View Poll Results: Do you turn off your computer during thunderstorms?

Voters
151. This poll is closed
  • Yes, i turn off the computer

36 23.84%
  • No, i do not turn off the computer

115 76.16%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=51490 ¿?¿?

Never, I would loose DiPiEs!

Seriously, I usually don't. If I did it I would have my PC off most of the time because of their frequency.
    I always try to have an equipment capable of not having trouble with any of these things

its not just the risk of a power surge to blow up your electronics, (which yeah ideally everyone has a great $100 surge protector to save them from it, I know yeah right!) you don't want risk having your computer cut power all the sudden, there is a pretty good reason, your computer takes time to shut down it minimize damage to all the little moving parts and the OS itself. I think Win 7 is a little better with that, but I've seen it many times Win XP machines get crashes and freezes, and BSOD because they aren't shut down properly.

and on top of that if you play wow or any other Online Co op game, your messing things up for other people if you drop all the sudden.

So yeah I just turn everything off if it gets nasty outside.

After losing two TVs to lightning, my PC gets turned off and unplugged

Deleted
    I turn off and unplug everything in the house when theres a thunderstorm lost a tv and a router (but nothing else wtf) so i rather play it safe even with surge protectors.

Quote Originally Posted by Suikoden View Post
    Eh I don't bother with it. It becomes too tedious after awhile.
    When a vital circuit on your mobo fries let me know how tedious that is compared to turning off your PC for 20 mins while the storm dissipates.

I was at my brothers for the weekend. He lives in suburb outside Philly, houses all over the place and telephone poles on all sides.

Lightning hit HARD right next to or even on the house, we don't know how close it was.

Everything was working except my nephews TV. It was the only thing fried in the house. So just because you live in a suburb doesn't mean your safe lol...
    Last edited by Gredge; 2011-07-23 at 02:14 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xenaros View Post
    I see no reason to, the risk of damage is extremely low if you live in a urban area, or have a lightning rod installed.

Even if it were to get into your home, having your PC turned off would not protect it at all, everything has the potential to be blown up if it is plugged into a socket.
    That is why in my house we unplug all devices that cost a lot. If lightning strikes you can rewire you're entire house without the burn damage. Having to buy a new tv, pc and that kind off crap would be wasted. You can discuss about the chance any damage will follow during a lighting strike even if you have a lighting rod and crap...the power off a lighting strike can powerfull enough to blow the wires out off you're walls (small chance ofcourse). But it's a fact that the chance is there, so I'd rather avoid it.

I think we can survive a few hours without some devices.

I do, even with a surge protector. Why risk it? Sure I am covered with insurance but it's a whole delay that I could do without when I can just turn it off for a couple hours and do something else.

Edit: It's also not the fact your house will get hit because that's an almost non existent chance, but a surge sent from wherever it did it hit going through everyone in your neighbourhoods power and potentially frying something.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2011-07-23 at 02:26 AM.

i will wear my nature resistance gear

Lightbulb New software ansswers this question and offers smart protection to computers

Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    So, there's something i've been wondering for a while now and i decided to make a forum post about it.

When there's a thunderstorm outside, do you close your computer?
    I don't since my house has a.. Don't really know the word for it but i think it's called a "lightning rod".
    It's job is to attract the thunderbolts from the thunderstorm in order to stop thunderbolts hitting anywhere else but the rod.

So, do you close your computer or not?
    Hello,

Because the tech world consensus is to turn off and unplug computers in storms, I invented Off Fast.

The software side of Off Fast polls for local weather alerts and when once occurs, it shuts down your computer. Before shutdown, it wireless signals the hardware to virtually unplug the computer.

Off Fast is patent-pending. The software is a stand-alone product for now and available for sale in a week or two. I have a functional prototype of the hardware.

B2BZone

User was infracted
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2017-04-29 at 02:01 AM.

Deleted
    Depends on the intensity and location of the storm. Far away -- nah. If it's moving right over my house -- then usually yes.

Quote Originally Posted by mazy View Post
    i will wear my nature resistance gear
    Now, 6 years later, even that option is gone. Quo vadis, world?

7+ Year Old Account
    i live in scotland. lightning and thunder are super rare here (ive lived here 12 years and only heard thunder twice, had serious amounts of lightning once, with minor amounts a few more times).
    so i guess no, i never really get the reason to turn them off :P

yes since i live in the moutain and the last lightning killed my pc , well insurance got me a new one... but still i turn them all of now

even if i got that anti lihgtning plug + lightning rod

10+ Year Old Account
    Everything I care about is plugged into a surge protector, and my computers have UPS's. Unplugging them for me is a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by B2BZone View Post
    Hello,

Because the tech world consensus is to turn off and unplug computers in storms, I invented Off Fast.

The software side of Off Fast polls for local weather alerts and when once occurs, it shuts down your computer. Before shutdown, it wireless signals the hardware to virtually unplug the computer.

Off Fast is patent-pending. The software is a stand-alone product for now and available for sale in a week or two. I have a functional prototype of the hardware.

B2BZone
    A Necropost to advertise software. Double Whammy!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    A Necropost to advertise software. Double Whammy!
    And what a load of crap it is too! Hahaha ever hear of a surge protector? Back up battery supply? Lol good lord

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Uselessrouge View Post
    yes since i live in the moutain and the last lightning killed my pc , well insurance got me a new one... but still i turn them all of now

even if i got that anti lihgtning plug + lightning rod
    Try a UPS.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

6 year old necro lol.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, we'll just go ahead and lock this.