Page 1 of 21
... LastLast

SWTOR - I don't get the hype.

Maybe someone here can explain this to me,

I love the star wars series, most of the single player games are something that I have loved playing like Knights of the Old Republic and even the pod racing game on the N64. But ever since this game was announced I have been following it and I have tried, really hard, to like what I see but honestly I don't get the hype.

The first thing I saw was a cinematic trailer. I was beyond amazed I couldn't wait to see the gameplay. After a bit of digging I found images and some gameplay videos. I was beyond disappointed. First impression was immediately the graphics of both the player and environment made me a little sad. I thought to myself maybe the gameplay will make up for it. As I watched on I saw nothing appealing, character movements are clunky and stiff, character animations are clunky and stiff, combat looks clunky and stiff. The E3 footage gave me a little hope but still I just feel disappointed about this game.

Can anyone convince me why I should give this game a shot, I want to but I feel like I would just be wasting my money.

Me and 100's of thousands of people disagree with you ....this game isnt for you ...don't let the door hit you .

edit ; btw this game has awesome graphics ...fully developed story lines for all its classes it has a unique way to approach story telling . it's combat and questing system is beyond anything that is out there now ...but whatever if its not for you please keep playing boring ass current MMO's
    Last edited by Elite Peon; 2011-07-22 at 07:49 AM.

1. It's Star Wars.
    2. It's Star Wars.
    3. It's BioWare.
    4. It's BioWare's first MMO.
    5. It's the most expensive MMO to date.

Personally, I'm going with reasons 1-4.
    I mostly play fighting games these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    1. It's Star Wars.
    2. It's Star Wars.
    3. It's BioWare.
    4. It's BioWare's first MMO.

Personally, I'm going with reasons 1-4.
    6. all the screen caps are from beta, which doesn't have high graphic settings enabled while they gather performance metrics
    7. fully VO'd quests
    8. Interactive group dialogue
    9. Customizable companions that can tank heal or dps
    10. Interesting new pvp modes
    11. Tanks useful in pvp

I could keep going all day, but I'll stop here for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Kankuri View Post
    Have sources to back that up? Lmao.

Having played at E3, the game plays great! Knowing for a fact the latest beta build only have 15 planets, and last night the lead developer saying there are 19; you have to understand the pure scale of this game. "Over 900 voice actors and growing". Each planet is the size of the whole of dragon's age 2. About the size of Northrend. Then you have "lots of other smaller planets".

I can assure you, you have nothing to worry about.

It's something different. Besides RIFT, which wasn't much of a change, there hasn't been any good competitors in the MMO market. If you're fine with WoW, don't bother trying it. If you're bored of WoW, it'll be worth the money to at least see if it grips your attention like games used to.
    1% of the Heroes control 100% of the winrates
    #occupyantimage
    #occupynaturesprophet

Quote Originally Posted by razorsharp View Post
    They have already spent close to $100 million.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to be having problems primarily with gameplay/combat. Which was also a concern of mine from the start. However, after reading various forums, including the one that Trollsbane has up (the 600+ page one), it would seem that the videos do not do the actual combat "look and feel" justice. I've decided to simply place my faith in those that have tried the Beta and given positive feedback. I also noticed that the negative feedback never concerns the "feel" of combat; people complain about stiffness in cutscenes, awkward choice system and other stuff, but no one really says "combat is so boring, I look like a rusty robot", which I take to be a good sign.

As for the hype well, you've described part of the reason yourself; the cinematic trailers were crazy cool, it's star wars (!!!) and also, one of the best single player rpgs of the past (KOTOR) was made by the same guys doing this. Add that to the generally positive feedback from beta testers, and you've got tons of hype

What about the end-game? Grind quests on these 19 planets or whats the goal there? Do PVP once you reach max level? Does it mean there are loads of instances to grind?

They've already spent more than WoW spent developing classic and BC, as well as paying their live team for two years.
    They've spent into the 9th digit of costs (100+ million usd), it is the single most expensive PC game ever made.

PC Gamer had an article on the games extensive creation cost. It is a very, very expensive game. You can compare the 4.2 Firelands trailer to the CGI trailer for star wars and it's obvious what company spent more time effort and money.
    1% of the Heroes control 100% of the winrates
    #occupyantimage
    #occupynaturesprophet

And yeh its been stated in afew places that its the most expensive game ever made now id find a link but i dont have the time right now but with a tiny bit of looking ud find it easy

WoW, that's really great source - you - can you give me any financial reports or where the hell are you pulling this information out? Have some shares in BioWare? If you state something please prove it, I am not saying I am not believing it.

I think people are spurred by:
    a) Novelty factor
    b) Star Wars intellectual property
    c) Association to EA and BioWare
    d) EA hype machine
    e) Related to the novelty factor - it's a new MMO, it's not WoW and has been heralded as the new "WoW killer" so jaded WoW and ex-WoW players will flock to it
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

Part of the reason I'm not interested is simply because I'm not a huge fan of Star Wars.

But part of the reason I'm not interested is because you get the worst of rapid star wars fans and rabid MMO fans combined in one. Look at this thread; you calmly and rationally expressed your disappointment and why you weren't excited yet, and asked why the game was such a big deal. The first response you got all but insulted you and your opinion. The original post basically said "you're wrong, good riddance", and while the edit actually did address a few points, it also implied that you're a fool for not liking it better than other MMOs already. The next post just threw a bunch of company names at you, as if you didn't already know who made the game or what it was about.

I've seen similar everywhere I've looked. It's like the worst of the official WoW forums, except that they've already had decades of being rabid over star wars.

All that said, there are a lot of elements to the game that look amazing. Bioware does decent work (was disappointed by DA:2 for many reasons, but still), and they're doing a lot of things you simply won't find in other MMOs, some of which smashzu touched on in his post. As long as they don't make any major mistakes at the end, it's going to be a well designed game that captures the traditional feel of an MMO, and combines it with a great deal of innovation as well as what is probably the best era of Star Wars for role playing (I'm not fond of Star Wars, but the old republic is far more interesting than anything else to me). Building your own starship crew and having them be able to help you with the more monotonous aspects of professions, or accompany you and provide assistance in difficult areas, are excellent ideas that both bring new gameplay options to the genre as well as fit in perfectly with the theme of the game.

All in all, if you're a fan of star wars and enjoyed KOTOR, I think you will probably love SWTOR. Just beware the fanboys :-P

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad I pre-ordered a CE :3

Bioware + Star wars = win.

If you dont believe me, go play kotor

There was that infamous blog post from last year that cited $300 million on production. EA Louse I think was the blogger's SN.
    Elementium on Knaak:
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    He's the Micheal bay of books. He sunk his claws into a popular franchise and is pumping out books with very little plot and a whole lot of descriptions of Rhonins hair and awesomeness and because anyone who wants to know the once rich warcraft lore will buy it the same as a Transformers movie because it's something they love and they keep hoping.
    ~The naaru have not forgotten us... BUT CHRIST METZEN HAS!~

Quote Originally Posted by eucatastrophe View Post
    Related to the novelty factor - it's a new MMO, it's not WoW and has been heralded as the new "WoW killer" so jaded WoW and ex-WoW players will flock to it
    To be fair though, every single "wow-killer" has been a total flop. This is the first game to not completely copy WoW, so I have fairly high hopes.