Thread: Renew

Renew

Hello everyone,
    I've been speaking to few priests here and there and i've been noticing that Renew has been coming up a lot. My question is: Should you Renew everybody in the raid (10m) during AoE damage? I can see how it can help but I can't see how it would be worth it to dump 35k mana on something that will tick around 4 times for about 3.6k. Though it can be easily related to spamming PWS as disc, how does Renew fit in to the rotation for AoE healing as a holy priest?

I throw a few renews when im expecting heavy aoe dmg, not "during".
    Last edited by openair; 2011-07-20 at 03:47 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Disc priest, I usually keep it rolling on the tank(s)... and then use it as a top-off for others. Say someone is around 50%, I'll pop a Penance or Greater Heal to get them most of the way back to full and then top em off with a Renew if mana and/or priorities permit.

I raid with a Resto druid though. So if I greater heal that person back the majority of the way, his hots should cover it. When I say AoE healing I mean more along the lines of P2 stacking part for Rag, scorp for majordomo, or downtime for beth, is it worth it to put up a renew on everyone in the raid?

I would put renews on people that are not at full health, or tanks in any case, just before the AoE hits.
    so 2-3 renews (for tanks mainly), a PoM, and then precast PoH so that it hits as soon as the big AoE starts

During aoe damage you should just spam poh/coh and (usually) keep pom on cd. Renew is good for healing people back up after the burst is over, but you shouldn't use it during the aoe.

Also, your renew should be ticking 5 times (not 4).

Deleted
    during aoe
    renew just on tanks

for raid do couple of FH -> PoH - > CoH

keep pom up , put 1st on tank and let it do all 5 heals

If you're in sanc you can preemptively throw some renews out; but by all means do not renew the whole raid. It's unnecessary. If you know it's coming get PoM out, renew a couple of people, and then make sure yuou land a PoH>CoH as the damage hits and then FH the lowest people and then get everyone back up; if it's a pulse, just keep PoM out and PoH/CoH till the pulse stops.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

During aoe damage I usually just put my Renews on players who have lower health relative to others in their group. While Renew is fairly efficient, PoM, PoH, and CoH are even more efficient, so it's best to let those spells do the bulk of your group heals while Renew helps even out raid health. If aoe damage is very high, I will use FH instead on the lower health players.

Renew-spamming is not viable. It just costs too much mana (as you said, 36k mana to heal up everyone. Sanctuary does the same, way way cheaper. Which is saying a lot considering how much sanctuary costs).
    And Renew does not really heal for enough per target to be able to cover healing on a single person alone (as you said, 3.6k ticks isn't all that).
    Renew is ultimately a healing booster spell. Something that heals while you are healing.

Renew is great as a pre-emptive heal though. Use it as a discpriest would use a shield. When anyone is about to take massive damage, a well-placed renew can be cast and soak up some of that damage. Throw them at tanks. Keep one on yourself if you fear dying and the lightwell is down. It's a good spell. It's just not something you want to spam.

Which is incidentially why I really dislike the Rapid Renewal talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Renew-spamming is not viable. It just costs too much mana (as you said, 36k mana to heal up everyone. Sanctuary does the same, way way cheaper. Which is saying a lot considering how much sanctuary costs).
    And Renew does not really heal for enough per target to be able to cover healing on a single person alone (as you said, 3.6k ticks isn't all that).
    Renew is ultimately a healing booster spell. Something that heals while you are healing.

Renew is great as a pre-emptive heal though. Use it as a discpriest would use a shield. When anyone is about to take massive damage, a well-placed renew can be cast and soak up some of that damage. Throw them at tanks. Keep one on yourself if you fear dying and the lightwell is down. It's a good spell. It's just not something you want to spam.

Which is incidentially why I really dislike the Rapid Renewal talent.

To be fair in a raiding environment Renew ticks for a lot more than 3.6k I've even seen 11-13k renew crits.

I was using the OP's numbers here, but yes - renew crits are pretty nice. Not disagreeing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulltimejoke View Post
    As a Disc priest, I usually keep it rolling on the tank(s)... and then use it as a top-off for others. Say someone is around 50%, I'll pop a Penance or Greater Heal to get them most of the way back to full and then top em off with a Renew if mana and/or priorities permit.
    As a disc priest I never use renew in a PvE setting.

Renew is solid to cover predictable incoming damage (dots, tank damage, rageface melee damage, domo crystals, etc), and esp if you're just chakra refreshing in a low aoe phase on a handful of targets.. but you should never be blanketing the raid with it, esp if you have a rdruid. In a 10m with an druid renew is almost a total waste besides on tanks, and you should keep in mind that it has almost zero benefit from mastery which is likely your 1st or 2nd secondary stat. If you have mana to spare by all means but generally speaking if you're worried about mana it will be one of your top sources of overheal

Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    As a disc priest I never use renew in a PvE setting.
    You should. Situationally, but still; it has it's place.

Deleted
    During heavy AoE I only keep renew on the tank while alternating PoH on groups with CoH if more heal is needed. PoM on tank on CD since it will bounce a lot. Domo scorp is a good example where a HST build is awesome, at about 8 stacks my current HST allows me to hit both groups with PoH before the next hit(~2.1s cast time), but it's rather close and I run about 1600 HST rating 900 MST as holy atm. But when we run out for cat I usually toss out quite a few renews to make sure everyone is topped, if they are missing too much or too many are still low 1-2 PoH + renew blanket is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    During heavy AoE I only keep renew on the tank while alternating PoH on groups with CoH if more heal is needed. PoM on tank on CD since it will bounce a lot. Domo scorp is a good example where a HST build is awesome, at about 8 stacks my current HST allows me to hit both groups with PoH before the next hit(~2.1s cast time), but it's rather close and I run about 1600 HST rating 900 MST as holy atm. But when we run out for cat I usually toss out quite a few renews to make sure everyone is topped, if they are missing too much or too many are still low 1-2 PoH + renew blanket is more than enough.
    Like Docta said, my renew is going to be more than a waste considering I raid with a resto druid where topping people off wit HoTs is his thing. I raid as holy, so when we spread for cat I usually throw out either a CoH or PoH and my mastery will take care of the rest for me along with the Rejuvenation / Wild Growth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaizey View Post
    Like Docta said, my renew is going to be more than a waste considering I raid with a resto druid where topping people off wit HoTs is his thing. I raid as holy, so when we spread for cat I usually throw out either a CoH or PoH and my mastery will take care of the rest for me along with the Rejuvenation / Wild Growth.
    We spread around the circle which means all healers can't reach all targets, so I make sure to get the people in my range up to full, never assume your druid will handle it.

Checked the last domo kill I healed, my renew was 9% healing with 16.5% overheal. But this was without our resto druid, seems I haven't healed the fight with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Wablakin View Post
    We spread around the circle which means all healers can't reach all targets, so I make sure to get the people in my range up to full, never assume your druid will handle it.

Checked the last domo kill I healed, my renew was 9% healing with 16.5% overheal. But this was without our resto druid, seems I haven't healed the fight with him.
    Ah okay, how my guild does it is we position ourselves so we're all in range of everybody.