High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Having some aggro issues

Hey everyone!

I've been reading the mmo forums for about a year now, and i finally made an account to start posting on things. I figured i'd start with my main and some of the issues i have been having. I started tanking during ICC as my guild needed a second tank. Tanking in WOTLK was dead easy, and i feel like i didn't have the chance to properly learn my craft. Now in Cata, for the most part tanking has been fairly easy, and a lot of fun. Until 4.2, it seems.

i gotta post a few times before i can post my toon (curses)

I have a pretty good mix of gear, some crafted, some valor/justice/zandalari/molten front stuff. My current avoidance is at 80.16%

I follow a pretty basic rotation: AS>(HotR or CS depending on single or multiple mobs)>Judgement>HotR/CS>Conc or Hw, rinse repeat. For a while i was specced out of Hallowed Ground when Cata came out and i used more cc than i do now.

My guild is very casual and we are going slowly through normal mode BWD right now. I'm fine with the pace, and i tank a lot of heroics in the mean time. My problem now is that for some reason i cannot seem to keep aggro on the mobs in heroics. A good example would be the two troll berserkers before Hex Lord Malacrass in ZA. I ran in, grabbed them both and started tanking. About 10 seconds in one of them peeled off and went after the shadow priest, i used my HoR and hit him with my shield. Nothing, he didn't even flinch, just kept on the SP, i hit him with HoR again, and nothing. By the time i finally got aggro back he was almost dead. It's been like that a lot lately. I go in and start tanking like normal and guys just peel off left and right. I watched my vengeance and it seems like i am only getting up around 5.5k Vengeance.

Now, my GL is a fairly good tank and he told me that vengeance means nothing in heroics, and i need to focus on getting my hit back up, so i reforged a few pieces to drop my EXP (which is at 35 with the SoT glyph) down around 29 and get my hit up to 4.50%

So to get to the point, i have a few questions:

1. My spec is based around MMO-C paladin forums/Elitest Jerks etc. I follow all that and love finding out more about my toon. But i am raid speced. Is there a difference between being speced for raids and spcced for heroics?

2. I know it might seem crazy at only 80.16% but is my damage mitigation too high and its affecting my ability to get vengeance?

3.What, if anything, should i do about gemming/reforging/enchanting?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for reading!

15+ Year Old Account
    Equip some Hit gear for Heroics, Purchase the License to Slay and maybe even a hit ring/neck you don't need max avoidance in a heroic what you need is to not miss. While tanking in a raid you would never stack hit in 5 mans you really need it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

Just quick answers to your questions:
    1. Small differences, but not too many. You should do fine in heroics with a raiding spec (especially if you're also raiding, always spec for the hardest content you're doing).
    2. In heroics maybe, but raid bosses hit hard and stack vengeance fast Don't worry (also 80.16% is block + avoidance, not just avoidance :P).
    3. Everything for mastery :P If you can match socket bonuses, do so, but mastery in everything else, enchant mastery where you can (dodge or stam otherwise) and reforge as much mastery as you can. Then try to keep your dodge RATING just a bit higher than your parry RATING (mouse-over to see how much rating you have, % is only important for knowing how close to full CTC you are).