Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Merrok View Post
    I swear, one of my favorite quotes..."ARE YOU OKAY?! BUSTAAAA WOOOOLF!"
    Best. Video. Ever.

King of Fighters XIII has me hyped like hell. It almost hurts waiting on that game.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Best. Video. Ever.

King of Fighters XIII has me hyped like hell. It almost hurts waiting on that game.
    ...you are my new best friend for sharing that with me.

...you are my new best friend for sharing that with me.
    Dude, I about collapsed on the floor when I heard "DOUBLE REPPUKEN." I have to watch that video at least once a week.
    Last edited by Kankuri; 2011-07-22 at 08:27 AM.

you guys ever watch the excellent adventures of gootecks and mike ross?

some of the funniest vids ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5Dl...ailpage#t=710s

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    you guys ever watch the excellent adventures of gootecks and mike ross?

some of the funniest vids ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V5Dl...ailpage#t=710s
    Hell yeah. I love that show.

You know who I wish would come back? Dogface.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) How do you feel about the "Street Fighter" model of releasing fighting games (releasing a new version of the same game at a lowered price every couple of months/years)?
    I think that is fair to pay for their work. You have to be really naive to believe that the beta testers will be able to find out all bugs and strategies that might be discovered when the public - meaning millions of players - start playing the game. Also, nobody is forced to buy the new game.

2) What do you feel it takes to justify the purchase of said game?
    Competitive playing requires you to get the most update version. There no reason why amateur players must have the newest version of the game.

3) How much do the stages in fighting games really affect you? Love them? Hate them? Don't care? Useless eye candy?
    The only issue with stages in games like SF and MvC3 are stages that can be soft banned. I think, for instance, that they removed that night stage from MvC3 where it was REALLY hard to see Wesker in his color 1, because the background as almost as the same color. Games where you can interact with scenarios, like Tekken, might have different issues, but I'm not a Tekken player, so I can't say.

I don't really care about stage details, but I have to say that good stages make the game looks a lot better. KoFXIII is an obvious example.

4) In a game where character balance may be off, but doesn't really effect you or the people in your skill bracket does it really matter?
    Balance will always affect all brackets. This question makes no sense, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Balance will always affect all brackets. This question makes no sense, in my opinion.
    Makes total sense. In SSF4:AE, Yun is very powerful but if you don't know all about frame data, frame advantage, etc such as in low brackets, then it really doesn't matter too much about balance.

When you get to high brackets (3,000+ PP), then balance plays a HUGE role and every little frame data information can make or break a character.

People in the lower brackets don't care that Fei's rekka is -4 on hit, they probably don't even know what that means. These types of players just want to play to have fun, win or lose. When you get towards the higher PP bracket, you will have players who will avoid those weak characters and pick the more powerful characters. Here, balance is a huge issue because these types of players not only want to have fun, but they want to win.

It's similar to wow arena, where you have PvE oriented players that do arena just for points (perhaps to get the weapon), or they do it to try something new. These types don't care how weak their comp is, they just want to have fun. Then you have the 'arenajunkies' where winning is everything and they strive to play with the higher tier comps and even those 1-hour matches for 10points are important.

OP: They could have released the stages and characters as DLC and released the balance changes as an update. Keep in mind the characters alone would be in the $3-$5 range, each, with maybe a few package deals thrown in that saves you a couple bucks. Stages they would probably only charge $1-$2. So even at the cheapest price, $3 per character and $1 per stage, you're looking at $36 + $6-$8 depending on the number of stages. Ok so that's about what it will cost you off the shelf, including tax, and you get a remixed soundtrack on top of it. What were you complaining about again?

EDIT: Also the general consensus among "Vs." series players is that MvC3 was utter crap, unfinished, and forced out to make a release date. While I agree the history of Capcom's fighting games does indicate some measure of money grubbing, Street Fighter 4 would never have come about if Street Fighter 3 didn't go on to release 2 updates to the game. (Updates which drastically improved it, btw.)
    Last edited by Priestiality; 2011-07-22 at 06:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Makes total sense. In SSF4:AE, Yun is very powerful but if you don't know all about frame data, frame advantage, etc such as in low brackets, then it really doesn't matter too much about balance.
    Just because you don't know the concepts, it doesn't mean you don't understand what is happening. (by "you" I mean a generic amateurs player.)
    Any player, in any bracket, will find out that Yun is stronger than other characters if he plays the game enough time. (and in the particular case of Yun, you really don't need too much time.) Maybe he doesn't understand why Yun is that good, but that doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Hraklea View Post
    Just because you don't know the concepts, it doesn't mean you don't understand what is happening. (by "you" I mean a generic amateurs player.)
    Any player, in any bracket, will find out that Yun is stronger than other characters if he plays the game enough time. (and in the particular case of Yun, you really don't need too much time.) Maybe he doesn't understand why Yun is that good, but that doesn't matter.
    Ask the casual player in the low 1000PP if he knows who the highest tier characters are and who the low characters are. Then ask him if he even cares about who these high tier characters are or if he just wants to have fun with the game, win or lose.

Then ask these same questions to a person in the 5000PP bracket or the contestants @ EVO2k11 .

OPs question is now warranted.

Quote Originally Posted by tangosmango View Post
    Ask the casual player in the low 1000PP if he knows who the highest tier characters are and who the low characters are. Then ask him if he even cares about who these high tier characters are or if he just wants to have fun with the game, win or lose.

Then ask these same questions to a person in the 5000PP bracket or the contestants @ EVO2k11 .

OPs question is now warranted.
    No idea who the high and low tier characters are.

I like using Ryu :3

No idea who the high and low tier characters are.

I like using Ryu :3
    Seconding this. Smile and nod....and pick Chun Li.

Deleted
    I mostly play DBZ fighting games because of the huge character list and special attacks.

1) How do you feel about the "Street Fighter" model of releasing fighting games (releasing a new version of the same game at a lowered price every couple of months/years)?

Better than the way DBZ games get released (20 extra chars for the price of a full game)

2) What do you feel it takes to justify the purchase of said game?

More characters, customization options, perhaps even a make your own character/ability part.

3) How much do the stages in fighting games really affect you? Love them? Hate them? Don't care? Useless eye candy?

In DBZ fighting games the stage can be part of the fight when it comes to line of sight or even gaining KI, other than that a stage is important for me for the feel of the match.

4) In a game where character balance may be off, but doesn't really effect you or the people in your skill bracket does it really matter?

Nope, if anything it makes a game sometimes more interesting or allow you to push your own limits and for broader customisation (Saibamen and Chaoitzu are weaker than the other characters in RB2, but they have more item ''points'' (not slots) from the start)

This allows the ones that feel they've mastered the game to start ''over'' by giving themselves a penalty compared to other players and master the weaker character, so I TBH think it's a great part of a fighting game. (other than that it's near impossible to perfectly balance different playstyles to eachother)

Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    Seconding this. Smile and nod....and pick Chun Li.
    I never did like using/playing against Chun Li.

Though I just found out that I can "rent" SSFIV AC. Normally I buy games I like, but like I said, since money is tight I'll "rent" it for the time being. I "rented" SFIV, but really wanted SSFIV. I wasn't able to "rent" it, since it wasn't released on the platform I was looking for.

<_<