Fried Motherboard?

I have a HP Pavillion M9000 (The Elite - running Vista) and I think I might have fried the motherboard. I plug in the computer and the green light goes on indicating the Power Supply is functioning, but when i press power button NOTHING HAPPENS, nothing, no sounds, no beeps, nothing on the mointor. Its like pressing the power button on an unplugged computer.

motherboard or CPU most likely

Might I add I was stupid and it was working fine until i set it on my CARPET floors to do something and plugged back in and nothing happens, so i am thinking i static shocked the Mother Board

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
    Might I add I was stupid and it was working fine until i set it on my CARPET floors to do something and plugged back in and nothing happens, so i am thinking i static shocked the Mother Board
    Not if you set the case on the floor. If you touched the motherboard, it's a different story. Check the inside to make sure you didn't knock anything lose.

Hmm I can't remember if I touched it, but all I know is that is was working one second i opened the case put it on the floor, closed it put it on my desk plugged it in and nothing would happen. I hope its the motherboard I bought a new one and I am having it replaced tomorrow. I don't think i could have knocked anything loose, i was just playing around with my interal wifi adpater

Quote Originally Posted by Gucci Mane View Post
    I have a HP Pavillion M9000 (The Elite - running Vista) and I think I might have fried the motherboard. I plug in the computer and the green light goes on indicating the Power Supply is functioning, but when i press power button NOTHING HAPPENS, nothing, no sounds, no beeps, nothing on the mointor. Its like pressing the power button on an unplugged computer.

1. Do you smell burnt wiring? (likely the power supply)
    2. When you turn to power on, does the CPU fan turn on? If yes, then it's likely the motherboard.
    3. Try unplugging the power supply from the board, and look for signs of charring at the connector pins, if yes, likely your power supply fried the motherboard.
    4. If all else fails, get a new power supply... you can always return it later.

I smell nothing, Fan does not turn on...nothing happens at all. I don't think its the power supply issue at all nothing burt or anything and the green light indicates the power supply is 100% also

Check to make sure you didn't knock the power switch connectors loose from the motherboard

I did, everything seems to be firmly intact

10+ Year Old Account
    You could try taking a screwdriver and shorting out the power switch headers to see if its your cases power button.
    Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.2GHz | Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard | 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 | MSI GTX 980 4G GAMING | Corsair HX750 Gold | 500GB Samsung 840 EVO

From the sequence of events that i explained I really don't think it could be that. THe computer has always ran fine with the exception of a virus which i had to restore the computer to factory settings (thanks vista) and what not, other than that not a problem until i messed with the insides on the floor >.<