Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Warcraft RTS games.

ok heres what im thinking. the only RTS games ive ever played were command and conquer, red alert and yuri's revenge. they were a lot of fun, im sure most of you guys will agree. so i got to thinking, ive only played WoW, and ive never played the RTS games. i like WoW lore and know a fair bit of it from reading wowwiki and stuff. my question to you guys is, what do you guys think of the Warcraft RTS games? and should everyone play them to better understand WoW?

I absolutely love Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness. I tried Warcraft: Orcs and Humans but couldn't get past the graphics. Warcraft 3 was OK, but 2 is definitely my favorite, I still play 2 frequently, and 3 every once in a while
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

Warcraft 3 is FANTASTIC. I have played it since the release and still do. Working on the campaign on hard atm. Its voice acting and history is top notch.

so are the graphics for the 1st one really that big of a put off? because id like to play them all, my brother and his friend played and beat them, and they both loved it, id like to see what its all about.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I liked Warcraft 3. They also have some nice mods and custom scenarios such as Dota, if you get bored of the main game

Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    ok heres what im thinking. the only RTS games ive ever played were command and conquer, red alert and yuri's revenge. they were a lot of fun, im sure most of you guys will agree. so i got to thinking, ive only played WoW, and ive never played the RTS games. i like WoW lore and know a fair bit of it from reading wowwiki and stuff. my question to you guys is, what do you guys think of the Warcraft RTS games? and should everyone play them to better understand WoW?
    I've never played the first 2, but Warcraft 3 is the only game I've ever played where I haven't gotten bored of it. That's only for the custom maps anyway, but that's where the real fun of the game lies once you beat singleplayer. Not sure how long it'll last with the declining community, but we'll see.

The campaign has a great story, and none of the missions are tacked on or lacking in uniqueness. It's pretty balanced, and the units all have their special uses like Starcraft if you've played it. I'm not good at making a detailed list of praises, but I highly recommend Warcraft 3 if you're looking for a fun game with a good story to add to your collection of WC lore.
    Don't forget to get the expansion pack, though.

The original Warcraft is kinda Meh, but Warcraft 2 is awesome to this day.

ok. now if i remember correctly, doesnt warcraft orcs and humans have to do with the first orcs coming thru the dark portal, the attack on stormwind etc? if so id be interested in that. i like all the wow lore so i dont think id be too bored with the earlier ones. i havent been on battle.net for a few months since i canceled my account back in december, but cant you download them off the site? i might renew my account when i move out this december. but thats beside the point :P

Deleted
    I loved all of them, but the only one worth playing for the WOW lore is warcraft 3. The first 2 are too dated now.

ok. now if i remember correctly, doesnt warcraft orcs and humans have to do with the first orcs coming thru the dark portal, the attack on stormwind etc? if so id be interested in that. i like all the wow lore so i dont think id be too bored with the earlier ones. i havent been on battle.net for a few months since i canceled my account back in december, but cant you download them off the site? i might renew my account when i move out this december. but thats beside the point :P
    The first game concerns The First War, which is when the Orcs cross throguh the Dark Portal and besiege the kingdom of Stormwind. The second game draws in all other Human kingdoms, along with elves and dwarves, in the Second War as it escalates across the entire Eastern Kingdoms. The expansion deals in the Third War, where the humans push the orcs through the Dark Portal into Draenor. Then you've got Warcraft 3, which deals in the aftermath of the wars, and the invasion of the Burning Legion.

I'll check real quick and clarify if you can or not.
    EDIT: Apparenlty I've lost my Authenticator. Blargh.

Deleted
    If you like the Warcraft lore you just have to play WC3 + The Frozen Throne expac. You you will experience Arthas' epic journey into becoming the Lich King, how Illidan turns into Illidan the Betrayer and why Kael'Thas and the naga are his ally, you'll see Grom Hellscream's fall and redemption, you'll see Thrall establishing the new Horde and Rexxar's missions are just unique to any of the campaigns with RPG element.
    Last edited by mmoc26966749d9; 2011-07-19 at 10:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    #3 is my favorite, I loved being a Lich :3

Warcraft 3 is one of the best RTS out there , u have campaign + melee maps (building army clashing etc) or custom maps such as Dota,DDay judgement and many other cool maps

Playing vs bots can be fun playing with friends is a total new experience and ofc more fun

All in all u will not be dissapointed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daralii View Post
    An orc named after Jesus firing a kamehameha at a tentacle dragon and making it explode into fairy dust before a group of dragons don't lament the loss of their once-friend or the now inevitable extinction of their species due to their newfound sterility and mortality but instead congratulate him on knocking up his wife was pretty fucking insane even by this series' standards.

the Warcraft RTS games are a lot of fun, the first two, and the first especially, are rather dated, but you should definitely at least play Warcraft 2, Beyond the Dark Portal, Warcraft 3 and Frozen Throne
    personally I always preferred the WC games over C&C, largely due to the humour

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Targo View Post
    If you like the Warcraft lore you just have to play WC3 + The Frozen Throne expac. You you will experience Arthas' epic journey into becoming the Lich King, how Illidan turns into Illidan the Betrayer and why Kael'Thas and the naga are his ally, you'll see Grom Hellscream's fall and redemption, you'll see Thrall establishing the new Horde and Rexxar's missions are just unique to any of the campaigns with RPG element.
    Rexxar's missions seem to be testing out how WoW would go over

WC3 + TFT has a great storyline. The gameplay is not that great like in SC/SC2, but you should play it for the story.

You can barely see anything in the games so wait for WC4

Warcraft 3 is what made all the lore WoW has, its definatly a must-play

Quote Originally Posted by Targo View Post
    Wait, wha? I played wc3 a lot of times and I don't remind the WotA taking place, as a matter of facts, the first time we see illidan in the game, he is imprisoned by the nightelves.

OT: I played wc2 and wc3 and highly recommend them both for lore and fun, however, wc2 might be disapealing with today's technology (reading the lore of the mision in a text and stuff)

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't comment on 2, I just caught up on 1+2's lore online but 3 is one of my favourite games.

I just wish Blood Elves were as cool as they were in WC3

/sigh