Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Movies] Final Destination series.

Just saw the trailer for the upcoming Final Destination 5 movie, and hopefully there's even more messed up deaths compared to the previous 4. Granted this movie series was bad plot-wise (Basic synopsis goes like this: Random person gets vision of an incident of massive deaths, somehow gets a number of people to not get killed in that incident, only to have the survivors die one by one.), but I think people only watched it just for the deaths.

I do wonder how the profits they get from those movies are enough to make another one. Granted I don't Final Destination will have as many sequels compared to say Saw, but it looks like it's getting close to that number. (I forgot how many Saw movies they made, can anyone clarify that to me?)
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Just goes to show that people like to watch people die in really messed up ways.

The first one was actually a pretty good movie. The rest were subpar and 4 was just atrocious. 5 actually doesn't look too bad. Depends on how the whole "kill one, save yourself" thing works out.

Saw had a total of 7 movies, but they were all 1 long story. Final Destination is basically just a series of random events(like most modern "horror" movies).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post
    The first one was actually a pretty good movie. The rest were subpar and 4 was just atrocious. 5 actually doesn't look too bad. Depends on how the whole "kill one, save yourself" thing works out.

Saw had a total of 7 movies, but they were all 1 long story. Final Destination is basically just a series of random events(like most modern "horror" movies).
    I think the first one being the "best" also probably had to do with the plot in general. The others after that just used the exact same plot, the only differences being the deaths and the "kill one, save yourself" part as you mentioned. Not to mention the parts where they refer to previous movies in the series seemed unnecessary.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2011-07-20 at 12:04 AM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

I've seen the trailer. All I can say is meh...

The deaths seem like they may be more elaborate and less liky to happen in the real world, but meh some of the ones in the previous were like that as well.

And from what I can tell they actually meet "death" who is in fact played by the Candyman... don't think that will be a good idea.

so yeah while I'm sure it will be good, I won't bring my hopes up for it to be fantastic untill I see it.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

15+ Year Old Account
    Loved the first 3 (Ok the 3rd one wasn't that great but come on, Mary Elizabeth Winstead). And the 4th one was suppose to be the final one, what happened. This one does take an interesting twist though, kill or be killed, hells yes, just what the series needed. But, I'm getting really sick of the teenage actors that make everything look like Twilight, guess it's the era we're in.

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    I do wonder how the profits they get from those movies are enough to make another one. Granted I don't Final Destination will have as many sequels compared to say Saw, but it looks like it's getting close to that number. (I forgot how many Saw movies they made, can anyone clarify that to me?)
    Every Final Destination film has made overwhemingly more than it's budget and past the studio's expectation. That's why the studio continues to make it. They'll stop until it makes less than it's budget and expectation (cough) SAW (cough)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    And from what I can tell they actually meet "death" who is in fact played by the Candyman... don't think that will be a good idea.
    Fairly certain death first showed up in the second one as the coroner as well.

---------- Post added 2011-07-19 at 09:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Every Final Destination film has made overwhemingly more than it's budget and past the studio's expectation. That's why the studio continues to make it. They'll stop until it makes less than it's budget and expectation (cough) SAW (cough)
    Saw could have easily continued to make money. The last one made 136 million on a budget of 20. Unlike nearly every other franchise ever, they realized that the Jigsaw story was done and finished it in a way that still made sense. Not to mention that it was very clear they were leading up to a deliberate ending with Saw IV.

wow really.. never known it.. i love Saw too...

I loved the 1st and 2nd parts, I don't think I ever watched 3 and 4, but from what I heard about them, I haven't lost anything. I'm sure not going to watch 5th, neither.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Destination and Saw series are actually quite alike. Both series had a really good first part. With each next part both series became worse and worse plot-wise and became all about showing people dying in more and more gruesome and elaborate ways.

15+ Year Old Account
    The very first installment had a nice premise and plot point. After that the series went downhill fast.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

The 4th one was good... what's not to like about brutal deaths in 3d.
    The 3rd was the best though, especially the tanning bed scene.
    Maybe I'm just a sadist, but I'm definitely going to watch the 5th one lol
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

15+ Year Old Account
    looking forward to watching this movie its odd there making a new Final Destination i assumed the fourth movie was the last in the series it was named ^The Final Destination ^ but i will be watching this movie im just happy its rated R and not pg-13

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dahawk View Post
    looking forward to watching this movie its odd there making a new Final Destination i assumed the fourth movie was the last in the series it was named ^The Final Destination ^ but i will be watching this movie im just happy its rated R and not pg-13
    I think all of the Final Destination movies were R-rated to begin with.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

15+ Year Old Account
    maybe they were..hmm good point ^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zonas View Post
    I've seen the trailer. All I can say is meh...

The deaths seem like they may be more elaborate and less liky to happen in the real world, but meh some of the ones in the previous were like that as well.

so yeah while I'm sure it will be good, I won't bring my hopes up for it to be fantastic untill I see it.
    Most of the deaths in Final Destination were very unlikely to happen in real-life to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    The 4th one was good... what's not to like about brutal deaths in 3d.
    The 3rd was the best though, especially the tanning bed scene.
    Maybe I'm just a sadist, but I'm definitely going to watch the 5th one lol
    I do have to give a bit of props for the directors for trying out the fanservice route when it came to that tanning bed scene. It probably didn't make the 3rd one significantly better, but boobs are always nice.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2011-07-20 at 11:15 PM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by blackangel209 View Post

Saw could have easily continued to make money. The last one made 136 million on a budget of 20. Unlike nearly every other franchise ever, they realized that the Jigsaw story was done and finished it in a way that still made sense. Not to mention that it was very clear they were leading up to a deliberate ending with Saw IV.
    SAW VII only made substantially more than the last couple because it was announced to be the last. [[IE Return of the King, Harry Potter, etc.]] Of course the final one would always make much more. Hollywood doesn't consider the foreign gross as much than domestic gross when deciding to continue a franchise. Let's look down the list:

Saw - Domestic: $55 Million
    [[Word of mouth begins]]
    Saw II - Domestic: $87 Million
    Saw III - Domestic: $80 Million
    Saw IV - Domestic: $63 Million
    Saw V - Domestic: $56 Million
    Saw VI - Domestic: $27 Million
    [[Saw VII announced as the last.]]
    Saw VII = Domestic $45 Million

Obviously they understood the audience would gradually decline, unlike Final Destination or the Fast and the Furious series.
    If they never announced SAW VII as the last in the franchise, it would definitely have not made anything close to that amount.
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2011-07-21 at 10:17 PM.

I'm surprised that people are willing to pay to see the same horror movie 5 times over 10 years.
    "With this costume, I'll get Asian girls for sure!"
    - Judge Malthred revealing my avatar's inner thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Jistu View Post
    I'm surprised that people are willing to pay to see the same horror movie 5 times over 10 years.
    For the Saw Franchise: I think for me, I still had hope for it. I think I stopped watching it at the theatres after the 4th one and still have yet to watch the last one on dvd.

For the FInal Destination series, I think people still continue to watch it because of the scenarios. I'll admit it's pretty fun to watch it on a less serious note
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2011-07-22 at 08:16 AM.