Quick question about mortherboards

When you buy a new motherboard shouldn't the box be wrapped in clear plastic? I'm not sure but I thought it should be.

If the answer is no how can we know if it isn't used or a demo board?

I just got a new motherboard today and there is something sticky on it, makes my fingers sticky when I hold it and there are some small scratches to.

Going to hand it in but I was wondering how I can be sure the next one I get is actually brand new?

10+ Year Old Account
    Not any more... since the "clear" plastic that used to be used has been found to be more hazardous that the "problem it solves"

Now there's usually just a round bit of selotape on all the "openings"

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Not any more... since the "clear" plastic that used to be used has been found to be more hazardous that the "problem it solves"

Now there's usually just a round bit of selotape on all the "openings"
    There wasn't any sticker/tape on the box or even the antistatick bag the motherboard came in either.

It was an Asus P8Z68-V Pro btw, anyone that have that board and remember if there were anything like a sticker you had to "break" to open the box that made you sure the product was actually new?

10+ Year Old Account
    send it back then and get them to replace it. Unless you got it at a cut down price.

Even if there's nothing wrong with it (as far as you can tell) the warranty will be void.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-07-20 at 05:06 PM.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    There will be the box sata connectors, warranty info, manual, driver cd, motherboard in an anti static bag with a small piece of tape to seal the fold. That is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    There will be the box sata connectors, warranty info, manual, driver cd, motherboard in an anti static bag with a small piece of tape to seal the fold. That is it.
    I just talked to someone at Asus, the said they don't seal the antistatic bag anymore(at least that was what he said) but there should be a sticker on the cardboard box, so it should be fairly obvious if anyone have tried to open it.

Going to hand it in tomorrow and will use eagle eyes on the new one to make sure it's new, don't want another board that is sticky and with scratches on it.

Hope this one will have some kind of seal so I'll be sure it's actually new.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsterbom View Post
    I just talked to someone at Asus, the said they don't seal the antistatic bag anymore(at least that was what he said) but there should be a sticker on the cardboard box, so it should be fairly obvious if anyone have tried to open it.

Going to hand it in tomorrow and will use eagle eyes on the new one to make sure it's new, don't want another board that is sticky and with scratches on it.

Hope this one will have some kind of seal so I'll be sure it's actually new.
    No they stopped sealing the bags because people often broke components when opening the bag.

No they stopped sealing the bags because people often broke components when opening the bag.
    Ok that made me giggle. :s Was imagining Homer Simpsons when trying to open a beer, when he started to act like a monkey and hitting it because he couldn't get the cap off.
    Last edited by Exeris; 2011-07-20 at 05:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you guys serious? I've never heard of a motherboard that didn't come in an antistatic bag, I would treat it as suspicious...and I've bought a fairly recent mobo (P67 B3 rev.) so it can't be a new packaging trend.
    Plus if it's sticky and has scratches that obviously shouldn't be there, I would return it ASAP.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-07-20 at 05:44 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Are you guys serious? I've never heard of a motherboard that didn't come in an antistatic bag, I would treat it as suspicious...and I've bought a fairly recent mobo (P67 B3 rev.) so it can't be a new packaging trend.
    Plus if it's sticky and has scratches that obviously shouldn't be there, I would return it ASAP.
    I said they stopped putting clear plastic bags on the box :P not that they stopped putting the board in an anti-static bag. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    My bad, I read it wrong at the "they don't seal the antistatic bags anymore" part and thought he said "they don't seal it in antistatic bags anymore".

Which sounds right, mostly they're just folded at the end or have a sticker/tape on it.

But the scratches/stickyness still sound wrong.

Going to ninja my own thread here.

Is the Asus P8Z68-V Pro a bad choice for any reason, like outdated chipset or something?

---------- Post added 2011-07-20 at 07:51 PM ----------

My bad, I read it wrong at the "they don't seal the antistatic bags anymore" part and thought he said "they don't seal it in antistatic bags anymore".

Which sounds right, mostly they're just folded at the end or have a sticker/tape on it.

There was something stuck on the backside of it to, hard to explain. It was the size of about 1cm, round, soft/sticky and red and black. Looked kinda like a small piece of glue/rubber or chewing gum. Going to show it to the people I bought it from.

edit: Bought a lot of motherboards and never have they been sticky. ;p
    Last edited by Exeris; 2011-07-20 at 05:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Is the Asus P8Z68-V Pro a bad choice for any reason, like outdated chipset or something?
    Hope its not .... since I'm planning to get one.

---------- Post added 2011-07-20 at 06:52 PM ----------

You remember back in idunno 98-2000 they used to thermally seal the anti-static bags?

Nope, Z68 is as new as you can get for Intel processors

10+ Year Old Account
    You remember back in idunno 98-2000 they used to thermally seal the anti-static bags?
    I remember when you need a freaking knife to open almost EVERYTHING from the anti-static bags (airproof and waterproof, go figure), the CPU, those little packets of screws, etc.