Thread: No Sound

10+ Year Old Account

No Sound

First my current Specs:

Mobo: MSI 870A Fuzion
    GPU: HD 5830 and GTX550TI*
    CPU: Phenom II 970
    Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio Driver

My Mobo has the capability of running two different graphic cards, through the power of the HydraLogix. I had the HD 5830 sitting around, and decided to try it out today. I encountered some errors, and decided I didnt want to fool around with it to much for the time being. I removed the GTX and left the HD in my system. My main monitor was hooked via HDMI.

When I did this, my sound stopped working. The steps I have taken so far,

1: System is not muted.
    2: Unplugged and repluged the audio cable. Realtek noticed it, and it is plugged into the correct front speaker slot.
    2: Checked Bios, onboard audio is enabled.
    3: Uninstalled Both Audio and Graphics driver, installed latest drivers for both. Audio was first (no sound) followed by Graphics. In the device manager, there is no yellow explanation marks. Everything looks good there.
    4: Let Microsofts "Fix It" http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...und-in-windows check to see if there was anything wrong. Nothing was found.
    5: Restored computer to last saved point (last night)
    6: Kicks and giggles, ran Memtest. No errors. I dont know why, but I thought it would be a good thing to do. 10 passes.
    7: Looking for a hammer.

Thats where I am at. I have googled for a bit to some other things that might cause this, but all that I could find is that the onboard was disabled. When I open the volume mixer, I can see the sound is there. The audio does play through my HD 5830, but the speakers on my monitor are horrible.

So, I ask you. Anyone. If you have any clue at what my next step should be, aside from reformatting, thats always a choice, but thats the last step before using the hammer.

Still trying some things out, but any replies will be appreciated.
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven

15+ Year Old Account
    Before you reformat, download and start up a linux bootable disc (for example Ubuntu). If you have no sound there, it's 99% a hardware problem.

Maybe you broke something on the mainboard while handling the graphics cards? Or some contact/cable got loose? If there are any leds indicating activity/power on the sound card/chip I'd look if they are blinking for a quick and dirty check to see if the hardware is working/powered.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AetherMcLoud View Post
    Before you reformat, download and start up a linux bootable disc (for example Ubuntu). If you have no sound there, it's 99% a hardware problem.

Maybe you broke something on the mainboard while handling the graphics cards? Or some contact/cable got loose? If there are any leds indicating activity/power on the sound card/chip I'd look if they are blinking for a quick and dirty check to see if the hardware is working/powered.
    Thank you so much for this idea! Will start working on that right now!

---------- Post added 2011-07-21 at 03:01 PM ----------

Well, went and used livecd for Ubuntu. Sound did not work. So, I went ahead and pulled out the case and started to undo all the connections. When I pulled out the audio cable, i found that the other end was not attached to my speakers. It was a freakin extentions cable I purchased like last year I had plugged into the system. When I checked it earlier, it appeared to lead right to my speakers. I totally forgot I had another audio cable back there.

So, with that, I am going to bed. 5 hours of working on a pebcak problem. Thanks for the tip though
    "My sword? [Heck] yeah I know how to use it. What's to understand about swish-swish-stab? It's a [freak'n] sword dude, it's not a fighter jet." -Tucker "This One Goes to Eleven