Disc VS Necrotic Strike

I'm having some trouble currently against Unholy DKs as a disc priest. Specificly ones that stack Necrotic Strike.
    I find it hard to counter their Necrotic Strikes because the majority of my survivability isn't based of heals but absorbs.
    So i can't seem to get rid of the stacks and when shit hits the fan i'm pretty much sacked with a huge Necrotic absorb on me, the only way i manage to get rid of it is by burning my mana.

And before you mention it, wasting DRs and CDs on CC just for the sake of Necrotic Strikes doesn't seem like the best way to manage it.
    Currently my partner is forced to peel him off me, forcing us to go defensive and using CDs defensivly.
    It's not the initial assault that bothers me, cause i can use PW:S to counter the necrotic strike, but it also backfires when they start stacking it.

This is directed towards 2v2. I'm just wondering how to cope with it, because i'm struggling with it abit now.

And please keep the "The game isn't balance around 2v2" "L2P noob" horseshit to yourself, i'm asking for actual advise from experienced priests.
    There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want

Deleted
    i never had much of a problem with it in 2v2 unless the DK was in a double DPS team, but if the DK was with a healer partner the NS did no way near enough dmg to be a threat, but with double dps, the DK stacking NS can be a real issue, i also have issues on my disc priest, i can clear the NS, but it uses a lot of mana. a good way to do it is to have your team mate pull the DK off you, and you gota run and hide until the debuff goes, it doesnt last that long if i remember correctly.

Deleted
    I'm not able to help you much from a priest perspective, but from a resto druids:

When I see a dk stacking NS on me/another I will use any instants/direct heals to counter it straight away before he stacks it to the max, if he realises that he's not gonna be able to stack it well enough, he'll generally change tactic. this also prevents it from biting you in the arse when you need health and theres a 40k NS on you!

So any fast casting, medium heals (5-15k) try and use thoses as he stacks NS

and ofcourse.. CC as much as possible.

fake casting, make friends with it. That however can only go so far...your partner needs to peel the dk off you, if you fear and he pops lichborne, shackle the dk etc, get interrupt bar to track his mind freeze cooldown, thats about it. dks typically just rape priests so its not like you are doing anything wrong. its just a counter, much like mages are to melee, hunters are to mages etc...most you can do on the move is renew and pom, maybe spam holy nova...but make best of friends with inner focus, a free flash/greater heal thats uninterruptable, and it will allow you to get off 2 flash heals and a penance, only problem is at higher rating better dks will grip your first cast heal, then gnaw the second one making you waste a very valuable defensive cd.

odd question, but....What realm do you play on OP

And generally, a priest won't be able to heal through a dk stacking necrotic strike for more than a 2-3 min match even with mage peels. It is completely ridiculous, but its the same deal with frost DK damage too.
    Last edited by notbob; 2011-07-20 at 11:15 PM.

Link your armory so we can inspect your gear also, maybe you dont have mooncloth set bonus, and god help you if you dont...

10+ Year Old Account
    I hit PoM on CD and juke inturpets to keep it from stacking too bad.

Deleted
    Use your instant casts first. what you need to do is to fake the mind freeze. Once you faked the mind freeze, you can start casting and he'll have to use his pet stun or death grip to interupt you. Once the DK has done that you can use your innerfocus to heal yourself up. If you dont fake cast him, and just straight up use your innerfocus he'll just use pet stun and death grip, and then you're fucked.

NS debuff only lasts 10sec. If you see a DK going for a monster stack, thus blowing Runic Empowerment to get more stacked, its upto you and your team to peel the DK. Either by CC or slows you need to avoid him for 10sec and all his effort, and 5min cd wouldve been wasted on pisspoor damage.

Also, dont wait to long before you start healing. I see alot of healers wait till they drop before they start healing. Upfront NS deals very little damage, so the threat to a Disc priest is that it doesnt break PW:S very quickly, making it seem like your healthpool is in, well.. good health. But in reality you got a large chuck of NS stacked. Making it very difficult to fight back when the damage starts comming.

Basicly, when you see that NS stacking either you need to be in a position (through teamplay aswell) to ditch the stack by peeling the DK. Or you need to start getting rid of it as fast as possible, not letting it stack up very high. Its an ability that requieres your immediate attention, and its the single most threatening thing a DK can do to you as a healer.

I have no problems faking interrupts, i'm experienced as a Resto Shaman and Holy Paladin - but i recently switched to a Priest.
    Its just that i dont have to really cast any heals until they stack up to high and a HoJ stun or so could fuck me over to recupe from it.

I dont mean to sound cocky, but i'm a great healer, i've got lots of experience as a healer in general, but never the pre-emptive healing like Disc unlike the reactive healing like paladins and shamans. So i was just hoping there was a better way as a disc priest to get rid of the Necrotic Strikes opposed to just wasting mana.
    At the moment we're forced to play defensive to get rid of the necrotic strikes, else i have to waste valuable mana to get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by icegoddess View Post
    Link your armory so we can inspect your gear also, maybe you dont have mooncloth set bonus, and god help you if you dont...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Corb/advanced

Deleted
    You see dk swap to you, then you make sure to pws->renew (for 5th tick with BT) yourself as much as possible with shields+pom and penance on cd. You can also mind control the dk to get him off you, or at least make him mind freeze it, which will let you heal freely, also if you can get pom to bounce fully vs DK it's quite powerful. Remember shields stop the bouncing till they break, so don't shield your partner if you want it to bounce.

In general though, 2s vs dk/healer teams however is quite horrible though as a disc priest.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, before we go about telling everyone off for saying "It's not balanced around 2v2", it isn't. Death Knights eat Priests for breakfast, I say this as a Priest and a Death Knight. I see a lot of mentioning on how Death Knights are the hardest counter to a Disc Priest and that they are generally a joke for them in the arena.

What is your team mate? It's not always a bad thing to sit on the Death Knight, especially with the self-healing nerfs. As a DK, I have found Rogue/Healer to be my bane in 2v2.

As for the actual stack, it's been said, keep Renew rolling and PW:S/ProM up on CD. Don't be afraid to use Desperate Prayer to remove a heavy stack and remember to use Inner Focus when you really need it (beware of Death Grip though).

edit: Right, your partner is a DK. Is he Frost or Unholy? His reforging is all over the place. Frost = Mastery, Unholy = Haste but he reforged everything to Mastery and Hit (still not hit capped) but also reforged out of Mastery.

"Its just that i dont have to really cast any heals until they stack up to high"

What does this mean? Consider NS an extended part of your health bar, I roll over healers that do this. Pop CDs -> NS spam, Emp. Rune Weapon, NS spam. The healer is on 80-90% health with a 60k NS stack on it, which they ignore. I then use my 130 Runic Power, Strangulate and Howling Blast to punish their inability to read debuffs. Do what the smart healers do, don't let NS stack up high, don't be afraid to remove 4k/9k NS', don't be afraid to do some early juking.
    Last edited by Ultima; 2011-07-22 at 03:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Powell View Post
    Its just that i dont have to really cast any heals until they stack up to high and a HoJ stun or so could fuck me over to recupe from it.
    This is probably whats going wrong for you. Waiting for it to stack up before you start taking is serious is the worst thing you can do. And those are the kind of healers that are a nutricious breakfast for any Death Knight.
    So, perhaps you're being a little to cocky with the "great healer" part.

As i said previously, i'm used to reactive healing, i've only recently gone to Disc PvP, so i'm still learning.
    No, i'm not whining about the balance of 2v2, and thats not the issue, so don't mention that, i'm was asking for advice on how to counter NS properly as a Disc Priest, as i was hoping there might have been some tricks to get around it other then just reactive healing.

NS only expires from direct healing or if the debuff runs out. So that basicly limits it to immediatly outhealing the debuff asap, wich also stops the 30% debuff.
    Or avoiding the DK for 10seconds.

Unfortunatly Ultima is right, DKs certainly ARE our PvP counter class, and the game is not balance around 2s. But let me see if i can help a bit anyway.

As everyone else has said, you CANNOT wait for these to stack up, as soon as you see the NS debuff, you gotta drop it off. Usually 1 PoM and a renew tick can do it for me (im glyphed for pom). However, if not you can use the tried and true tactic of use pennance to juke. Cast pennance, cancel after 2 ticks. You get ~8k healing, 2 stacks of grace and ~10 seconds to free heal (minus the fact that they can point blank DG you....wtb min range?). Keep moving, keep sheilds/renew/PoM up.

If you need space, fear them, wait for the lichborn and shakle them. Bad DKs will sit in it, good ones will cancel lich. If you see NS stacking to high, in a pinch you can pop inner focus/2x flash heal. Tho i'd make sure DG is on CD first.

Something that cannot be stressed enough is the face that NS is only dangerous if you let it stack up. If you get used to keeping it off, its not the worst part of DKs.

dont be afraid to start healing at 100% health
    #1 Resto Tree Slap DPS

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by terrahero View Post
    Or avoiding the DK for 10seconds.
    Not sure if trolling or serious.

Quote Originally Posted by iscran View Post
    Not sure if trolling or serious.
    I see what you did there. You implied that DKs are unCCable, unkiteable, unslowable and unrootable while Death Grip and Chains of Ice can be infinitely used without any cooldown whatsoever.

Your a funny guy

you could always refrain from using pw:S while fighting a DK. /shrug

I mean if thats the ONLY place your specific problem is, just heal differently VS dk's. Seems to work for my partner.