10+ Year Old Account

WoW randomly redownloading ?

I'm going to copy my exact post from the MLG forums where I posted this :

Ok this problem is pissing me off

So upon launching the WoW Launcher, I get slapped with a 15.2gb download. Apparently the Launcher thought that I didn't have wow installed yet. I quit the launcher and restarted my laptop. This time, it gives me a World of Warcraft is up to date message and the play button is clickable right ?

But the real problem lies with the fact that the launcher created a 15gb temp folder where it was going to download everything. Using treesize, I found that it created a folder C/Windows/SysWOW64. I am assuming this was the folder where the launcher was gonna stash the stuff temporarily as it is 15 gb folder that was last modified today that I have NEVER seen before. I have tried taking permission of this folder in every which way I know and have also checked on youtube to make sure I was doing it the right way(which I was). Unfortunately I am still unable to remove it

I am now a very angry nerd with only 2gb left on his SSD. And thoughts on how to tackle this problem ?

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hello OP

This is a re-calibration issue

It's a simple common error that all you have to do is RE-LOAD the launcher and you will be fine good sir

That's not related to WoW.....

That's a folder you get when running a 64 bit copy of Windows Vista/7 "Windows on 64bit Windows" is what it stands for, and it contains all the libraries for 32bit backward compatibility.

And on that note, if that folder truly is more than ~1.5GB you have some other issues going on.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2
    Intel PRO/1000 PT Server NIC | ASUS Xonar DX | Corsair AX1200 | Corsair TX750
    OCZ Vertex2 60GB | WD Velociraptor 300GB x 2 | Samsung Spinpoint MP4 500GB
    EK-FB SR2 - Acetal+Nickel | EK-Supreme HF - Acetal x 2 | EK-FC5970 Acetal x 2
    Thermochill TA120.4 x 3 | Thermochill TA120.3 | Swiftech MCP655 x 2

A friend of mine had this issue, and when he checked his WoW-folder, apparently only the Cache-folder was left.
    He restarted the Launcher and then everything was back to normal.

Pretty weird issue, really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resentful View Post
    Hello OP

This is a re-calibration issue

It's a simple common error that all you have to do is RE-LOAD the launcher and you will be fine good sir
    Reloaded the launcher and started the game but my 15gb is still missing

Quote Originally Posted by ispano View Post
    That's not related to WoW.....

That's a folder you get when running a 64 bit copy of Windows Vista/7 "Windows on 64bit Windows" is what it stands for, and it contains all the libraries for 32bit backward compatibility.

And on that note, if that folder truly is more than ~1.5GB you have some other issues going on.
    Then I really must have some other issues going on. Because the launcher said 15.2 gb remaining and looked like it was going about another patch. Despite stopping it immediately, I still have a massive loss of hdd space

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/...-syswow64.aspx

Or, better yet, find which folder/files is actually using that space, then we can tell what truly is going on. You have treesize, so it should be simple.

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 12:14 AM ----------

Actually, if it is in fact those files that are using that space, you might want to turn off superfetch/prefetch since you're using an SSD.
    EVGA Classified SR-2 | Intel Xeon X5680 x 2 | Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 6 x 2GB | XFX HD5970 x 2

10+ Year Old Account
    You have tried literally going back in the game using the .exe itself rather then the launcher then go back to the launcher right?

10+ Year Old Account
    You have tried literally going back in the game using the .exe itself rather then the launcher then go back to the launcher right?
    Yup yup

Here are a few treesize pics
    Windows :

Program files :

Everything :

10+ Year Old Account
    Good god that's twisted hmmm.....

I'll see if I can get anymore research information for you

hopefully you can fix it by the time I'm done

10+ Year Old Account
    Good god that's twisted hmmm.....

I'll see if I can get anymore research information for you

hopefully you can fix it by the time I'm done
    I do hope there's a fix. The amount of changes I have done in windows 7 ? Registry tweaks and edits ? Modifications for my SSD ? Ownership changes for windows 7 themeing purposes ? It would take me days to find every single one and to redo it

On top of that, I am using clear wireless internet. I shudder at the thought of how long it would take me to redownload Starcraft and WoW

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 12:54 AM ----------

Look at what I found lurking inside SysWOW64 in a folder called data

However this folder is only storing ~14.4gb of temp data, I am going to run a treesize on the SysWOW64 and maybe you guys could have a look at it and tell me which folders are abnormally large ? I'm guessing this wasn't the only folder where crap was stored

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 01:00 AM ----------

Problem solved, thanks everyone for helping <3

---------- Post added 2011-07-24 at 01:00 AM ----------

Finally, can someone tell me how large their SysWOW64 folder is ?

15+ Year Old Account
    My SysWOW64 folder is 1.27GB.

Hey Lolhand,

I just created this account to confirm that you are correct. Wow is occasionally downloading again into the Windows SysWOW64 folder.

I'm running Windows 7 and I was perplexed by my network sluggishness for the last 3 days, mostly when playing wow. Long story short I noticed today that I was missing space on my main drive and started looking around folder by folder using the explorer search to find files over 100mb. In the SysWOW64 I found a folder called "Data" and sure enough it was around 15GB.

I'm currently trying to find out what else might be in my 40GB Windows folder. If I find some more useful information regarding the WoW client downloading again I will post it here.

Good Luck Man.

The only possible thing I could think that is making it do that is something related to them trying to push a 64 bit version of the client. But even that seems iffy.

So I found this link http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2743727529 which contains a response by a Blue. However, it does not get into why this is happening. In regards to the poster above me. I am indeed running Windows 7 64bit.

UPDATE:

I've gone into the WoW Folder and clicked the repair option and found there was nothing to repair. Then I launched the client, from the folder, and found that it didn't update anything. Finally, in the launcher, I clicked on the top left Options tab and selected "Downloader Preferences". I unchecked everything in this section.

I'm hoping that this means I wont background download while playing. That should save me from another 15GB download while enjoying my play time.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-07-25 at 09:45 PM.

I wasn't talking about the Windows 64 Bit version. I was talking about Blizzard working on a 64 bit client of WoW. And the last post in that thread mostly disproves that, since it seems to be writing to System32 on 32 bit copies of Windows.