healing Bal as disc

hi all

I raid 25's and as holy. However, our disc priest does so well on Bal, that i thought i'd bring along a disc spec just for that fight.

I have 3 question

1) is having multiple disc priest feasable on that fight.

a litle info about our setup. We use 6 heals, broken into 3 groups of 2. There are always 2 groups (so, 4 healers) assigned to the tanks, and 1 grp will be healing the dps taking the crystals. The healers in each group know whether they are to heal the melee or ranged player on crystal. The groups rotate every time a new set of crystals drops.
    So, if we were to have 2 disc priest, in seperate groups of course, we would have roughly 1/3 of the fight where both disc priest were healing the tanks.

I understand it would diminish each disc priest effectiveness when they are both on the same target. But the upside is that there will always be a disc priest on the tank.

2) When healing the dps on crystal, what is the best rotation for building up stacks of the healing buff?

3) What is the best spell rotation for healing the tanks?

thanks for any help

Deleted
    Having two disc priests is certainly feasible. We did it with 2 Holy Paladins, 2 disc priests and 1 resto druid though at a push we could have done it without the druid.

For the tank its important to ensure that you reactivate your stacks if they fall off. I tend to save penance for this. Theres nothing worse than casting a greater heal , having your stacks fall off mid cast, leaving your greater heal unbuffed so you have to cast again in order to get a "beefy" heal on the tank.

When healing crystal targets: Unless you have mana to burn or need to get more stacks faster, just heal at the start then switch to flash heal/greater heal near the end and the crystal starts hurting. Don't forget to shield the target (Glyph of Power Word: Shield grants a stack of the vital buff) then use the Borrowed Time to cast a hastened penance and heal/flash heal.

I would recommend the use of Glyph of Penance if you are not already using it. I also like having more haste on this fight for faster stacking and the ability to top the tank up faster.
    Last edited by mmoc230b92349f; 2011-07-21 at 12:40 AM.

For stacking the buffs I start casting heal when they get 1 stack it usually hits at 3 stacks I bubble then flash heal till 8 stacks and then I pennance. I usually get 12-14 stacks per person with this rotation.

Penance only gives 1 stack per tick of Penance - so 3 stacks maximum. It's not affected by the "Torment Multiplier" so it's useless.

Heal -> PW:S -> FH FH FH FH -> PW:S -> FH FH FH FH -> PW:S. You get a lot more stacks if you have a shadow priest tank it to 25 stacks with Sac & Dispersion.

Also, definitely make sure you have Glyph of PW:S

For tanks you have to remember that you have 2.4 seconds to heal the tank back to full after each Decimation blade hit (there's 5 total). The best thing to do here is keep PW:S on the tank as often as possible and cancelcast Flash Heals on them.
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Penance only gives 1 stack per tick of Penance - so 3 stacks maximum. It's not affected by the "Torment Multiplier" so it's useless.

Heal -> PW:S -> FH FH FH FH -> PW:S -> FH FH FH FH -> PW:S. You get a lot more stacks if you have a shadow priest tank it to 25 stacks with Sac & Dispersion.

Also, definitely make sure you have Glyph of PW:S

For tanks you have to remember that you have 2.4 seconds to heal the tank back to full after each Decimation blade hit (there's 5 total). The best thing to do here is keep PW:S on the tank as often as possible and cancelcast Flash Heals on them.

THANKYOU STAR!

Everything said is exactly what needs to be done. Make sure your dps are stacking as high as possible; keep a good streamline of communication between yourself and the dps taking torment so you and your other healers are being as effective as possible.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazi View Post
    Penance actually is affected by Torment, it's just that it only gives 1/3 of the total per tick, and this per-tick amount seems to be rounded down. So for example if your target has 18 stacks, you will get 18 / 3 / 3 = 2 stacks per tick. If your target has 17 stacks, you will get 17 / 3 / 3 = 1.89, which gets rounded down to 1.

What this basically means is penance is only worth casting at 3, 9, and 18 stacks (and FH is still better if you can spare the mana).

Quote Originally Posted by Wuga View Post
    Penance actually is affected by Torment, it's just that it only gives 1/3 of the total per tick, and this per-tick amount seems to be rounded down. So for example if your target has 18 stacks, you will get 18 / 3 / 3 = 2 stacks per tick. If your target has 17 stacks, you will get 17 / 3 / 3 = 1.89, which gets rounded down to 1.

What this basically means is penance is only worth casting at 3, 9, and 18 stacks (and FH is still better if you can spare the mana).

The point is 3 FH's (If you're geared for it) > Penance. Glyph PW:S and there is a ton of stacks during your phase of the rotation.

Edit: I cursed on accident. Sorry Kel <3

Edit2: For clarity's sake; a lot of disc priests are saying "Penance on CD! It's awesome for stacks" which was the point of Starsz's comment.
    Last edited by Peppercat; 2011-07-21 at 03:20 PM.
    DO NOT ASK 4 NINNERVATE!>?

Thanks for giving the exact math on how it works - but it's still useless for the most part and spamming FH is going to be better, as you said. It would just be too much RNG/timing to land a penance right on 18 and it would also not remove WS via SoS as FH/Heal/Gheal would which, PW:S, is hands down the best method of getting stacks. Penance also acts super funky with latency all around. For instance:

[22:46:44.837] Starsz Greater Heal Durnk +0 (O: 25222)
    [22:46:45.217] Starsz gains Vital Flame from Starsz
    [22:46:45.217] Starsz's Vital Spark fades from Starsz
    [22:46:45.291] Starsz Penance Durnk +0 (O: 7316)
    [22:46:45.621] Durnk gains Grace from Starsz
    [22:46:46.023] Durnk gains Grace (2) from Starsz
    [22:46:46.052] Starsz Penance Durnk +0 (O: 30125)
    [22:46:46.847] Durnk gains Grace (3) from Starsz

I gained Vital flame but that first tick of Penance did not give the buff (and I can't turn off bold when I copy and past something with bolded text, this new editor is teh sux sometimes). The best method for ACTIVATING Vital Flame, however, IS Penance since it will trigger the buff on the first tick and get at least 1 tick with the buffed heal. I pretty much save my CD exclusively for this or use it RIGHT as it comes off CD so it's up again to trigger Flame.

[22:47:16.177] Starsz Penance Durnk +7856
    [22:47:16.550] Starsz gains Vital Flame from Starsz
    [22:47:16.550] Starsz's Vital Spark fades from Starsz
    [22:47:16.988] Durnk gains Grace from Starsz
    [22:47:17.030] Starsz Penance Durnk +*60244*
    [22:47:17.778] Durnk gains Divine Aegis from Starsz (Remaining: 24908)
    [22:47:17.778] Durnk gains Inspiration from Starsz
    [22:47:17.778] Durnk gains Grace (2) from Starsz
    [22:47:17.930] Starsz Penance Durnk +31270
    Pixl Returned! Holy Priest