How to stop cats from sleeping / attacking / going on certain furniture?

Hey guys, last night my aunty and uncle dropped off thier 2 piece vintage couch set (they have had it for over 20 years) over at our house.
    Thing is we have a cat, and he has taken a certain liking to these new couches...

Its 2pm now and im home alone and he has already made a home (assuming this is from clawing) in one of the couches, and pulled out a total of like 4 of the buttoms on the couch and whenever i look down to check on the couches the cat is sleeping on them (i have to keep shooing him off it)

So i need help, before he causes more damage to the couches already, it has made my mum really upset and i cant stand to see her upset
    If we dont find a solution to this mum dad will probably just drag him to the couch and smack him saying ''NO!'' blah blah .. (my dads pretty much a traditional wog and believes in physical punishment for disaplin) WHICH IM STRONGLY AGAINST!

TL;DR

So long story short how do you get cats from going on certain pieces of furniture? i cant afford him to do any more damage to the couch, because if he does my mum will be very upset and my dad may start to physically punish my cat for this.

Help?

Citrus, around or on the couch. enough that the cat can smell it

water with spray bottle spray cat when it is near

lock cat in another room

10+ Year Old Account
    Aluminium foil on the couch.

Water gun. Whenever they get close, shoot. 2 days max.

I fully advocate the spray bottle with water in it. Citrus doesn't work for my cat (she LIKES it. But cats are different, I'd try it once.), and I also use a can with coins in it to scare her away from stuff she doesn't like. Cats associate with bad experiences, and he'll eventually associate being sprayed with water, or the loud noise from the can with the couch. And he'll stay away from it, for the most part.

cats are creatures of habit, break the habit and they rarely go back to it.

find out what your cat hates (spray bottles are pretty common) and make them associate that thing with what you don't want them to do anymore.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

Hmm okay thanks i'll try that out next time he goes on the couch..

NOTE: also my cat is a strictly indoor cat, living outside is no option because him and my dog fight whenever near eachother.

Meh I just clap really, really loud and shout NO! My cat used to hop on the kitchen counters and try to get into the bread, haven't seen her try it in 3 years.

hahaha aww, my cat loves eating bread for some reason, no idea why

Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    hahaha aww, my cat loves eating bread for some reason, no idea why
    Try putting plastic over the couch like little rubber/plastic mats over the coushins or wherever they are scratching as they will get unconformable and get off and stay off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone in this thread is missing the obvious solution of removing their front legs. /solved.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlySteve View Post
    Everyone in this thread is missing the obvious solution of removing their front legs. /solved.
    Not exactly the good one.

From what I heard, plastic or water spray. There are some of those rubber things? I don't know what they're supposed to do, but I think the idea is to make the cat uncomfortable, or you can just get plastic, >.>