Deleted

New PC - Bluescreens

Hi,
    1 Week ago I build a new PC. Ive installed all drivers etc.
    But I have about 1 bluescreen a day. How can I see logs that tell me which software or hardware exactly was responsible for the error?

Post some error codes and what you were doing when they happened. Without that information we'd be all but blindly fumbling in the dark.
    - i7 2600k@4489.91Mhz - 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1867 Mhz - Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 - 2X EVGA GTX580 SC SLi - Corsair AX1200W - Antec Kuhler 920 - Vertex 3 120GB SSD + Spinpoint F3 1TB - Bitfenix Colossus Window -

Deleted
    Well I played WoW during the crash.
    How can I post an error code? That was my question in the first post. where can I find these logs? :P

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    BSOD errors won't tell you exactly which software or hardware is at fault, they will however give you a general error code and from that code it gives us a better idea of what is going on.

One way to view issues is to enter Administrative Tools through the Control Panel. From there you are able to open up Event Viewer and see Windows Logs on the left hand side. From there you can select event logs for Applications or System. Look for red symbol errors and then copy the info found here for a better explanation.

You can also follow up with a memory test using MemTest86+ and a hard drive scan using HDDScan. Both programs will test for errors in case it is a hardware fault.

Also if the BSOD occurred right after installing a particular driver then you know which driver is at fault. You should also check for motherboard BIOS updates if you have not done that already.

When it bluescreens there will be a code near the bottom. It will say something like "STOP: 0x000000000000" but with different letters and numbers. For example 0x1E is not enough vcore for the CPU, etc. All codes are common abbreviated by eliminating every 0 after the x that does not have a non-zero number in front of it, i.e. 0x00000000000000001E is 0x1E, or 0x0000040000B would be 0x40000B. As for logs, there are none for BSODs as far as I know, I may be mistaken however.
    - i7 2600k@4489.91Mhz - 2x4GB G.Skill Sniper @ 1867 Mhz - Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 - 2X EVGA GTX580 SC SLi - Corsair AX1200W - Antec Kuhler 920 - Vertex 3 120GB SSD + Spinpoint F3 1TB - Bitfenix Colossus Window -

Deleted
    So there are no error reports in the Apps and System logs.

@the bios update: I checked the motherboard drivers online and there are some newer version than there are on the installation CD. But the website says that it is not recommended to update the BIOS.

There are people that will disagree with me but I have been repairing pc's since before windows 3.1 and long before the internet:

When you buy a new pc, turn off windows updates, do not let it automatically update. Despite the myths you will not be any less secure and not 1 update they've done in the past year has contributed to pc stability or internet security.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If it came with a restore disk and you are comfortable doing it, format the hdd and reinstall fresh, turn off all auto updates and you won't have anymore problems. There has been a huge influx of bluescreens coming into the shop in the last 10 months, I do this and tell all customers to do this and I never see them again for bluescreens. (probably screwing myself out of a bit of money but meh).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazzy View Post
    There are people that will disagree with me but I have been repairing pc's since before windows 3.1 and long before the internet:

When you buy a new pc, turn off windows updates, do not let it automatically update. Despite the myths you will not be any less secure and not 1 update they've done in the past year has contributed to pc stability or internet security.

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If it came with a restore disk and you are comfortable doing it, format the hdd and reinstall fresh, turn off all auto updates and you won't have anymore problems. There has been a huge influx of bluescreens coming into the shop in the last 10 months, I do this and tell all customers to do this and I never see them again for bluescreens. (probably screwing myself out of a bit of money but meh).
    yeah im doing the same. I never turn on the windows updates. Furthermore I do not let windows install the drivers for me. As I mentioned my new pc is only a week old. I installed every driver for the motherboard, audio, or graphic card via a CD or the official internet page of the hardwares producer.

It might could be a problem inside the PC. A buddy of mine who already build up a few pc's on his own did it for me. Maybe there are some wrong connections:P I really dont know.

On your next blue screen just find the line at the bottom that says something like STOP 0x0000008C with a filename below it like filename.sys

This can help finding what the issue is quite often actually. The last 2 bluescreens that I had I was able to find what the problem was just with the error code & filename (HDD cable damaged, unsupported network card during installation).

99.9% of all BSODs with Windows XP, Vista and 7 are caused by hardware failures. This could be bad RAM, video cards, HDDs failing, cable failures, etc. and has very little to do with Windows Update. Not updating your OS is one of the stupidest things you can do unless you keep your computer locked down like a fortress (i.e. unplug it from the Internet and your network.) Sure, there are a handful of updates that have been known to cause BSODs (i.e. that last 0.1%), but they are so rare, so few and far between, it's simply an inane idea to not update your OS simply because you're too scared of the very minute possibility of a potential BSOD.

I sincerely doubt that it was your customers turning off Windows Update and not fixing their hardware that stopped their BSODs.

As others have said, on your next BSOD, post the STOP code or just do a Google search for it, you'd be amazed what the Internet can do for you.

Deleted
    Okay thanks fpor the tips so far. I will look at the error code then next time.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Download this - http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html and install that, next time pc gets bluescreen just load that up when you're in windows again and it will show you your bluescreen error code, copy that down and go to www.faultwire.com and go to FATAL BSOD ERRORS on the LEFT then scroll to the BOTTOM of the PAGE and go through alphabetically til you find your code and it should give you a rough idea whether it's hardware fault or a driver. Good Luck!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya I would have to say if you have windows update on and get errors or blue screens, you have other issues. I have used the auto update for years and never once had a problem on any of the older operating systems or newer ones. For the few BSOD screens I got when building my pc, I just copy the complete BSOD code and go google. At some point some one else has usually had the problem, last two problems I had I did this and got it fixed in a jiffy Just another possible suggestion, just have to make sure the entire code matches exactly. Not saying it works for everything but it did for me.
    Last edited by naadra; 2011-07-25 at 06:16 AM.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Usually with a new PC, the blue screen will be caused by faulty RAM. If you are using an SSD, these like to play up as well on occasion, new driver's generally fix them, but I've had two identical PC's, one never gets blue screens the other does once a month, same hardware from the same store with the same drivers. Sometimes the hardware you end up buying just sucks.