Custom or prebuilt questions

Hi all,

Quick question for the computer guru's of this board: my fiancee and I have about a $1000 (CDN$) budget to buy a new computer - would we get more bang for our buck building or own or buying a prebuilt machine from somewhere?

The reason I ask is I'd imagine buying the pieces myself would boil down to it being cheaper, but I've never attempted my own PC build. I can't imagine it's too terribly difficult as I have an understanding of how a computer works in regards to hardware but I'm a bit nervous to spend that much money and try it on my own.

Another reason I ask: my fiancee is a freelance web designer and will be using the computer most of the time. She also works some 3D modelling jobs (nothing huge, don't need a render beast by any means) and has been hinting at getting a Mac. I'm on the fence, because to me they seem overpriced for a "specialty" computer and I feel we could put that extra money towards a more powerful PC. Are these honestly even worth the money?

So anyway, yea, what do you guys think? Custom build? Prebuilt? Mac? Also, if you do recommend a prebuilt computer, could you recommend any websites for me? We both own Dell laptops right now and while I've never had any problems with the company, I feel there's better prices elsewhere.

Thank you!

Edited for horrible formatting.

You will almost always get better bang for your buck by building your own, mostly because you can fully customize the hardware components to your needs (you can customize prebuilts such as Dells, but the price you pay is more than it should be (i.e., $200 to get a more powerful CPU, on top of the price of the original PC)
    Last edited by Adappy; 2011-07-25 at 01:36 PM.

Deleted
    First of all having built my first custom pc just a month ago i can guarantee that in 90% of the cases you'll get more bang for your buck than with a prebuilt. I can't talk about macs since i've never had one.

So using google i found that 1000 CDN$ is roughly 1056 USD$, please correct me if i'm wrong.

This is a "sweet spot" build suggested by Fuzzykins ( More here: /threads/879505-quot-Sweet-Spot-quot-Build?highlight=sweet+spot )

$1000 Build
    Case: CoolerMaster Haf 912 $59.99
    Power Supply: Corsair TX650 $89.99
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X UD-3 $169.99
    Processor: Intel i5 2500k $219.99
    CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 $49.99
    RAM: G.Skill Sniper Low Voltage 8GB $84.99
    Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 $64.99
    Optical Disc Drive: Sony Optiarc SATA DVD/CD Burner $19.99
    Graphics Card: MSI GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr $249.99
    Total: 1009.91 USD

That build should cover any games (Easily running wow on ultra with great fps) currently out without too much trouble. Because you said there will be some deisgning/rendering you might want to invest another 100$~ (USD) for an i7 2600k (offers Hyperthreading which makes each physical core opperate 2 threads simultaneiously). Not that it's NEEDED by any means. With the Hyper 212 cooler you'll be able to get at least 4Ghz out of the i5. If you do not plan to OC you can skip the aftermarket cooler for now and maybe add it later (although it'll be more of a hassle installing it & thermal paste).

I'm from Europe so i don't know about websites/offers in North America but i believe that Newegg delivers to Canada and it's by far the best website i've seen/used (JEALOUS).

Newegg also has a very nice how to build your computer guide on Youtube:
    Part 1: /watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    Part 2: /watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relmfu
    Part 3: /watch?v=RxaVBsXEiok&feature=relmfu

PS: In all the links i attempted to post (not enough posts) i have removed the original website ( mmo-c for fuzzykins' suggestions and youtube for the guide).

EDIT: I highly suggest going over to Fuzzykins's post and checking those builds out as he also included links (not able to post them ). Also the aboe build does not include an OS or any peripherals (mouse,monitor etc). I assume you also need those since you're using laptops at the moment so your best bet is to check the 700$ build on Fuzzykins's post and using the rest of the money for an OS,keyboard,mouse and monitor that best fit your preferences.
    Last edited by mmoc3cb46d580c; 2011-07-25 at 02:25 PM. Reason: Reading is hard :<

Very helpful Levelfortytwo, thank you!

Deleted
    No problem ^_^. Just checked and newegg has a Canada branch, so i'm pretty sure the prices are valid (and they ship to Canada obviously :P ).

Levelfortytwo beat me to that Newegg video. Watch that video if you're uncertain of building a computer. It's an amazing walk-through, and very detailed, without squashing you with too much advanced knowledge that beginner builders wouldn't know.

Edit: Since Levelfortytwo can't post the full link I will!
    Part1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxaVB...feature=relmfu

Build it! It'll be more fun too. (And! You get lots of rebates so in the end the price will be even cheaper, also you can get lots of combo deals that cut the price - a lot. Most their items will have 5-30 dollar mail in rebates.)

Oh and also...I assume you're going to need an Operating System correct? If so, Windows 7 64 bit, but then you would need too loosen the budget by about a $100. So I'd suggest getting a different video card,like a GTX 460 Superclocked. It's about $169ish, so then you could get the OS.
    Last edited by Bleachy; 2011-07-25 at 03:41 PM.