Poll: Wich part should I play?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    FFVI > FFIX = FFIV > FFV >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FFVII = FFVIII

From my experience in playing them. I might've forgotten some "greater than"s before FFVII though. Probably a good game in its own right, but not really worthy to be taken in the same context as the previous games. And IX.

imo, FF9 is better than FF8 cuz the story line and villain.
    But FF7 is my favorite.

I liked FF7 the most. I tried to play it again about a month ago, but I just couldn't get excited about it and quit after an hour.

I played FF8. I liked it for the most part.

I never played FF9. I watched a friend beat the final boss. From what I saw, I didn't like the game, so I never played it.

So I'd suggest FF8.
    Signature removed. Please read our guidelines. Venara

Deleted
    Damn, someone beat me to linking Hitler's video

So yeah, FF9, basically because it is my all-time favorite RPG :P

Of the two, I like FFIX more than VIII, mainly because it's a throwback to the older ones. It has a TON of references to I and IV in it if you know what to look for.

The only side of 8 that I found more mature was the art design, the dialogue compared to 9 is really childish and I actually cringed at some of it.
    this^, I used to play FF8 when I didn't understand a word of english, I wish I didn't when I played it recently lol .

OP I recommend FF9, IMO game mechanics and characters development in FF9 are more "fluid" and polished, unlike FF8 where it can be easily exploited right from the beginning of the game (almost kills any challenge =/) with some obvious grinding required sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    tactics

/10c
    I'd have to second this if you haven't played it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    I'd have to second this if you haven't played it.
    I got FF tactics A2, while the game is not bad I'd prefer Disgaea over that game.

But from the poll I voted 8, because I loved you could add blind and stuff like that to your attack (or weapon?) Well, you could configure a lot more.
    But 9 is good as well. Nice story, lovely minigames.

You left out the best ones...

FF8 is considerably better than 9 in my opinion. I'm a bit obsessive with my FF characters, I tend to level them to max level, do all the side quests, get ultimate weapons etc etc, and I couldn't bring myself to do it with 9, to me that says something about the game. Besides 8 is fantastic, INTERACTIVE LIMIT BREAKS!!!!, the junction system is interesting and intricate, the card game can be quite fun, you can farm mats and turn them into cool stuff, 8 is great, play 8.

6 and 10 are which I have played. Try them out!

Quote Originally Posted by Riathy View Post
    I got FF tactics A2, while the game is not bad I'd prefer Disgaea over that game.
    Tactics A2 is not the true Tactics. Don't even compare them! The original Final Fantasy Tactics was fantastic, the "sequels" were terrible in comparison.

Anyway, I recently started a playthrough of FFIX for the first time, since I had the game lying around for years but had never played it. I am really enjoying it. Going to play through FFVIII next since I also have it and have never played it. There's never too much Final Fantasy, is there?
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    tactics

/10c
    It is the best by far.

Quote Originally Posted by feigning View Post
    Tactics A2 is not the true Tactics. Don't even compare them! The original Final Fantasy Tactics was fantastic, the "sequels" were terrible in comparison.

Anyway, I recently started a playthrough of FFIX for the first time, since I had the game lying around for years but had never played it. I am really enjoying it. Going to play through FFVIII next since I also have it and have never played it. There's never too much Final Fantasy, is there?
    But I never played the first one Q_Q A2 is the only thing I got that is close to it!

Deleted
    I'd recommend 9, it has the most replay value.

But rather than playing classics you've played before, why not play classics you haven't that are worth playing?

I love the Final Fantasy series, but the first RPG I ever played was Grandia on the PS1, and in my opinion it is just as enjoyable as the classic final fantasy games, and has a lot more roam time and interactivity.

FF9 is pure awesomeness and 8 is lackluster as a story.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Many people blame 8 for being too easy, not realising the normal gameplay of any of the final fantasy series is just pretty much that. Many of the same people are the ones using a guide to get the best stuff in the first disc, and then ironically, complain about it. Would you actually know about all that stuff without reading the guide? Most people certainly wouldn't.

I say, play both, and also including final fantasy 7. They all have their charm, which I feel outweigh their cons. The only FFs I feel that this does not apply to so far is 2 and 12. Both were just meh for me I couldn't find plus points for them. Every other FF has something or several somethings that drew me.

FF7's materia system was fun. Something unique at the time as well. The number of sidequests was great. The story was interesting. This, even now, makes up for the blocky graphics of the time (I just recently finished this again).

FF8 had Triple Triad, which I loved. Many complaints stem from the Random rule, which if you save often, can be avoided from spreading fairly easily. other than that, the game is one of the most awesome mini-games in the FF series, plus really useful in the main game. Sure, it made the game easy, but then like I said, since when was FF about difficulty during normal gameplay? I didn't like the chocobos in this installation. Didn't like Squall's weird attitude, seemed off to me, like he couldn't decide if he wanted to be emo or not. But heck, I like Zell's enthusiasm, Irvine's fail attempts at being cool, Selphie's quirkiness... Also, the junction system was something I found fun.

FF9, I hated monkey-boy. With a passion. Didn't much like the level up/skill system. But the story was great and kept me going, and I loved chocobo hot and cold to death, almost as much as I loved triple triad. Vivi was a plus too, and so was Amarant.

So yeah, I'd recommend trying to play all, in chronological order. They're all fun games in their own right. I would only say not to try them if someone here actually gives a decent reason that appeals to your own dislike of a certain system in the game, for example if you don't like the way the Materia system works, then it might prove hard to play FF7 because that's a core part. However stuff like, oh, this ff is too easy, or this ff story sucks, I say ignore it and give it a go for yourself. You can always quit later if you genuinely don't enjoy it.