Poll: Favourite Final Fantasy

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    I feel bad taking 10 over Tactics, but I really did like Final Fantasy 10. It's one of those games that shows you how important immersive gameplay is and can outshine some of the most annoying characters you can encounter in some stories.

Too hard to answer. They all hold a special place in my heart. I liked 6's story and characters. 5's airships and funninity. 7's innovation and materia system...8's fun KEEP PRESSING SQUARE TO POWER UP GF and gunblades (c'mon, so sick!). 9's characters, story, and kiddie aspect got me. 10's story and blitzball, c'mon now..what a fun game!

15+ Year Old Account
    VII, followed closely by X. Yes, I liked 10. I thought the turn-based fighting and the monster arena were really cool, not to mention the story, which I actually enjoyed. And Blitzball. But 7 is by far my favourite, as it is the first final fantasy that I fully played through and got to know the best. I loved materia and the entire story, and all the mini-games, chocobo breeding and racing, and just everything about that game. Aeris' death was so emotionally impacting it almost brought me to tears the first time I played through in 1997.

I'm currently playing through FFIII on my DS. It takes forever to build your jobs up, but I have beaten the Iron Giant, unlocked the onion knight and master smith, beaten the final boss, hit level 99 with 9999/9999 health on all my characters and managed to get around 10/18 jobs to 99, with three more pretty close (85+).

VI was a great game. I liked the story and the fighting system was neat; especially those wrestling moves. Everyone is different though, and is impacted differently by different titles in the series, depending on past experiences, when they first played them and just overall gameplay and style. But for me, VII and X are definitely at the top of the list - as proven by just how much time I've put into those games in the past, with unlockables and aiming towards maxing out my characters.
    For the Alliance!

FFX was the best IMO, delivered everything you would expect from a FF game with an amazing story line to back it up

7/7 Firelands 6/7HM Firelands
    13/13 T11
    ​Glory of The Cataclysm Raider

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    I feel bad taking 10 over Tactics, but I really did like Final Fantasy 10. It's one of those games that shows you how important immersive gameplay is and can outshine some of the most annoying characters you can encounter in some stories.
    See? Even Tidus helped teach us a valuable life lesson!
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

Lots of FF-newbies around! :P I can imagine it is a little different if 7 was the first one you're old enough to play. The earlier ones seem pretty low tech if you experience them now. The experience you get when they're new is totally different.

One thing I have to say is that I like certain things about certain games a lot and then not other parts. For instance, FF8 had a terrible system. Equipment was basically nonexistent except for gimmicky crap to use as items. The story was kind of meh, though it had some ok parts, but of the newer games, it had some really great and memorable characters. I wish they'd make more Quistis like characters. She was teh sex. ^.^ Smart, confident, hot. oh, where was I?

I think 6 is my overall favorite, though I don't like the esper system all that much. Its weird that any character can end up knowing a ton of magic. Each character has a unique ability, but I think this hurt the overall character development. Oh look, my swordsman master can cast metor! cure 3! herp derp. I think 4 was much better in that fashion- the characters were much more unique.

4 is a very close second, maybe even actually first. I really wish they'd make 4 with modern graphics. I played through it again recently. I forgot how good of a story, characters, and everything it has. Truly an epic game.

Tactics was good. The story was the best part. The tactical battles got a little old to me. Kind of grindy after doing the same thing so many times and taking so long. Tactics advance was meh. I didn't feel like it was a serious game. More like Mystic Quest.

IX I thought was kind of neat. Had Vivi, who was a wonderful character. I personally like when FF games stick with a more classical fantasy setting too.

X I never really got in to. Probably one of the only i didn't really play. My friend bought it, not me. I played some, watched a lot, but missed some too and it just wasn't really the same. I didn't like the characters in that one nearly as much either. Except Auron, he was kind of a badass. Yuna was annoying. Very generic character that I just couldn't get in to. Too unsure for no reason and just annoying. I also really really hate how they make the age of the characters. Auron is this grizzled war veteran dude-- at 35. Uh ok. Rikku was 15. I feel dirty. Lulu the giant breasted matronly character is all of 22. :P
    Last edited by Rukh; 2011-07-26 at 05:52 AM.