I'm currently leveling my priest from 80-85 - whilst I'm shadow-specced for questing/soloing, a huge chunk of my leveling takes place in instances, where I am usually healing as a disc priest.
At the moment, I really enjoy disc due to the amount of control you get over incoming damage spikes e.g. by shielding preemptively. It's less whack-a-mole and more control.
I know the topic of disc vs. holy is discussed quite fervently sometimes - however, I would like to not only compare the advantages and disadvantages of both specs for certain encounters, but to get your opinion on the general playstyle in different situations throughout the game.
Couple of points which come to mind:
- Which type of healing is more fun in your opinion and why?
- Which spec do you think is more versatile? Which is more challenging/more fun to play? Where do you have more (situational) buttons to push?
- What is it that makes you prefer one spec to the other?
- In which situations does each of the specs really come to shine?
- What are their weaknesses?
- Which spec is most suitable for which situations? (PVP, instances pre-85, heroics, raiding, ...)
I'm looking forward to reading your answers!