Holy Paladin "Light of Dawn" addon?/idea

As a raiding holy paladin I often find it difficult to use Light of Dawn when people aren't in a stacking phase of a fight. While raiding I saw the DBM "range checker" which is a small square with your character location and direction in the center, a transparent circle that covers how ever many yards are required for the range check, and all your raid members are shown just like a mini-mini-map. When there are people in the circle it turns red and green when there aren't. Would it be possible to do the same with a cone shape for Light of Dawn or has something similar already been done?

Deleted
    It is possible to do this, I have no idea how LUA works so unfortunately I cant write it myself but I would be very interested in something like this. As far as im aware nothing like this have been done before.

I mean... it would certainly be handy. But seriously, when you're using light of dawn it's usually pretty obvious when the best time to use it is. Might just be me though.

If someone wants to type that up and would be willing to show the code, I'd be pretty interested. I've always been curious how to make add ons.

I know there are times when it's really obvious when to use it, but a further addition to the addon (I'm no programmer so I don't know if this is possible with WoW's .lua) that could make using Light of Dawn MUCH more efficient would be to have a counter showing how many people are currently in its cone for those fights where everyone is running around like chickens trying to fight stuff.

Deleted
    You'd have to pretty much implement an exact coordinate -> yard conversion for every raid in the game, then do a shitload of calculations on the fly with the number of calcs scaling exponentially with the number of raid members.

I'm not sure that it'd be possible without wrecking your FPS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Treeston View Post
    You'd have to pretty much implement an exact coordinate -> yard conversion for every raid in the game, then do a shitload of calculations on the fly with the number of calcs scaling exponentially with the number of raid members.

I'm not sure that it'd be possible without wrecking your FPS.
    Correct me if im wrong but writing an extension of the Bigwigs range checker should do just fine. All you would have to do is decrease the circle from 360 degrees to X degrees (im not sure how many degrees LoD is) and set the range to 30 yards (this is already possible with bigwigs) then it could be red untill 4 or more players is within the cone, if 4 or more players is inside then it could turn green or yellow.

I added a picture so it is easier to understand.
    Last edited by mmocba105e19de; 2011-07-20 at 05:39 PM.

Deleted
    Hmm. I'll take a look at it. Later.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacer View Post
    Correct me if im wrong but writing an extension of the Bigwigs range checker should do just fine. All you would have to do is decrease the circle from 360 degrees to X degrees (im not sure how many degrees LoD is) and set the range to 30 yards (this is already possible with bigwigs) then it could be red untill 4 or more players is within the cone, if 4 or more players is inside then it could turn green or yellow.

I added a picture so it is easier to understand.
    Thanks for posting the image Pacer, this is exactly what I had in mind!

Hmmm interesting idea! I would definitely beta-test this addon if someone made it.

I don't know anything about coding addons but I imagine the main difficulty would be to not only test the distance to fellow players, but also their position with respect to you.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

I found this thread on the "angle" of Light of Dawn and unless there's been a recent hotfix, the spell works in a rectangular fashion rather than a triangular cone:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065569682
    I had no idea that this is how it worked :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by slappy102 View Post
    I found this thread on the "angle" of Light of Dawn and unless there's been a recent hotfix, the spell works in a rectangular fashion rather than a triangular cone:
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2065569682
    I had no idea that this is how it worked :P
    Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention, I had no idea that that was how it worked.