Deleted

Upgrade to Crossfire or not

Hello MMO-Champion,

After lurking these forums for over 2 years I finally made and account here.

I used to know alot about computer hardware what was good and decent but now I really dont know anything so I turn to these forums. My question is should I get rid of my old card and go for crossfire?

My current computer:
    CPU: AMD Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition @3.4Ghz
    Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO
    Ram: 4x 2Gb kingston (cant remember what)
    GPU: Gainward GTX 260 GS
    PSU: Nexus 630W

I am happy with my current set up but sometimes I wonder should I get crossfire because my board is crossfire ready. If I'm going to upgrade the max price for them are 300e.

So people tell me your opinion. (PS. Poll will be added if needed)
    Last edited by mmocbdc1a21398; 2011-07-24 at 06:21 PM.

Deleted
    Upgrade. Also, for Nvidia cards it's called SLI, not Crossfire.

The card is weak as is, put it out of it's misery and upgrade to a new card.

Deleted
    Yes I know the difference between SLI and CrossfireX. My motherboard supports CrossfireX so thats why I'm asking about it. Sorry if it wasnt clear in my post.

Deleted
    That motherboard does now allow dual Nvidia graphics cards to be SLI'ed unless you can by a 260 GTS with an inbuilt NF200 chip. In other words, no you can't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyraxor View Post
    Yes I know the difference between SLI and CrossfireX. My motherboard supports CrossfireX so thats why I'm asking about it. Sorry if it wasnt clear in my post.
    Well then obviously you can't run two because Crossfire is for AMD cards and you run an Nvidia one.

Deleted
    Nvidia cards can't do Crossfire, that's Ati cards. Nvidia calls it SLI. They're basically the same thing; just different names for different brands. But if your mobo says it's only Crossfire compatible, you won't be able to do SLI.

And anyway, I agree with one of the posters above me. Get a better card instead, and then you can SLI that one later (once you have a new mobo, too).

Deleted
    I'm really sorry for the confusion folks. What I meant to say is getting two new cards not keeping the old one. (Edited first post)

Deleted
    I'm really sorry for the confusion folks. What I meant to say is getting two new cards not keeping the old one. (Edited first post)
    Get a single card. Getting two weaker cards to run Crossfire is pointless and gives you compatibility issues.

Deleted
    Could you point out some good cards in the range of 150-300e. Both nVidia and AMD will do.

Deleted
    AMD's best single GPU card.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814103182

This one is 70$ cheaper, however, doesn't perform as well as the 6970.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127594