a minecraft or apache server on it. Maybe turn it into a media center for your den or something. Or install pfSense on it and have the sweetest router ever.

Deleted
    I concur that 300 dollars is about as much as you could hope for.

But maybe you'll find and naive person who'll pay you more.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Also, recycling psu isn't a great idea unless it's a high end one that hasn't been in use more than a year or two.
    The PSU listed is Corsair TX650 which is relatively high end, and for that exact reason I mentioned "if it's not terribly old".
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.