Thread: Upgrading PC

Upgrading PC

Hello there,
    my PC is around 3-4 years old (- the GPU) and I'd like to upgrade, at least, some parts. (Gaming PC!)

This is what I have right now:

CPU: Q6600 @ 2,4k - not oc'able due to being incompatible with MB. (and temps are around 55º so it's not possible anyway)
    CPU Cooler: -
    MB: Asus P5LD2
    RAM: 4x noname 1GB. DDR2
    Power Supp: UNYKA ATX1200W (sounds like noname, never heard of it, but was 170€ when I bought it)
    GPU: GTX 285 - doesn't need an upgrade, for now.
    HDD: Samsung HD501LJ (500GB @ 7,2K rpm) - should I be upgrading to 1TB? Right now I've got it divided into C: (100gb)/D: (370gb) for Windows/Games, each one has around 50% occupied.
    CASE: I have no idea, it's a Gigabyte one and its ugly.

This is what I thought about:

CASE: Cooler Master HAF 932
    CPU: i7-2600k @ 3,4GHz.
    MB: Asus Sabertooth Rev 3.0
    RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance 4GB
    Cooler: no idea, seriously.

So, do you think it's okay? Would you change something? Please recommend me something.
    Last edited by Zaak; 2011-07-22 at 02:40 PM. Reason: Missing details

Deleted
    I used to have a Q600 but mine blew just recently. PC that is. For gaming best get a 2500K instead as the difference is nothing for gaming vs a 2600K.

So why do they differ in around 70€ (like 95~$)?

Maybe I should mention that I will most likely be doing 3D stuff when I get into university (game dev), so I think an i7 would suit me more
    Last edited by Zaak; 2011-07-22 at 02:48 PM.

Deleted
    They differ because i7's have Hyper-threading, meaning they act as if they had 8 cores (they have 4 physical cores like the i5).

If you aren't doing massive multi-tasking or something that needs more than 4 threads/cores the i5 is the best choice (programming, gaming typically require less than 4 threads only 3d scene rendering or video encoding might benefit from i7's).

Deleted
    If your doing 3D then possibly better to go for the extra for the 8 threads.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would definitely go with the i7 if you're going into game development and doing rendering.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

What about the other parts?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaak View Post
    What about the other parts?
    Really the rest you could just go with what you have, I would recommend probably the Noctua cooler. If you check the stickies go to Fuzzy's Sweet Spot builds would have a list of certain setups at price points.
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

You're saying I should go with the things I've chosen or the things I already have? I've seen the Sweet Spot Thread before, but I'd rather have more opinions and I don't want to change every part, so I also need to know if there are some compatibility issues

Deleted
    To try and make sure you'll have the least amount of trouble when installing a CPU cooler (when you eventually decide upon one) you should opt for the low profile RAM sticks.

If you want to stick with the Corsair brand then you can take a look at these modules.

Also for economical sake go for 2x4GB modules rather than 4x2GB modules. This leaves two slots free for future expandability.

Cooler wise this entirely depends on how much you are willing to spend.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're saying I should go with the things I've chosen or the things I already have? I've seen the Sweet Spot Thread before, but I'd rather have more opinions and I don't want to change every part, so I also need to know if there are some compatibility issues
    Sorry, with what you've chosen. I should've clarified.

Well, I think I'll be taking the Noctua NH-D14...which seems to be gigantic and I think it was mentioned several times in chauds setups of the month.
    The reviews are pretty good

The Noctua is a beast, it will keep your computer cool... but it may scare away pets/children =P

Someone verify that it will fit in his case.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Deleted
    Well, I think I'll be taking the Noctua NH-D14...which seems to be gigantic and I think it was mentioned several times in chauds setups of the month.
    The reviews are pretty good
    Unless you're going to Overclock you don't really need an aftermarket cooler, stock one will do just fine. If on the other hand you want to push it over 4Ghz then you'll need one.

Buy something like a hyper 212+ till 4,5. After that get a high end one (Thermalright silver arrow /NH-d14). If you want to get the max out off the cpu you need to dissable Hyperthreading but yeah that destroys the part off having a i7 . About the sabertooth there are alot off reviews on the internet from ppl who can run sli on it because it wont support it somehow so you might want to look at somethinge else if you going to sli soon.
    The black blood of Yogg'saron causes through me! I AM UNSTOPPALBLE!

Deleted
    I'll loan your thread since I'm considering to upgrade my 1,5 year old system.

My current build is the following:
    Asus P7P55D Evo
    Intel i5 750
    Ati HD4890
    4GB memory

What I plan to do is get a better GPU. Which one, I'm still uncertain of. I don't have a strict budget for it, since I'm considering to get "the best" I can, as long as the i5 won't be a bottleneck for it. The case I have is Antec P183 so I guess it can fit quite big card also.

Other things I'm planning to do is overclock the processor, probably get a cooler for it also, and purchase another Samsung F3 for storage and a SSD for the system, probably size of 120GB or something (maybe even another 4GB of memory). But the biggest upgrade considering playing is the video card; what would you suggest me to get given this info? Also any hints of which processor cooler and SSD drive would be good are gladly received.

10+ Year Old Account
    Should probably start your own thread Rhubarbon
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by Levelfortytwo View Post
    Unless you're going to Overclock you don't really need an aftermarket cooler, stock one will do just fine. If on the other hand you want to push it over 4Ghz then you'll need one.
    I will definetly oc the CPU and who knows what else in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Aminozuur
    About the sabertooth there are alot off reviews on the internet from ppl who can run sli on it because it wont support it somehow so you might want to look at somethinge else if you going to sli soon.
    I don't know if I'll be doing SLI anytime soon, but I'll keep that in mind