Thread: Luck...

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Luck...

So, your thoughts about "Luck", is there anything we can call "Luck" or is it all just random independent stuff happening?

I'll post my thoughts

I totally believe luck is something that exist, probably because I don't seem to have any... =/ Let me give you an example:

Me and my friends are going to a festival, about 200 miles (about 300 km) away, we're going by train to the festival place and bus home. We got our tickets in our cellphones, because, its really handy =) The thing is that when we're sitting on the train, my cellphone dies, I had recharged it during the night so it wouldn't, and it won't start again.

This is really bad, I really had to get home with the bus, it was the last of the day and the day after I would go on vacation with my family for a week.

Is this just a random thing that happened to happen to me, or is it bad luck?

Another excellent example:

I live outside the small town I live in, about 5 miles (7 km), I get a text from one of my friends telling me to come home to their place for whatever reason. I look outside, the weather is beautiful. I leave the house, and all of a sudden it starts to rain, not much, but still a few drops hits me. I shrug, thinking that it could be worse.

I drag my moped out of the garage, and fires it up, still raining. When I've driven about 100m the heavens open and its raining cats and dogs and all that kinds of stuff.

This is nothing that has happened once, neither twice. It's almost uncountable.

That's two examples of my "luck". Post your own =) Or perhaps just a "Why there's no such thing as luck"

Deleted
    The only people who are "lucky" are the people who think that they are.

Deleted
    I got 4 (or 3) rare mounts in the last week, Swift White Hawkstrider, Amani Battle Bear (rare for my groups), Fiery Warhorse and Raven Lord.

Just finished MGT HC again, i want my Orb, and the Hawkstrider dropped again, yes, i believe in luck.

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its called RNG these days
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Luck does exist.

He is one of the Best Players in the NZ Warriors Rugby League team

Deleted
    Luck does excist, only few can have it at one time

for example: people who survive a carcrash

You create your own luck in this world. If you believe that you are lucky, more 'lucky' things will happen to you; not because you are lucky, but because your positive outlook will just allow for more of these opportunities to be created.

Likewise, if you think you are unlucky, unlucky things will happen to you, because your attitude will be that way (if you, as an example, go into a job interview thinking you arent going to get it, you probably wont, because of things like body language, verbal ques ect).

Edit: And if you survive a crash at impossible odds that isnt luck. Its just statistics. Anecdotal evidence proves nothing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xicoz View Post
    The only people who are "lucky" are the people who think that they are.
    I honestly try to be positive and stuff like that, but it seems that this "luck dude" just keeps pushing me down whenever I think I am lucky =/

Another example:

Playing 2v2 on my 70 paladin during Cata for some shits and giggles, we're on a streak of 9, thinking "hell yeah, hot streak here we come", the 10th team we meet is a lvl 74 blood dk with around 23k hp or something with a 74 holy paladin with around 20k hp. Is it even possible to meet lvl 74s in 70 arena!? =S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    So, your thoughts about "Luck", is there anything we can call "Luck" or is it all just random independent stuff happening?

I'll post my thoughts

I totally believe luck is something that exist, probably because I don't seem to have any... =/ Let me give you an example:

Me and my friends are going to a festival, about 200 miles (about 300 km) away, we're going by train to the festival place and bus home. We got our tickets in our cellphones, because, its really handy =) The thing is that when we're sitting on the train, my cellphone dies, I had recharged it during the night so it wouldn't, and it won't start again.

This is really bad, I really had to get home with the bus, it was the last of the day and the day after I would go on vacation with my family for a week.

Is this just a random thing that happened to happen to me, or is it bad luck?

Another excellent example:

I live outside the small town I live in, about 5 miles (7 km), I get a text from one of my friends telling me to come home to their place for whatever reason. I look outside, the weather is beautiful. I leave the house, and all of a sudden it starts to rain, not much, but still a few drops hits me. I shrug, thinking that it could be worse.

I drag my moped out of the garage, and fires it up, still raining. When I've driven about 100m the heavens open and its raining cats and dogs and all that kinds of stuff.

This is nothing that has happened once, neither twice. It's almost uncountable.

That's two examples of my "luck". Post your own =) Or perhaps just a "Why there's no such thing as luck"
    So - you can afford festival tickets, have a home, go on vacations, have a family, own a moped, have friends, own a cellphone.

And you're saying you're unlucky?

I'm not trying to be harsh...just illustrating that "luck" is all about perception.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Haggerty View Post
    So - you can afford festival tickets, have a home, go on vacations, have a family, own a moped, have friends, own a cellphone.

I'm not trying to be harsh...just illustrating that "luck" is all about perception.
    That's true tbh, from a regular swede's point of view its not maybe that special, but as you say, its all about perception.

10+ Year Old Account
    I trust in RNG these days, even IRL.
    Quote Originally Posted by bizzy View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Random Guy View Post
    That's true tbh, from a regular swede's point of view its not maybe that special, but as you say, its all about perception.
    Exactly :-)

Some towns have crumbled and become ghost towns - just because it didn't rain. They would have loved your luck with the weather :-)

Deleted
    Exactly :-)

Some towns have crumbled and become ghost towns - just because it didn't rain. They would have loved your luck with the weather :-)
    Wouldn't call my town a "non-ghost town" though, we got a bowling hall, and thats basicly it =/ But, what you say is once again true =)

This morning I went out to work. When I was about 500 meters away from the bus station, I saw a bus coming, especially there're only a few people! In China there're always many many people take buses. So I began to run. But when I arrived, the bus went away....It's bad luck x1!
    So I have to wait. There's still 1 hour for me, or I'll late. Normally the bus will take me 30 minutes.
    After about 20 minutes, there comes a bus! But I can't get on! There're too many people... Bad luck x2!
    So I gave up and decided to take a taxi. However, I found that I didn't take enough money, but only the bank card. WTF, there's no any bank in the near from me! Bad luck x3!
    So I continued to wait for the next bus. About 10 minutes later it comes and was empty! I'm very happy to see that. However, the driver told us the bus was broken, must go to the repair shop. WTF! Bad luck x4!
    So today I was late....

Who could be more unlucky than me?

Luck does not exist. Coincidence does. Nothing more.

thats not really luck, someone hada work for that stuff lol.

---------- Post added 2011-07-25 at 01:23 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by McSteve16 View Post
    This morning I went out to work. When I was about 500 meters away from the bus station, I saw a bus coming, especially there're only a few people! In China there're always many many people take buses. So I began to run. But when I arrived, the bus went away....It's bad luck x1!
    So I have to wait. There's still 1 hour for me, or I'll late. Normally the bus will take me 30 minutes.
    After about 20 minutes, there comes a bus! But I can't get on! There're too many people... Bad luck x2!
    So I gave up and decided to take a taxi. However, I found that I didn't take enough money, but only the bank card. WTF, there's no any bank in the near from me! Bad luck x3!
    So I continued to wait for the next bus. About 10 minutes later it comes and was empty! I'm very happy to see that. However, the driver told us the bus was broken, must go to the repair shop. WTF! Bad luck x4!
    So today I was late....

Who could be more unlucky than me?
    haha thats extremely bad luck indeed XD
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Karma.
    10 chars

1) You either need to buy a new battery for your phone, bring your charger with you when you travel, or stop using your phone so much the battery dies that quickly.

2) Check the weather forecast before leaving the house and you will get rained on much less.

Don't see how luck has anything to do with it. It looks more like poor planning to me.

Also, someone said "people who survive a car crash" are lucky. This is ridiculous. If luck were real I would say all the people who didn't get into a car crash are the lucky ones.

Let's keep going, shall we?

Missing the bus? Not bad luck, poor timing. Too many people on the next bus? Probably because rush hour is starting now and everyone else wants to go to work also. Should have left the house earlier to catch that early bus huh? Not enough cash to pay for the taxi? It's not luck that puts cash in your pocket, it's you. Plan ahead and keep enough cash on hand for emergencies such as needing to take a taxi to or from work. Next bus is empty, YAY! But it's broken, booo! Well, it being broken explains why it's empty, yeah? And guess what else! If you had left the house earlier, and gotten on that early bus, then that later bus would still be broken. Your "luck" had nothing to do with it.

There is no such thing as luck, it's all just a matter of perception.

15+ Year Old Account
    Luck is all about perspective and psychology.

As others have said; for some poor kid in China you would already be exceptionally lucky for not having any existential worries and only worrying about minor onconveniences (from their prespective)

And humans also tend to remember instances where chance worked against them better than instances where it worked for them.

Deleted
    Luck is not an attribute someone can have, noone posses "luck" which increase the chance that he/she wins a lottery or anything alike. Though someone who have won a lottery (observe it is something that occured in the past) is often concidered "lucky".

You can not posses luck wich alter future events but you are lucky if some rare event(s) that benefits you occurs.