New to Ret in PvP

Hey Guys,

I have Tanked for a long time on my Paladin in PVE (ever since it was "really viable" in TBC) but i have found my game time limited recently and its hard to commit to raiding and enjoy my experience. I still farm the odd 5 mans for lulz - but you get a bad group in a ZA / ZG its like i die a little inside

So

I pretty much started to PVP a little bit and currently just smashing random bgs for points till i can gear up and give RatedBGS a shot. Had heaps of fun this weekend in SoTA (C2Arms) in prot PVE spec - lol i know. But i had to start somewhere.

I have found a couple builds to take a look at (as atm my build is still ret PVE) but still a little a miss to things like gemming etc / reforging, what stats to stack if any.

* Like yellow slots - do i stack straight mastery (like prot PVE) or am i going for 20/20 str and crit etc.
    * Red would be straight strength etc?
    * What kinda enchants am i looking for - again - am i going mastery / strength/ap etc.

Armory is - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Bennett/simple Yes i know its pathetic and i purchased the wrong boots and had enchanted before realizing. Yes the chant on the head should be strength but its what i had in my bag currently, shoulders i have 0 therazane rep atm.

My question - is there a Ret pvp compendium to look at, can any provide me with some helpful tips etc, i would like to do some arena at some point but atm i am mainly focused towards BG's and improving resilience atm (im amazed as the difference 0 vs 1800 makes already)

15+ Year Old Account
    Oh my god, this is like 90% my situation. You saved me the hassle to start a thread. Now I just hope it picks up. I could go for both retri and prot though, prot can (or was atleast) be really nice in AV.

i am going to also ride his post for info LOL

---------- Post added 2011-07-20 at 12:56 AM ----------

anyone help us lol?

10+ Year Old Account
    Most of your questions can be answered by other pages, but for times sake I will go ahead and answer them for you.

http://wowtal.com/#k=_5vSW1WM.b0w.paladin.-ShjM5 is likely to be the best spec you can find right now since as ret you will mostly be an off healer & a burst machine every 2 minutes.

As for reforging, go for crit until you reach 15% spell crit. This along with the talents last word & rule of law will assure your Word of Glory casts are always criticals when used on low health targets which helps allot since critical heals now do +200% healing.

After that go for as much mastery as possible when reforging.

For gems use strength in all cases possible unless the slot is yellow & has a bonus of strength, that's when you use strength/crit if your not crit caped, if you are crit caped use strength/resilience for more survivability or strength/mastery for more burst.

Also as far as arena goes, ret can work alright but the spec tends to be overly reliant on teammates compared to other melee specs due to it having so many problems with people who can dispel & it lacking reliable gap closers.
    There is also the issue of dps being left largely up to RNG mechanics, most of the time you will end up cursing at your luck & occasionally being amazed how easily someone went down or how much help you were able to provide an ally.

If you can put up with these ^ shortcomings then ret pvp is for you. If not I would suggest a more reliable pvp spec which tends to exceed in all the same areas while not having nearly as many flaws, that spec is feral.
    The way balancing for WOW PVP works is allot like American politics.
    1: Be lazy & ignore problems till the yelling is so loud your cant concentrate.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Hello, i've played Paladin for a while, and i've followed a lot of high rated Rets, so I can be of a little help here.

First, you want a spec like so http://wowtal.com/#k=Cb5YRCwI.b0w.paladin.
    (Note for RBG's you can also take up Divine Storm, but less so if you have rogues/dk's anything with good aoe flag-cap stopping)

For glyphs;

Prime: Templar's - Seal of Thruth (trust me, you'll need the expertise) - and for a third, i go for Word of Glory, but if you don't wish to do so, Crusader Strike is the next best choice.

Major: Turn Evil (is pretty nifty now UH DK's are back) - You can also choose freely between Cleanse, HoJ & HoW.

Red Gems - Str
    Yellow - Str/Resi. The resi really helps for a class with 1 proper def c/d. (Not counting bubble as it's a better cc breaker, heal to full? LOL OOM!)
    - if you don't want to go Str/resi, then Str/Mastery is your next best choice.
    Blue Gems - Str/Hit

Hit cap at 5% Str - Mastery - Crit
    Reforge any crit/haste to mastery!

Oh, and your weapon, Pyrium weapon chain. 10sec disarm = no CS and no HP gen, therefore no TV or WoG. Sad Panda

Now, go forth and enjoy your massive 80k WoG's on team mates, and gibbing in HoJ's with wings up. But i warn you, prepare to hate mages.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
    First, you want a spec like so http://wowtal.com/#k=Cb5YRCwI.b0w.paladin.
    Other then the bit about crit being bad (its not because of double power critical heals) your advice was decent.

However that spec went out in 4.1 due to the fact WOG has a 20 second base CD & ret has horrible time on target potential.

Most of the time with that spec if you do get a holy power refund you will have nothing to spend it on except to refresh inquisition.

If you found it recently off of someone in high end ranking pvp its likely because they have not played that paladin since 4.1 since many of the top rated ret paladin retired their main paladins when the change to word of glory went live. (better to play an alt then lose a bunch of rating.)
    Last edited by zcks; 2011-07-20 at 05:18 AM.
    2: Refuse to do the things you have Said need to be done, then make up reasons why they cannot be done.
    3: Lay the blame for problems on someone else even when it's your fault because you did all of the above.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    Other then the bit about crit being bad (its not because of double power critical heals) your advice was decent.

However that spec went out in 4.1 due to the fact WOG has a 20 second base CD & ret has horrible time on target potential.

Most of the time with that spec if you do get a holy power refund you will have nothing to spend it on except to refresh inquisition.

When WoG hit a 20 sec c/d i went for http://wowtal.com/#k=CsoKmCkI.b0w.paladin.
    Granted, the 200% heals are fantastic, but with the majortiy of ret teams, are cleave. You go out, you kill. 40second HoJ makes this beautiful.
    Now, that does chance it more too non-crit heals, but i find, for example when playing with my warlock friend, due to one of his armors, fel/demon (i don't know them part) I was able to get a 90k WoG on him. The most i've crit on myself, being around 40k.

Now you do have the ability to peel, (agreed not as great as most classes) But with ret in 2's for example, you'll be running double dps the majority of the time.
    getting Inq up, wings and guardian in a HoJ, if you don't get peeled, is a sure kill.

and be sure to use Holy wrath for that extra RNG on getting a Divine Purpose Proc ( just don't break any cc)

Should also add, It was the spec i used after 4.1 & the Spec a paladin i run Rbg's with plays and his current standing in 3's is 2.4k
    Last edited by mmoc880bad14d2; 2011-07-20 at 05:30 AM.

Thanks dudes - thats been pretty valuable advice.

Will be going home to repec, change a few chants etc and gemming and Farm a whole lot more honor XD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beno View Post
    Thanks dudes - thats been pretty valuable advice.

Will be going home to repec, change a few chants etc and gemming and Farm a whole lot more honor XD

No problem. Just farm & have fun
    & Rage at mages stealing all your buffs

Quote Originally Posted by zcks View Post
    http://wowtal.com/#k=_5vSW1WM.b0w.paladin.-ShjM5 is likely to be the best spec you can find right now since as ret you will mostly be an off healer & a burst machine every 2 minutes.
    Dude, that spec doesn't even have Communion. Communion is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY! Take a point out of Blazing Light for that, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    Dude, that spec doesn't even have Communion. Communion is ABSOLUTELY MANDATORY! Take a point out of Blazing Light for that, at least.
    Oh ty for the heads up, was in a hurry when I made it.

Seeing as how replenishment doesn't work in pvp though it would be nice if something that was always active provided the +3% damage done.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beno View Post
    Thanks dudes - thats been pretty valuable advice.Will be going home to repec, change a few chants etc and gemming and Farm a whole lot more honor XD
    Yes, my thanks too to this thread, I picked up several useful things.