Page 1 of 2
LastLast

wich is the best ddr3 graphic card?

hey guys i need some help, mi pc is a bit old, got intel 2 core quad, 4 gb and a crappy grpahic card, this pc just have a ddr3 entrance so i need some help, i dont care about the money i just want the bes ddr 3 card out there

pd: srry for my english

hd 6980 or geforce 580

6990 and 590 are the ultimate best right now, however those two are not designed for a single monitor with 1920x1080 or below

You can't put a graphics card into a ddr3 slot.... ddr3 slots are for ram. Graphics cards go in pci-e slots.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    getting the "Best" or even high end graphics for a system 2 generations old makes little sense
    a gtx 560ti or hd 6770 would be your best bet unless you plan on replacing the whole computer fairly soon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    You can't put a graphics card into a ddr3 slot.... ddr3 slots are for ram. Graphics cards go in pci-e slots.
    DDR3 is a reference to the memory bandwidth....not the actual slot. DDR 1-4 currently exist in both memory and GPU memory, but DDR 5 is only in GPUs as of now. The higher the number, generally the faster the memory/GPU will be with computations. DDR5 is a combo of the better parts of 3 and 4, as I understand it.

Edit - And just because I said that DDR4 exists in memory doesn't mean that it's out right now....I realize that it's a work in progress, but we should see DDR4 RAM here in a few months.
    Last edited by Muya; 2011-07-21 at 08:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    DDR3 is a RAM transfer mode which sends data on the rising and falling clock cycle of a computer. Basically, this has nothing to do with your video card short of the speed of the transfer of data within the card. There are no "DDR3" lanes explicitly, so I'm assuming you mean PCIE x16 2.0. (DDR3 "lanes" would be DIMM slots. Herp.) Whoever recommended the "6980" is an idiot, as the 6980 doesn't exist.

At the moment the 580 and 6970 are the two most powerful single GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) cards on the market. This means that there is only a single graphics card on the GPU's board. The alternative would be dual-GPU graphics cards such as the 590 and 6990, which are technically speaking, the best "SINGLE" graphics card out there right now. However, if your motherboard supports Scalable Link Interface (SLI) or Crossfire, then two 580's surpasses the performance of a single 590.

You see in the world of graphics cards, heat is the number one issue. Currently, we haven't hit bottle necks on PCI lanes yet, so heat mitigation is paramount until we hit these caps. Since two GPU's on a single mainboard of a graphics card is bound to generate more than twice the heat of a single card, heat mitigation methods must be taken. The heat mitigation that the two current generation dual GPU cards have taken is larger fans to draw hot air away from the GPU, and downclocking the GPU.

For reference, the 590 is two 580 GPU's on a single card, only downclocked. Likewise, the 6990 is two 6970's on a single card.

So, let's put that in more financial terms. Dual GPU cards are going to cost you. A LOT. They really aren't entirely wroth it unless you have a single 16x lane on your motherboard, or need a large resolution. Since you have an older system, I'm assuming you're not doing anything extreme, so I wouldn't consider a dual GPU setup.

If you have a lot of money to throw at your computer, I'd choose the 580. If you don't, the 560 ti, 6950, 6970, 570, and 6870 are all viable choices for graphics solutions, depending on the amount of money you want to spend.

I hope this helped.
    (Offtopic question. How the hell can people say 6990>590 if the 580>6970?)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    A single 580 uses too much power, so the GTX 590 is crippled. This combined with a few other issues and the result is that 590 is slower than 6990. Even this way the 6990 uses less power, lol.
    Power consumption is the reason that we didn't get a GTX 490 card.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2011-07-21 at 09:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Muya View Post
    DDR3 is a reference to the memory bandwidth....not the actual slot. DDR 1-4 currently exist in both memory and GPU memory, but DDR 5 is only in GPUs as of now. The higher the number, generally the faster the memory/GPU will be with computations. DDR5 is a combo of the better parts of 3 and 4, as I understand it.

Edit - And just because I said that DDR4 exists in memory doesn't mean that it's out right now....I realize that it's a work in progress, but we should see DDR4 RAM here in a few months.
    Really when I read OP I get the impression that he/she thinks the pc needs a graphics card with DDR3 memory because he/she wants to put it into a DDR3 memory slot. o.O Which of course isn't possible.

Alt 2 is that OP's motherboard uses DDR3 and he/she thinks it's needed to have the same kind of memory on the graphics card, which it isn't.

Whoever recommended the "6980" is an idiot, as the 6980 doesn't exist.
    Doesn't need to be an idiot or someone who deserves to be bashed. Maybe they missed one digit. Even if they didn't, simple mistake.

Because the 6990 usually performs or performed better. Especially during the 590's launch when the reviews were made, the 590 had a lot of issues making it look not so good.

590's GF 110 cores are SEVERELY downclocked due to power and heat concerns. Trying to overclock it has occasionally resulted in burning graphics cards, bugged drivers or not. AMD's architecture is somwehat more energy efficient so they didn't have to downclock their cores as much.

Adding on fuzzykin's post ( which was probably an 100% answer to ur question) DDR3 ram is the memory of your system, on a graphics card it would be GDDR3 and mostly lower-end graphics cards on any new series use it.

However, there is no downside when ur graphics card uses GDDR4/5 and it should still work 100% with your system, since you put ur graphics card in the PCI-E lanes UNDERNEATH ur processor socket not the Ram sockets NEXT to ur processor (usualy to the right, can't think of any board that doesnt put the memory right of the cpu socket, minus the SR-2 that is.)

However, i see you are using a Core 2 Quad which sadly still has a North Bridge, I am afraid anything over GTX460/560 would be a severe bottleneck to ur system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I missing something or is the word idiot taken as more insulting than it's supposed to be? "2. a foolish or senseless person" I called him foolish. Would it be as insulting as if I had said "The person who recommended the 6890 is foolish." (No.)

A single 580 has a 244W TDP. Imagine 2 of these chips on the same card, not downclocked...

10+ Year Old Account
    Am I missing something or is the word idiot taken as more insulting than it's supposed to be? "2. a foolish or senseless person" I called him foolish. Would it be as insulting as if I had said "The person who recommended the 6890 is foolish." (No.)
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1311240153
    Quite nasty word. I'm sure many people interpret is as such.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1311240153
    Quite nasty word. I'm sure many people interpret is as such.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dicti...0&t=1311240325

10+ Year Old Account
    Darn you're just mean towards everyone, aren't you? I'm going to be on you, guy. Next factual incorrection you post, I'm gonna be there. Starting my post with "Idiot!" as obviosly it should be interpreted as foolish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    This. You are talking pci pcie pcie 2.1, etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Darn you're just mean towards everyone, aren't you? I'm going to be on you, guy. Next factual incorrection you post, I'm gonna be there. Starting my post with "Idiot!" as obviosly it should be interpreted as foolish.
    Knock yourself out. This isn't the place to discuss it however. And I'm a very kind person. I just believe that context is the most important thing in the English language. If I tell a woman she "has a nice ass", (I'm not that crude nor objectifying toward women, mind you.) I'm probably not talking about her mule, nor am I saying she's got a nice "rude person". (Reference: Asshole, Asshat, etc.)

Because they are completely different things?

Deleted
    I was myself thinking of picking up GTX 570 Windforce 2.0 as it is quite cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Because they are completely different things?
    Relatively speaking, they really aren't. A 6990 is two 6970's, a 590 is two 580's. Obviously, it's a LOT more complex than that, as previously stated by hax, but they're essentially the company's top of the line single GPU x2. Since the 580 > 6970, you'd THINK that it'd be better. I know why it isn't. .-.