Poll: What MMO were they playing?

Thread: Guess that MMO

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe they were bad gold farmers?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think WoW is hardcore enough for that sort of thing. I bet it was a Korean MMO which are much more hardcore and require more time/money to succeed in.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    That article nor the actual ABC report it links to say anything about WoW. They have the article in the WoW forum, but that doesn't mean anything. I don't see how you can spend 10K on WoW though, and since the actual news article doesn't even mention an MMO, let alone WoW, I will remain skeptic that they were in fact playing WoW
    And with all the obsessive experiences I have been aware of I will remain skeptic that these were not moronic mmo obsessed people. Makes me laugh when people deny the lengths people will go to to play and defend this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    People go over the top for lots of things. All I am saying is there is nothing in the article specifying which game, or even if it was a traditional MMO. All it says is an online game. For all we know they could have been playing Neopets or Facebook games. True logic dictates that without evidence we cannot arrive at a conclusion, and the only evidence is that the couple was playing a game online in a cyber cafe that they spent more than 10K USD on. Immediately jumping to the conclusion that was WoW is no more logical than any other conclusion jump.

At the very least your long jump saying its not an mmo is just as invalid as mine that it is, AT THE VERY LEAST. Considering otherwise many upon many reports of other people neglecting their children/work/lives to varying degrees for mmos leaves me firmly planted in the overwhelmingly sensible conclusion that it was an mmo.

I've seen friends ignore important real life events and have seen/met so many more people online who pour way too much into MMOs it's sad. It's one of the larger factors contributing to my resignation with the game. I didn't want to be associated with people who play 24/7 to down a worthless boss first in the world or people like in this article. MMO community gets more and more pathetic by the day and it's frustrating that people just let it happen or even in a round-a-bout way defend it like Arcilux.

People reach new levels of pathetic every day on the internet and instead of being discouraged people praise these useless and counter-productive achievements, it frightens me that in say 50 years something like selling your child to play an online game might go unnoticed because the person plays in paragon or method or something and "accomplishes" things that are meaningless like world first kills. Don't think that is too crazy, you think that people 50 years ago would expect a level beaten in a game to be world-wide news to a large community? No, because the world focused on slightly more important real-life things at that point, a game (not digital at their time) was rightfully useless, just a passtime, now there's a virtual parade every week for the newest bunch of losers to do well in a game.

When people put too much faith into things like games, situations like this are bound to come up. Everyone here, and even I, are partially to blame for putting a game on a pedestal the way we do, making the useless important, praising the time wasters, buying useless pixel mounts to encourage the company (not me) etc. etc. Don't want things like this to happen? then don't put too much stock into a game.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-07-26 at 05:53 AM.

That's horrible , I can't believe why these assholes decide to have babies then sell them for money. These motherfuckers must be hanged!
    These idiots want to play games all day long without work so they decide to sell their babies for money , they must go to the hell.

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    People reach new levels of pathetic every day on the internet and instead of being discouraged people praise these useless and counter-productive achievements, it frightens me that in say 50 years something like selling your child to play an online game might go unnoticed because the person plays in paragon or method or something and "accomplishes" things that are meaningless like world first kills. Don't think that is too crazy, you think that people 50 years ago would expect a level beaten in a game to be world-wide news to a large community? No, because the world focused on slightly more important real-life things at that point, a game (not digital at their time) was rightfully useless, just a passtime, now there's a virtual parade every week for the newest bunch of losers to do well in a game.
    There were many chess events that were worldwide news to a large community, the same is true of the scrabble community, just because you aren't part of the community you don't hear about them. The point is that people outside of the WoW community are unlikely to know about world first kills, they don't make it into general news. The only real difference between now and then is that the WoW community is so large.

If you compare it to football (or soccer if you prefer) there are a bunch of people playing a game where events are sent worldwide outside of the football community. That has been happening for much longer than just 50 years.

Deleted
    easy money
    +1 for them

Quote Originally Posted by marukale View Post
    There were many chess events that were worldwide news to a large community, the same is true of the scrabble community, just because you aren't part of the community you don't hear about them. The point is that people outside of the WoW community are unlikely to know about world first kills, they don't make it into general news. The only real difference between now and then is that the WoW community is so large.

If you compare it to football (or soccer if you prefer) there are a bunch of people playing a game where events are sent worldwide outside of the football community. That has been happening for much longer than just 50 years.
    Touche on the sports thing but I still think useless things are getting praised out of hand. At least sports have real world applications beyond the game, you play them you get stronger, healthier, attract the opposite sex more to create a family/future. These people who get world first kills arn't superheroes, besides their fingers nothing gets worked out, mountain dew and cheetos aren't health foods and I don't exactly think many accomplished wow players are swimming in girls. Even if Paragon people were considered attractive I doubt they are going out meeting people when they play wow 24/7 to beat a boss unbelievably fast for no reason.

I'm not even a sports guy but I'm smart enough to know anything in the real world is better then any digital accomplishment in a game. You're wrong about the chess/scrabble stuff though I don't think there were 12 million people signed up for chess/scrabble monthly, hanging on the edge of thier seat to see who would make the world first knight move. BTW I have seen these pathetic accomplishments on TV/media several times, so again don't say it won't happen, like I said people are getting more pathetic by the day.

It's sad that you defend such a warped community that brings people to do pathetic things from buying useless mounts for obscene prices to selling their children just to play a bit more. It's baffling that after seeing something like this people still gladly line up and pay for blizzards shit.

WoW costs about 150 dollars for subscription a year. With 10 grand, you could pay for wow for about 67 years, 33.5 for two people. Even with microtransactions, WoW has only been out for almost 7 years, that leaves 60 years worth of subscription, and I don't think WoW will last 60 more years.
    Proud member of the SWTOR champagne room. Haters gonna hate.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingtortoise View Post
    WoW costs about 150 dollars for subscription a year. With 10 grand, you could pay for wow for about 67 years, 33.5 for two people. Even with microtransactions, WoW has only been out for almost 7 years, that leaves 60 years worth of subscription, and I don't think WoW will last 60 more years.
    I didn't mean just WoW mmorpgs and gaming overhype in general will only continue to grow for the bad of mankind.

More and more praise for less and less of actual accomplishments. Useless people being put up on pedistles for doing pathetic things. Basically overhype on all the wrong things and people seem to gladly be blind to it only snowballing the problem. It's a sad world when people in Paragon are praised for doing something in a game by wasting countless hours preparing for a useless achievement.