Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Minimum amount of hit that you'd run with?

Currently at 16.31 for both affliction and demo and wondering if that's too low :\

Absolute minimum? Probably 16% as demo, but I still aim for ~17%

And then 17% for aff or destro

Guess i'll reforge the crit off my gloves for hit even though i'll probably be demo for the whole night working on H rhyolith

I really just don't like to be below 17%, personally. If you're good enough and/or have a good enough setup you can recover from misses (and in some instances sacrificing hit for other stats has been simmed to be a dps increase [eg, for Destro reaching the 30% raidbuffed haste plateau if it means dropping a little below 17% hit]), but I just don't want to risk the chance of missing an important ability at a crucial time. If you're not pushing for world or even just server firsts, I think a negligible dps loss is worth the certainty of being able to hit every spell in a clutch moment.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

I'm at 16.06% as Affli, and that's way too low for my taste. Today alone I've missed 4 Haunts. Costly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    I'm at 16.06% as Affli, and that's way too low for my taste. Today alone I've missed 4 Haunts. Costly.
    Yep, this is exactly what I mean ... even at 16.99% hit you will miss a spell eventually ... and it could be a Haunt, or Hand of Gul'dan, or Conflagrate ... and it could happen at the most inopportune moment, possibly being the difference between a kill and a wipe ... sure, that's an extreme scenario, but sometimes the extremes of possibility do occur. I'd rather take a slight, but quantifiable, sustained dps loss than run the risk of missing that one spell in a million since you just can't know when that one in a million scenario will occur.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Count Zero View Post
    Yep, this is exactly what I mean ... even at 16.99% hit you will miss a spell eventually ... and it could be a Haunt, or Hand of Gul'dan, or Conflagrate ... and it could happen at the most inopportune moment, possibly being the difference between a kill and a wipe ... sure, that's an extreme scenario, but sometimes the extremes of possibility do occur. I'd rather take a slight, but quantifiable, sustained dps loss than run the risk of missing that one spell in a million since you just can't know when that one in a million scenario will occur.
    Hand of Gul'dans initial hit cannot miss which is entirely the reason why you are able to be lacking on a small bit of hit as demo. However for other specs it is extremely important that you are capped if conflag or haunt miss you are losing a ton of potential dps.

I would say 16% demo 17% afflict and destro do no dip under 17% as those two specs.

You could below 17%, but honestly, there is so much stuff with hit on it this tier, there isn't really a reason to be under. Last tier I did 15%, and personally I did not see a large amount of misses. Maybe 2 shadow bolts, or like 1 haunt. And for some, that's like omg!!! But I was able to gain an extra tick for UA which greatly made up for those losses.

This tier, there is tons of hit and tons of haste, so no reason to be under really.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgil View Post
    Hand of Gul'dans initial hit cannot miss which is entirely the reason why you are able to be lacking on a small bit of hit as demo. However for other specs it is extremely important that you are capped if conflag or haunt miss you are losing a ton of potential dps.

I would say 16% demo 17% afflict and destro do no dip under 17% as those two specs.
    Oooh, Demo is just my offspec for when our Ele Sham isn't around, so I don't really keep up with it. Didn't realize about Hand of Gul'dan. Thanks.

I've dropped as low as 15% but it wasn't for long. 16% is the lowest I'm comfortable with.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd run with 16.50% the lowest, which I had in the past. Currently I'm doing 16.97%.

I have the sort of luck where if I had 16.99% hit rating, I would miss 4 or 5 Haunts in a single fight. I have gone through entire boss fights in ICC as Demonology without a single Molten Core proc, so I am not exaggerating too badly here. Capped or bust for me, not matter what some math says or whatever; I don't feel safe without the cap.

hrm

I see ^^ but it is like that

My opinion i just don't feel safe with a "Chance" to miss. It could be something minor or something important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Basmothel View Post
    I have gone through entire boss fights in ICC as Demonology without a single Molten Core proc
    that made me rofl

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd draw the line at 13% or so. Currently running with with 15%... I'm never capped, ever. \:

Yesterday I had 14% even!

In BWD/BoT, I briefly had 13% hit for 2 weeks... it was so unbelievably terrible S: I had reforged all my gear for haste threshold as destro... Sims suggested it would be better but I hated missing so much.

Thanks Sokogeka<3

I'll run with whatever is mathematically optimal, so if that tells me to use 0% hit then I'll do it. As it happens, being close to 17% is good, so I haven't dropped below about 16.7 in a while.

The thing you need to realise is that being at/over the cap isn't always the best solution, nor is the closest to the cap. Sometimes you'll gain dps by dropping 10 or so hit because you do so by reforging lower value stats to get there. Being OVER the cap, even by a small amount, is almost never the best solution beacuse you're wasting stats.
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-07-21 at 12:37 PM.

Anything below 16.6 and I wouldn't be happy. I've been running at 16.8 since Firelands started, and I can't recall a time that something missed.

Deleted
    I just don't see the DPS increase when i go back up in hit. I am currently 15.4% (or so). I know it's a bit scary to miss a SB on say Scions, but hey. There s a DK gripping my ad...

I reforge to 1550 hit (about 15.4%) so i can get 2689 haste rating (30.4% raid buffed).
    sure i miss a SB now and then, but since Firelands launched i swear i must have only missed 3-4 haunts.

I dropped to 13.7% hit with a couple of new items and decided to try it out with Affliction on a boss dummy over 3 million damage.

In the entire fight, I missed only 2 shadowbolts. Nothing else.

I tend to aim for 17%, but only through reforging, never through gems and enchants, so if I drop below it I tend not to notice much difference in DPS. I'd say 15% is more than acceptable.
    -Cazic, 85 Death Knight, Draenor-EU
    -Chaosweaver, 85 Warlock, Draenor-EU