Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Going ret PvP, need some help

Hey guys,

I'm going ret PvP for the first time. Now I ask for some help for gemming/glyphs/enchants/professions I should go for...
    I got my own vision of'm but I'd like to hear some things about players that are used to play ret PvP.

Thanks a lot

Deleted
    Bold inferno ruby (In almost all sockets imo), glyph of crusader strike (the 5%crit), whatever glyphs you feel like.. Same enchants as Pve and as for proffesions you get 80+ str pot useable in arena, jewelcrafting grants you 3x 27 strength from a couple of gems, enchanting goes str on rings ofc (thinking that's 2x40) and finally engineering for a cool gloverocket burst-damage (deals quite some damage imo), and ofcourse awesome rocketboots for pvp.. :]

Cheers.

i have ben playing ret pvp for over 4 years so i think i can give you some advice

gems

red = 40 str
    blue = 20 str 30 stam
    yellow = 40 resil

reforge can go 2 ways ( mastery or crit ) i perfer mastery

glyphs i use are

prime

templars verdict
    seal of trueth ( yes it is a fantastic glyph )
    world of glory

major

divine protection
    hammer of justice
    hammer of wrath

the reason i use seal of trueth is that with the expertise neck and main set item ( shoulders i think ) with the mace racial for dwarfs i can hit 5% making me un-dodgable in pvp and lowering the chance to parry from 11% to 5%. when i picked up the glyph i noticed a HUGE difference in how much damage i delt.

now in terms of profetions i would say engineering / anything you want. personal opinion though. if you have any other questions feel free to ask, ill give what info i can.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion Professions are currently balanced for Arenas (since engineering stuff aren't used in there) for bgs and fun you could take Engineering .
    You input +40 Strength gems to all the items except if you want a more "defencive approach" in which you go with 20str/20stam for blue sockets and 20str/20res for yellow . It's all up to your decision.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Deleted
    The best thing I can do for you is recommend a psychiatrist.

the dude who commented on the gems is wrong, go all out 40str, unless bonus is 20stats or higher

drfeelgood, please dont give falls information. going full 40 str gems is a waist of stats, it might be good in pve, but as i said above...

red = 40str
    blue = 20str 30 stam
    yellow = 40 resil

going full str is gimping surviability, and in pvp atm thats just a bad idea.

Deleted
    And another "pvp newbie needs help" thread... jesus. Go out there and start doing random battlegrounds. You only learn by doing.

10+ Year Old Account
    You want to willingly pvp as ret? You do need help, of the mental kind.

I kid.

Anyways, as most people have already said,

Red = 40 strength
    Yellow = 40 resilience
    Blue = 20 strength/30 stamina

Pvp is a lot about surviving more then anything, so try and balance stats with that in mind.

Engineering is a fun profession, in any situation.

As for Glyphs, Truth/WoG are probably the most handy ones, the rest you can probably take what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Gahmuret View Post
    And another "pvp newbie needs help" thread... jesus. Go out there and start doing random battlegrounds. You only learn by doing.
    God damn, another text book about how to perform surgery? Stop reading and just go do it, you'll learn faster.

Asking for advice and opinions is never, ever a bad thing.
    Last edited by Jazzhands; 2011-07-23 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by meliancill View Post
    drfeelgood, please dont give falls information. going full 40 str gems is a waist of stats, it might be good in pve, but as i said above...

red = 40str
    blue = 20str 30 stam
    yellow = 40 resil

going full str is gimping surviability, and in pvp atm thats just a bad idea.
    lol please, 30 stam? 40 resil? c'mon... gem that if you want to stay in the 1500 bracket

loldrfeelgood, you are at 1100 rating with a mage in 2v2. you have no place to talk and imo no place to give advice about pvp then sit down and act like you are some bad ass pvper telling other people they have no idea whats they are talking about, when in reality you are the one lacking information.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
    the dude who commented on the gems is wrong, go all out 40str, unless bonus is 20stats or higher
    WTF this isn't PVE.

Everyone who's saying go 40 resilience for yellow sockets is wrong. Strength is not only an offensive stat for ret paladins, but a defensive stat, as well. It contributes to all attacks, Word of Glory and Sacred Shield absorption amount. Go +20 str/+20 resilience for yellows.

For blue sockets, there's nothing wrong with going Sovereign to get a strength bonus.

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Giga Drill Breaker View Post
    there is no point to gem resi due to extreme diminishes in efficiency past 3600 resi, and you get that much just from equipping full a10, and even more with pvp weapon.
    No. There is NO diminishing returns on resilience, period. At all. It's now a linear increase in effective health, as opposed to an exponential increase, as it was before.

going all-out str would be the best choice xept if you need some hit, then use some blue gems.
    No.
    Last edited by Reith; 2011-07-23 at 07:16 PM.

care to explain your NO'es?

there is no DR on resi, true, but it drops in effectiveness significantly past 3600~ resi, and come on, hitting(healing) hard is only option as ret. Do you plan on surviving via tiny bit of resi, when you could've healed more?

Yes.
    No, resilience doesn't drop in effectiveness, at all. You have no idea how resilience works. None, at all. If you don't care about survivability at all, then sure, go ahead and get a pitiful 10 strength instead of 30 stamina. If people are smart, they'll focus you and stun you, making that 10 strength worthless. You're betting on them being stupid. I don't take those chances, so I go for the overall best compromise. I don't care what you do, just don't tell other people absolutely WRONG information.

20 str + 20 hit gems are better than 20 str + 20 stam if your lacking hit in pvp, which you might be when starting out. 20 str + 20 mastery is also superior if you want to be more effective with your damage.

as I check your gear I fail to find a single 40 res gem, strange huh?
    Are you an idiot? I was advocating 20 strength/20 resilience because it's better. You don't lose anything by doing so on the chest, at least.

Crap about choice or whatever
    I said I don't care what you do.

I dont care what you do, just dont tell people that YOUR choice is the only one!
    You're a moron. I was referring to how resilience works when I said wrong information. You have no idea how it works.

You have been served.

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 01:04 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0calypse View Post
    20 str + 20 hit gems are better than 20 str + 20 stam if your lacking hit in pvp, which you might be when starting out. 20 str + 20 mastery is also superior if you want to be more effective with your damage.
    Crit is just better than mastery in PVP because 1. you're usually not going to have full buffs and 2. Mastery does nothing for your Word of Glorys.

people fighting over who is right in the end OP learns nothing. Personally I just asked google and started queueing BGs to get a feel for it. Also people remember pvp hit is 5% only which is very easy to get without gems or enchants STOP SUGGESTING HIT GEMS.

Bit too much flaming going on in here, cool it or I'll start infracting.

10+ Year Old Account
    The glyphs seem correct from what an above poster said.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFeelGood View Post
    lol please, 30 stam? 40 resil? c'mon... gem that if you want to stay in the 1500 bracket
    He is correct, and you're in the 1500 bracket.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water