Thread: Desktop Icons

10+ Year Old Account

Desktop Icons

Wondering if it's possible to make new icons appear at a set location on the screen rather than in the top left corner (for those of us who don't put any icons in the top left corner :P

eg:

want them to start over here instead:
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-07-21 at 06:01 PM.

Deleted
    http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Pro Version has got such option
    but you gotta make fence for new icons.
    New icons go here
    With Fences Pro, you can specify a default Fence for all new icons to go to. By utilizing rules (as detailed below), you can also customize this setting based on the time of day, day of the week, or what program you are currently using.

That's just how Windows does it. Goes down the columns til it finds an empty spot. I think there might be a program out there to modify the behavior, but good luck finding it.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Off topic but that background...me wants it lol. Mind throwing up a full resolution pic somewhere for us? :-D

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillermg View Post
    Off topic but that background...me wants it lol. Mind throwing up a full resolution pic somewhere for us? :-D
    I stole it from that "post your desktop" thread (or whatever one it was :P think it was that one)

---------- Post added 2011-07-21 at 07:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That's just how Windows does it. Goes down the columns til it finds an empty spot. I think there might be a program out there to modify the behavior, but good luck finding it.
    Guarantee you I'm not the first person to "disagree" with the way "Windows works" lol

I don't use my desktop for more than a few icons. Anything added that I didn't want or add myself, gets deleted. So maybe 6-8 icons at most, and I hardly use them either. Most used programs are bound to my G-Keys.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillermg View Post
    http://www.google.com/search?tbs=sbi...h=653&biw=1024

big link but will do the work~!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    I don't use my desktop for more than a few icons. Anything added that I didn't want or add myself, gets deleted. So maybe 6-8 icons at most, and I hardly use them either. Most used programs are bound to my G-Keys.
    It's more that I'm always creating temporary files on the desktop (screenshots etc. that only last maybe 20seconds...) it takes me longer to find the bit between the dock to move the files to somewhere I can use them than it does to use and delete them.

---------- Post added 2011-07-21 at 07:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by zodiacgk View Post
    http://www.stardock.com/products/fences/

Pro Version has got such option
    but you gotta make fence for new icons.
    Yeah unfortunately the free version you have to drag icons into it for it to work no use.

---------- Post added 2011-07-21 at 07:15 PM ----------

Still... good program to remember

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    It's more that I'm always creating temporary files on the desktop (screenshots etc. that only last maybe 20seconds...) it takes me longer to find the bit between the dock to move the files to somewhere I can use them than it does to use and delete them.
    Why don't you make your rainmeter clickthrough?
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiracle View Post
    Why don't you make your rainmeter clickthrough?
    Becuase then I can't click on the feeds...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Becuase then I can't click on the feeds...
    You can make the feeds the only one that responds to clicks......
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

10+ Year Old Account
    just go into rainbrowser, select the feeds, disable click through.