Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    i got charged full price but i payed in debit so i don't really care (and i was going to pay full anyways), inless they charge me again in which case ill bitch...

15+ Year Old Account
    I've heard some pretty bad stories about people pre-ordering.

I'll just wait till it comes out. If it's sold out, then so be it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    just get it from Origin or another source, by the looks of it you only get charged huge price if you preorder directly from EA

Quote Originally Posted by Weedow View Post
    It is illegal to charge more than stated.
    I went and looked at the online purchase. It says the price of the game. Then it says the price of the preorder. Then it says the total, which was the preorder cost and the game cost. The final check out looks like:

Subtotal
    $59.99

Shipping
    $0.00

Estimated Tax
    $0.00

Your Total
    $59.99

and below that it says "place my order"

So instead of paying that total being shown there, I went to Gamestop and paid the 25 dollar preorder reserve. How is what they did illegal when they stated how much they were charging you when you click "place my order"?

What i understood from ordering it from Origins was that a) I would be paying the full amount and b) to be allowed to preorder it, I would be paying 5 more dollars than the normal price. Essentially the 5 dollars was the FEE to preorder the game, not a down payment to reserve the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Thanks for the tip but EA says my country is just an uninhabited wasteland and they have no reason to sell it here.
    You live in canada?
    For real tho, that sucks that you can't get what you want because a company is being stupid.
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

A lot of places do a little thing called an "authorization" charge. It is there to make sure you have the money available to purchase the item. After 2-3 days it falls off and all you are left with is the actually amount you spent. In this case, they are charging you the 5 or 20 + the game amount (to verify if you have the funds available). Once its verified, you'll be left with only the 5 or 20 charge. Depending on your bank/cc company, it can take up to 72 hours to clear.

You also commonly see this type of thing when you purchase gas directly from the pump instead of from the clerk inside. A lot of CC/Banks will place a authorization hold of 75 which will fall off after a couple days.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    /goes to the site to preorder RIGHT NOW

never had any problems with any preorders, one voice isn't gonna change my mind
    22 miles of hard road
    33 years of tough luck
    44 skulls buried in the ground
    Crawling down through the muck
    Ah yeah...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PandaFart View Post
    everyone i have talked to, including me have had the full price charged to their card when the website clearly states that the pre order is only 5 dollars
    my bank statement says i have been charged 59.99
    i also get an email from EA saying i have only been charged 5 dollars but also get this quote
    " Your card will be charged for the price of the edition you ordered when the product is released. "

they are holding your money hostage until they can prove you have it
    Sounds like the money has just been put aside but not exchanged.
    You should probably read the fine print, might be in there.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 11:06 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by moogogaipan View Post
    You live in canada?
    For real tho, that sucks that you can't get what you want because a company is being stupid.
    People are the only ones being stupid here. EA has a limited service because it's not set up for all countries across the world for digital download or pre-order.
    Ignorant, stupid people cry about it because they don't understand it.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 11:08 PM ----------

By the way, you people have to pay to place a pre-order on games? That SUCKS.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Sounds like the money has just been put aside but not exchanged.
    You should probably read the fine print, might be in there.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 11:06 PM ----------

People are the only ones being stupid here. EA has a limited service because it's not set up for all countries across the world for digital download or pre-order.
    Ignorant, stupid people cry about it because they don't understand it.
    Really ? I downloaded Rift's digital copy just fine. Unless you mean Trion has way a better distribution network than EA. LMFAO.

Pre-ordered the collectors edition and nothing's came off my balance at all.

From the FAQ: http://www.swtor.com/preorder/faq

Will I be charged for my pre-order?

Pre-order charges will vary by retailer. In most cases, upon purchase of your pre-order you will be charged an advance payment. Pre-order charges vary by country, so check with your preferred video game retailer for exact details.

People should learn to look into their purchases a bit more rather than blindly pay for stuff on the internet, then freak out and bitch when it isn't what they expected.

You know when you pre-order you get an email that says

"Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Deluxe Edition Pre-Order
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: $5.00"

Then below that says

"Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Deluxe Edition (Pre-Ordered)
    Estimated Release Date: Targeting Holiday 2011
    Qty Ordered: 1
    Amount: $74.99"

What you see on your bank statement isn't a charge as much as just a place holder, you'll see in 2 days the charge go back to the 5 or 10 or whatever was advertised.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mailbox for the days of 21 of july 2011

Question ... 2 I believe

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Quote Originally Posted by Verth Aeyta View Post
    I pre-ordered and they didn't charge me the full price, it's a check and balance thing to make sure you have the monies in your account, once they approve your order (within 2-5 days) you'll be charged the 5$, then when the game is released they will charge your card the remaining amount of money.

Maybe learn to read what you're agreeing to first, reading comprehension is a great tool to have in life.
    This. It isn't uncommon to have a company pre-authorize an amount to make sure the card if valid. I found out recently that my Shell card can have a station pre-authorize up to 100.00 to make sure it is good, even though my vehicle has never taken more then 40.00 to fill up. The extra authorization falls off in a couple of days and I bet it will do so in this case also.

---------- Post added 2011-07-22 at 07:15 PM ----------

Chances are, it is just showing as pending which doesn't actually mean a charge has been made, just a pre-authorization.

10+ Year Old Account
    Next time read before you give someone you finacial information. I thought it was pretty clear that they were going to charge you as soon as they gave you a code.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone whos name is on the credits, (sorry non disclosure agreement guys) i will honestly say that this game will be just like Rift or any other "WoW killer". Take from that what you will

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pasta Assassin View Post
    As someone whos name is on the credits, (sorry non disclosure agreement guys) i will honestly say that this game will be just like Rift or any other "WoW killer". Take from that what you will
    Well since Rift is still doing awesome with no sign of dying, we can assume the same for SWTOR?

They didn't charge you $59.99, they did a pre-authorization for that amount to make sure your card is valid, it should fall off in 3-30 days, depending on your Bank's policy on pre-authorizations.

This is standard practice for all credit card transactions online.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNot1337 View Post
    Canada?

(I couldn't resist. )
    Actually I believe so, I have to order from Gamestop (I'm in Canada.)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    Actually I believe so, I have to order from Gamestop (I'm in Canada.)
    you can order from amazon.ca but they only have the standard game.

Edit: NVM it seem its only amazon.com..

Well i got my copy pre-ordered from gamestop.ca, i got the code in less than 24h
    Last edited by DaGhostDS; 2011-07-23 at 12:51 AM.