Page 1 of 8
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Razer BlackWidow

Does anyone who actually have a Razer BlackWidow / BlackWidow Ultimate actually recommend it?

been looking at this alot vs the Saitek Cyborg V7 (which to be honest I don't really like much)

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 08:16 PM ----------

Razer Black Widow Gaming Keyboard
    Mechanical Keys, 1000Hz Ultrapolling, Programmable keys, On-the-Fly Macro recording, Gaming mode, 5 Additional Macro Keys, 10 Profiles, Anti-Ghosting
    Order Code:
    Manf. Code:
    RAZ-390500
    RZ03-00390500-R3W1
    razer
    6 in stock
    £69.98

Razer Black Widow Ultimate Gaming Keyboard
    Mechanical Keys, 1000Hz Ultrapolling, Programmable keys, On-the-Fly Macro recording, Gaming mode, 5 Additional Macro Keys, 10 Profiles, Anti-Ghosting
    Order Code:
    Manf. Code:
    RAZ-380500
    RZ03-00380500-R3W1
    razer
    7 in stock
    £109.99

Saitek Cyborg V7 Gaming Keyboard
    Hard wearing metal-plated key caps, Touch-sensitive, Backlit dashboard Control Panel, WASD cluster Lighting, 12 programmable keys
    Order Code:
    Manf. Code:
    SAI-V7CYBG
    CCB43107U0B2/04/1
    Saitek
    10 Due 25 July
    £56.96

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm typing this to you on one right now. The only drawback I can see is the offset from the macro keys, and the fact that one of my macro keys is missing the mechanism that properly secures it to the key. (Which is actually rather fun. If I press down and let go really fast, the key goes shooting off. I'd assume it's a factory failure, and I'm way too lazy to send it back for a single malfunctioning key.) Feels great, works great, I love it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzykins View Post
    I'm typing this to you on one right now. The only drawback I can see is the offset from the macro keys, and the fact that one of my macro keys is missing the mechanism that properly secures it to the key. (Which is actually rather fun. If I press down and let go really fast, the key goes shooting off. I'd assume it's a factory failure, and I'm way too lazy to send it back for a single malfunctioning key.) Feels great, works great, I love it.
    Care to post some pictures? ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    I want a video: seems funny! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I used one. It broke after about a month of use. It is very poorly designed with a plastic razer logo with an led light below it located right below the spacebar where my palm rests, after a month this plastic piece popped out and wont stay in. Also the escape key would often stop working for no apparent reason and other keys had similar issues. Its a mechanical keyboard with decent key feel but the build quality and design choices are awful.

Couple more things, you have to use a modifier key to access the media controls + volume on the keyboard. Also if you have not used a mechanical keyboard before it is very very very loud; more then likely you will be yelled at on skype for how loud your keyboard is.
    Last edited by Korgoth; 2011-07-23 at 07:27 PM.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've had mine since they launched it and haven't found any actual flaws with it. Only "annoying" thing is how much noise it can make, but you don't notice it in the heat of the battle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I used one. It broke after about a month of use. It is very poorly designed with a plastic razer logo with an led light below it located right below the spacebar where my palm rests, after a month this plastic piece popped out and wont stay in. Also the escape key would often stop working for no apparent reason and other keys had similar issues. Its a mechanical keyboard with decent key feel but the build quality and design choices are awful.

Couple more things, you have to use a modifier key to access the media controls + volume on the keyboard. Also if you have not used a mechanical keyboard before it is very very very loud; more then likely you will be yelled at on skype for how loud your keyboard is.
    Ok that's a deal breaker.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not.

I'll get some more later today. Maybe.
    PS, the Blackwidow isn't the one that's lit up. That's my old Lycosa.

---------- Post added 2011-07-23 at 02:31 PM ----------

Ok that's a deal breaker.
    The entire keyboard is plastic. The LED is made from the same thing, but is made to come off in case the LED goes out for whatever reason. Mine feels solid. All of my keys work fantastically, nothing seems wrong. He may have just gotten a bad keyboard. Not all builds are flawless. The modifier key isn't bad, as it's where the right windows key usually is. It doesn't really bother me. All in all, he may have gotten a bad keyboard. I'm incredibly satisfied with my purchase.
    Last edited by Fuzzykins; 2011-07-23 at 07:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, why not.
    <snip>

The entire keyboard is plastic. The LED is made from the same thing, but is made to come off in case the LED goes out for whatever reason. Mine feels solid. All of my keys work fantastically, nothing seems wrong. He may have just gotten a bad keyboard. Not all builds are flawless. The modifier key isn't bad, as it's where the right windows key usually is. It doesn't really bother me. All in all, he may have gotten a bad keyboard. I'm incredibly satisfied with my purchase.
    The deal breaker is the media keys having to use a modifier... I can buy a standard £10 keyboard and do that myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    The deal breaker is the media keys having to use a modifier... I can buy a standard £10 keyboard and do that myself.
    .-. Orly? It's honestly not that bad. >.< Need to fast forward, strike Function-F8 and keep on going. It actually takes more effort to move your hand off of the entire home row to hit a media button on say the Lycosa, which is at the top right of the keyboard.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    .-. Orly? It's honestly not that bad. >.< Need to fast forward, strike Function-F8 and keep on going. It actually takes more effort to move your hand off of the entire home row to hit a media button on say the Lycosa, which is at the top right of the keyboard.
    Indeed. While I do prefer seperate media keys (like on my old G15), it actually works pretty well. Sadly turning volume up/down is near impossible with 1 hand (which is why I prefer seperate keys).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    Indeed. While I do prefer seperate media keys (like on my old G15), it actually works pretty well. Sadly turning volume up/down is near impossible with 1 hand (which is why I prefer seperate keys).
    Err? Hit FN with your pinky and hit F1-F3 with your middle or ring finger. .-.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Would have to twist my arm a bit and I don't have massive hands. It's easier to just use both hands for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah small hands ^^
    That's ok for a laptop :P but this is a proper standalone keyboard... anyway spending £60-£110 on a keyboard it can at least have dedicated media keys.

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah small hands ^^
    That's ok for a laptop :P but this is a proper standalone keyboard... anyway spending £60-£110 on a keyboard it can at least have dedicated media keys.
    It's not that bad! :P Don't let that be the only point that keeps you from getting this keyboard.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah small hands ^^
    If you are used to laptop keyboards, it will not really be a problem. But yeah, it's odd they didn't add seperate keys.

Forgot to mention the worst part: It doesn't have a proper arm rest like most other keyboards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Termy View Post
    If you are used to laptop keyboards, it will not really be a problem. But yeah, it's odd they didn't add seperate keys.

Forgot to mention the worst part: It doesn't have a proper arm rest like most other keyboards.
    Took mine off the Lycosa, that thing bothered the hell out of me. Technically speaking, your wrists shouldn't be touching at all, so there's no reason to include it.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Took mine off the Lycosa, that thing bothered the hell out of me. Technically speaking, your wrists shouldn't be touching at all, so there's no reason to include it.
    Well I went from the G15 so I can't just hog parts. I just like really "flat" keyboards.

Edit: Derp, read that as you stole it from the lycosa. But well, I like those things. Personal preferences

Deleted
    I have razer lycosa mirror edition and i am very satisfied, pretty smooth , awsome looking , macros and stuff , no extra keys :< ,
    it looks attached to the desk , very short height.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd get another G15 but they're £100 so I might as well get a current keyboard that's still being made....

Not to mention the only thing I didn't like about the G15 is I never used the macro keys in-game... they were "too far away"