Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Red face biggest 'trading' loss?

which is your largest amount of gold that you have lost in a 'trade'?

i think i have to face mine now. both in percent and in gold.

a few weeks ago i bought two obsidium cleavers out of my ah for ~70k gold each. (yeah you dont have to tell me that it was high and i was stupid - thats why i start this thread) the reason for buying these was that i though i could make a quick profit of 30-40% on each. people had been shouting in trade channel for days that they wanted to buy the cleaver. i hadnt seen any one for days so that's why i though i could squeeze the price some.

suddenly no one wants this. and it keeps coming new to the ah. they are priced around 50k each.

so my total loss will be around 40k which is around 7-8% of my stack. dont think i've done this big misstake before.

remember the pristine black pearls back in tbc(?) blizz changed something so they dropped quick as f*ck one day. i did not know this and bought loads of them when they came out cheap in trade channel and on ah. but i dont think i lost this much gold. but my stack was like 20k then so the percentage was maybe higher.

back to my cleavers. think i'll just equip them on my frost dk and enjoy them. never bought anything more expensive than a few thousand gold before this =)

so give me your worst placings

I bought a bazillion Razzashi hatchlings when it was rumoured that they'd be removed from the game, and spent something like 70k on it. Then Blizz said you could still get them post-Cata, prices plummeted, and I sold all my inventory to get back what I could at a huge loss. Of course, now it's a rare drop and they're going for 5k >.> Sure beats the 750g I sold all of mine at... =(

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flippedeclipse View Post
    I bought a bazillion Razzashi hatchlings when it was rumoured that they'd be removed from the game, and spent something like 70k on it. Then they said you could still get them post-Cata, prices plummeted, and I sold all my inventory to get back what I could at a huge loss. Of course, now it's a rare drop and they're going for 5k >.> Sure beats the 750g I sold all of mine at... =(
    Thumb rules, never sell them when the price is low. Market is a cycle, it will go very low for awhile then come back up....

10+ Year Old Account
    I once sold an orb of deception for like, 150g. On my realm they sell for upwards of 10k. :<
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    I once sold an orb of deception for like, 150g. On my realm they sell for upwards of 10k. :<
    Same here. lol

Deleted
    Actually its a loss about ~ 30 %

I never had such a big loss , I never carry more than 20k

I bought an Apparatus of Khaz'goroth like, second day of 4.2 for 20k. In the raid the next day it dropped off the second trash pack and a paladin snapped it up for his off-set. Shoulda just waited >.> though I suppose its not a total loss, at least my buying it let someone else enjoy it. We've since had like 4 drop that we've sold, so basically I just think of it as donating 20k to the gbank :P

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    I bought an Apparatus of Khaz'goroth like, second day of 4.2 for 20k. In the raid the next day it dropped off the second trash pack and a paladin snapped it up for his off-set. Shoulda just waited >.> though I suppose its not a total loss, at least my buying it let someone else enjoy it. We've since had like 4 drop that we've sold, so basically I just think of it as donating 20k to the gbank :P
    You BOUGHT MS gear from your gb?!
    Yes you are still the worst moderator on these forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistuhbull View Post
    So unless you have a source besides your rectum, we'd appreciate if you didn't spread misinformation

Deleted
    Sold a nobles deck pre-ulduar for 5.5k. I think the guy was nice, and if he wasn't denial will make me feel better.

Back in vanila I sold one of those weapon enchants that had an extremely low drop in Scholomance. Sold it for 200 gold and thought I got an awesome deal up until the moment my friends told me I could have got couple of thousand for it.

Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne View Post
    he bought one off the ah, and then when he started doing firelands with his guild it dropped for them... so he spent 20k gold on the ah for something he would have gotten the very first raid =3

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonshardz View Post
    Back in vanila I sold one of those weapon enchants that had an extremely low drop in Scholomance. Sold it for 200 gold and thought I got an awesome deal up until the moment my friends told me I could have got couple of thousand for it.
    Couple thousand in vanilla? ... You clearly didn't play then.

OT: I've greedy as fuck. The only major gold dump I've ever done was buying decks for DMF. Probably shouldn't have. Spent like 80k. Oh well. I haz shineh title.
    Alliance 85:Fire/Arcane
    Horde 85: Holy/Retribution Restoration/Elemental Survival/Marksman Restoration/Balance Assassination/Subtlety Shadow/Shadow Unholy/Frost Affliction/Demonology Protection/Arms

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    it is not really equal, but i understand the feeling =) have been trading those orbs for a long time now. they have been giving me some nice gold

Quote Originally Posted by Muushu View Post
    Actually its a loss about ~ 30 %

I never had such a big loss , I never carry more than 20k
    who had this loss?

Quote Originally Posted by FireBorne View Post
    L2read before posting

I bought Enchant Bracers - Mighty Strength a couple of weeks ago for 25 gold. The player who posted it had the bid at 25g and the buyout at 2500g. Once I actually received it I posted how awesome the deal was in guild chat for fun. Turns out it was a guildy's alt and he had messed up (obviously) with the bid price; I ended up paying him what it was actually worth. Not a loss for him but it he was definitely lucky it was me and not another player.

10+ Year Old Account
    I got that rare parrot for 500g back in Wrath. I still feel sorry for the newbie who sold it to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    For some reason I have an extremely difficult time accumulating gold in WoW. I guess I just don't play the markets enough to rake in a lot of gold and hold onto it, so my losses haven't be astronomical.

However, I suppose my biggest 'loss' would have been on a Fury of Angerforge back in February(?), I bought one from the AH for 20K and at the time was getting ready to jump to a more accomplished server with my old guild. Should have done my research and realized this new server had a ton of them on the AH for, at most, 10K. Another MDPS in the guild was laughing his head off when we got there and he snapped it up at 50% what I paid for mine -_-

Quote Originally Posted by Babaganouch View Post
    I got that rare parrot for 500g back in Wrath. I still feel sorry for the newbie who sold it to me.
    this is not a loss for you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Belt buckles went for 350-400g on my server and sold, but u got the odd dimwit who posted for 125g so I did the next best thing and bought just over 20k worth, posted for 320-350 I posted basically them all because i've sold 20 in about 5minutes before, and I was logging off for the night I log back on the next morning, not 1 sold and I was undercut by the same guy back to 125g I bought them for 125-220g and then sold.

them all to my guild master for 180because he crashed the market, and they are now 60-150g thanks to him, AND HIS STILL POSTING ' this was the release of cata btw thats why the prices were so high

Deleted
    Don't think I've really made a massive loss on things, generally because I prefer the slow n steady approach to making gold.
    I spent 55k buying all the new Enchant Bracer 50 agi/str/int when they first came out, knowing I was making a huge "loss" due to my impatience. I still kinda cringe when I see them sold for 1-2k each now.