Thread: RL Rant thing

RL Rant thing

So, I play a mage, always have played a mage. Before we had killed Baleroc (10), there were some DPS issues in our group. As such, the RL had me stay back and not deal with switching off the torments and just rock the dps.

I usually find myself #2 on the charts for the next several attempts, pulling between 17k on a "meh" attempt to 19k on a decent attempt. My RL continues to say to do more DPS after each attempt, and the best part is hes doing like 3k less than me. And he's a spriest.

He claims that since I'm not on the crystals, I should do more DPS because I don't have ot move. However, even when I'm not on torment duty, I still have to move when they spawn on or near me, so I basically move the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.

Is it unreasonable for my RL to be this way?

Depends on your gear differential and RNG.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zithra View Post
    Not really, seeing as you are meant to only DPS I don't even know why you are so close to the boss that the crystals will spawn near you. But in the end that won't increase your DPS by much anyway.

19K is a bit low, but its more than whats needed for the fight. But it shouldnt really hurt your DPS. Blink away, profit. One GCD once in a while, IF the crystals spawn on you.
    Aka, you can do more(and should), but he needs to shift his focus elsewhere too

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you're second in the charts, you're not the issue. Maybe you could try some optimisation gear-wise, and read up on your rotation to maxise your dps. As an arcane mage, you more than likely should be doing more than 19k if you're raiding Firelands (I did about 25-26k in 366 ilvl gear, and was 2k below what I should have been at) but try to remind your RL that moving by 2 yards every now and then doesn't hurt dps at all really.

I also find that watching the videos on Youtube by mages, showing a PoV of a boss can help a lot (if they are doing more dps than me, at least). It shows you very clearly when they move, when they use cooldowns, where they maintain their mana, how they manage their mana and when it is optimal to cast Flame Orbs.

Deleted
    So, I play a mage, always have played a mage. Before we had killed Baleroc (10), there were some DPS issues in our group. As such, the RL had me stay back and not deal with switching off the torments and just rock the dps.

I usually find myself #2 on the charts for the next several attempts, pulling between 17k on a "meh" attempt to 19k on a decent attempt. My RL continues to say to do more DPS after each attempt, and the best part is hes doing like 3k less than me. And he's a spriest.

He claims that since I'm not on the crystals, I should do more DPS because I don't have ot move. However, even when I'm not on torment duty, I still have to move when they spawn on or near me, so I basically move the EXACT SAME AMOUNT.

I imagine the RL is asking everyone to do more DPS, because if your 2nd on 17-19k then Baleroc won't be falling over.

Sounds to me that your raid as a whole needs to do more dps....unless everyone but one person is doing 25k+, you really can't afford a 16k dps on this, esp. if you are two tanking instead of one tanking it.

Also, why are you anywhere near the shards if you do not have to soak them? Sounds like you guys might be doing it wrong/the hard way. This fight is really simplified if you as a non-soaker and the healers plant your feet *away* from the boss (shards only spawn in melee range in 10 man) and single tank it and don't kite the boss at all. You'll get a lot more dps (esp if you are arcane) and it will be easier on the healers because they don't have to move either. My guild which hasn't even killed normal Rag yet kills the fight in about 4 minutes (2 mins before enrage) with this tactic, so it's pretty short and sweet too.

Deleted
    If your RL is doing 3k less DPS than you then he needs to pick up his shit. I don't care if he has to move to soak shards, that means he has to move a tiny bit every 50 or 75 seconds depending on strat, big fucking whoop. Especially since if he's smart he'll time it properly and use his instant casts while moving.

OP here, I was fire for these attempts.

Fire for Baleroc? Why?

Your RL should just sub you. Go Fire instead for Alysrazor (if you're flying) - but if you really want to help your raid succeed by doing better DPS, go Arcane for Baleroc. And if you dont know how to play Arcane - then learn how to. If you cant learn, or dont want to learn - someone else should take your raid spot that isn't prepared to play a gimp single target spec.
    Last edited by TyrianFC; 2011-07-26 at 01:51 AM.

1) Stand far away, with the healers, the Shards won't spawn on you and you can just tunnel the boss.
    2) You probably want to be Arcane.
    3) You should definately do more damage not managing Shards than managing them.

Most importantly if you're not meeting the Enrage check on Baleroc, just drop a healer. 2 Heal it and have your healers swap targets (Tank <-> Shards) every blade.

If you're not meeting it even then, then you're not doing enough.

EDIT: I've heard, not sure, that Frost does more single target damge than Arcane these days, so if you hate Arcane then Frost is another possibility.

Deleted
    You should be Arcane if you want to maximize Baleroc dmg. However if you stay fire that makes the entire movement argument even more pointless as fire loses next to no DPS from moving. Standing still should not increase your DPS as fire.

3) You should definately do more damage not managing Shards than managing them.
    Maybe by a tiny margin. Not by 3k, managing shards really isn't that much movement at all. Especially since most ranged DPS are very mobile nowadays compared to older WoW.

EDIT: I've heard, not sure, that Frost does more single target damge than Arcane these days, so if you hate Arcane then Frost is another possibility.
    Highly doubt that. Frost is better than most people give it credit for, but it's certainly not so good as to beat Arcane on single target. I highly doubt it'll beat Fire even.
    Last edited by mmocf1640b68b7; 2011-07-26 at 02:23 AM.

Your raid leader is a fail spriest. He has to what, make TWO movements? one to get near a crystal, one to move away?

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like your raid leader is looking to find ways for everyone else to make up for his lack of execution.

10+ Year Old Account
    if the spriest in question is soaking a full shard indeed his dps could theoretically be low here. using mirror trinket and glyphed dispersion isn't exactly min/max'ing yet provides great utility for this encounter. just throwing that out there.

Highly doubt that. Frost is better than most people give it credit for, but it's certainly not so good as to beat Arcane on single target. I highly doubt it'll beat Fire even.
    Frost Definately sims higher than fire

Deleted
    your a mage when you move you can stil cast some instants, if your watching your timers properly you know hen your going to have to 'move' so can line those up and lose almost no dps.

for someone taking the crystals they have to move either once or twice.
    first person stays on crystal moves once after geting x stacks and using x cooldowns nstead of dpsing,
    2nd person on crystal moves away and then places self inbetween crystal and stack so 1st can 'run past' him to lose the tormented and swap the person on it. then has to move again when crystal ends to be stacked up ready for next crystal also again using cooldowns to help negate the damage.

as a shadow priest he will be going first and taking the stack to 18 or 21 and using Dispersion. he does ONLY dot damadge for the whole length of dispersion and has to move cleverer.

it's not wrong for him to expect more dps from a full dps than someone on crystals.

Fire on baleroc really what are u thinking? Maybe your RL isn't as informed as he should be but you should know better than to play with fire on baleroc and given that you dont have to move which is pretty moot argument to increase your dps. You Should play as arcane on this and do shard switched because arc mage rotation isn't hard only thing u have to watch is your mana management and debuff timers. Letting the mage tunnel not a good idea. Bad raid leader, bad strategy, bad players.

If you #2 as fire on baleroc that saying something too.

The only reason that a spriest would have low dps on this fight is if they are utilizing their dispersion to gain more stacks of the shard giving others more time for their debuff to go away.

LOL FIRE, l2play your class

Ive done this fight with both classes spriest (16k/10m) and mage (26k/25m) dps(e) last week.
    Last edited by Snuff.20; 2011-07-26 at 02:10 PM.

ya if ur fire on balerock fire is super rNG.. u might have had a bad combustion proc that ticked for like 6k-7k instead of 11k or higher.. therefore making ur dps much lower than it coulda been. that being said the only fight wehre u really need fire is alysrazor.. the rest u can be arcane and happily blast ur way to victory.. jus make sure when u go arcane to reforge ur gear for mastery since fire/arcane have pretty different gear optimizations.

Bad raid leader, bad strategy, bad players.
    /thread.

As this guy said, we have a bad player here making a thread about his bad, uninformed raid leader.

OP: Dont come here and talk like HE's the problem, you BOTH are the problem.