Firelands bosses and preferred speccs

elow guys! My guild is a semi-casual one and we are currently at ragnaros normal mode, getting ready to pound his orange ass. i've been going affli/demo mostly this tier, and i think it is working well. But i'm also interested in seeing what speccs other ppl are using for the different bosses, but more importantly WHY they are going for their chosen spec. And any clever tips and tricks u have are also appreciated. Here is what i am going, and why: (remember this is normal modes )

Shannox: Affliction. Seems the multidot here performs better than destro with BoH. i always dominate the dps with it here. Also, since affli is the best execute spec, it's very good for burning shannox the last 25%.

Rhyolith: Demonology. I always have a prio on aoe'ing the small adds here, as does our other warlock who also goes demo here. we always burn them down rapidly, then if big add is up, go for that, if not, help out on legs. Using felguard for aoe, then shifting to felhunter for the execute phase. It just seems to me that demo is the best choice here, haven't tried any other spec.

Beth'tilac: Demonology. We have enough slowers in the raid to make me focus on the aoe dps, and i'm very effective at taking down groups of spiderlings. I put up the teleport circle by my corners spiderling-spawn-point, when they come i follow them inwards while aoe'ing. Felguards axe toss can also be nice if a spiderling get to close to the drone. After they are dead, i focus on the drone. Our DK's and other taunters are handling the spinners well, so i don't really have to worry much about them. When the spiderlings spawn again, i port back, unless meta is ready, in which case i pop it, and use demon leap for a stun. The aura of foreboding talent is also nice to have, though i kinda feel i don't really need it here. Using felguard for aoe, then shifting to felhunter for the execute phase.
    I've tried affliction here as well, and it seems to be performing very well on 10m (though that's alot easier) since i seem have more time to focus on the drone, and i do more dmg in the execute phase. but on 25m, the spiderlings are more of an issue. SB:SoC is nice, but 45 sec cd is a little too long.
    Destro seems to be a little bit weaker here, it has the weakest aoe, and shadowfury has a kinda long cd. BoH on Beth is an option, but there is like a split second window at the pull where we can get 1 debuff up on her, and usually CoE is preferred (no non-stacking CoE-effects from guys upstairs)

Baleroc: undecided. only tried 10m, and demo works well there since i can stand close to the boss while switching on torments, and get the benefit from immolation aura (8 yard range) on the boss while in meta, and that seems to tip the the scales a little in favor of demo here. Using felhunter.
    Affli also works well on 10m, and i suspect it is better than demo on 25m, where i probably can't expect being close to the boss for immoaura.
    Destro has nether ward/prot, which is nice for surviving torments stacking, but no 2nd target for BoH. tried once but found it to be a tad weaker dps-wise

Alysrazor: undecided. Only tried affli and demo here. I'm always on the Initiates, (our mages go up in the air, and i suspect us locks would be losing our minion dmg if we did go up, so we're less effective?) using felhunter in both demo and affli here, spell locking for interrupt. I have the pet on passive w /petattack macro, since i don't want it running off, and be to far away for when i need it's interrupt.
    I'm focusing on initiates while also helping on Alys from the ground (target macro ), also help out on hatchlings if they don't seem to go down before tornadoes. also always try to put CoE on hatchlings asap. I time my cd's so that i'm ready for Alys ground phase. In demo, meta is very nice for the ground phases ofc, but for the last 25%, affli is very good.
    (any1 else getting confused with NOT having the molten feather buff after that fight? i keep popping drain soul, and then start moving lol )

Majordomo: Demonology. Popping meta w immoaura while standing close for his scorpion form, it will always be up when we gather the next time, (we usually go for 6 stacks) I just seem to be doing more dmg as demo here. Using the felhunter. This is a really easy fight imo, we took him down on our 2nd try. The only irritating element is if he uses his burning orbs, since seeds are so easy to manage.
    I suspect for destro, nether ward/prot is nice for mitigating flame scythe dmg in scorpion form, but one shouldn't really have issues with that in any case.

Ragnaros: Demonology. Only had a few tries as of now, haven't taken him down. tried affli and demo. For Demo i'm using the felhunter in the first phase. I'm also one of the guys managing the traps. Right before the sons spawn i pop out my felguard, and go into meta w immoaura, placing myself about 10 yards from "my" Son, between him and the hammer. I start out with HoG then immolate, shadowflame, then i use axe toss for my felguard for 4 sec stun, and pop felstorm, which hopefully will hit other Sons as well.After this i just nuke the rest, and since he'll gets slower the more dmg the has taken, he goes down in good time. In the next phase i keep my felguard for felstorm on the elementals., and also through the 2nd transition phase. I also make sure meta is ready for the 2nd transition. In the last phase i pop out my felhunter again. Since ragnaros is cake at 10% health, the execute phase will be shortened, and affli loses a little attractiveness. At least i think so, haven't gotten quite there yet . shadowfury for destro is also probably nice to have for Sons, but unsure if destro is worth choosing over demo here, because of that.

as you can see, Demo seems to be the specc that is the most overall successful for me. Destro was a really nice specc in the previous tier, but it's benefits seems lessened now.
    Warlocks generally seem in good shape imho, at least i'm usually at the top on the dpsmeters in my guild, and our other lock close behind (i have a little better gear). On the gear side i currently prioritize crit , while avoiding mastery, but seeing as demo seems strong, i just might have to make it my main specc and go for mastery and avoid crit.

this became a longer post than i intended. hope i get some feedback and tips, and maybe i even helped some1 else with some insights.

so how do you guys play?
    Last edited by Mephista; 2011-07-30 at 09:32 AM.

Being in a 10 man guild we cannot guarantee an ele shaman at all times (sometimes they must go resto) so this tier I have switched my main spec for demonology. Any of the fights can be done just as well as demo as afflic imo. The only annoying one is Alysrazor but not so much if you are a dps thats on druids and hatchlings. I find I can pop Meta after the second druid and it will be back up by the burn phase. I still have my afflic spec but due to the drastic differences in secondary stat weights if I were to use it I would do lackluster dps. Kinda similar to dpsing with healing gear.

Oh side note: You mentioned only pulling Rag a few times and talked about how easy P3 is. From experience P3 is a lot of movement and the short Decimation Soul Fires come out to be much better for the stop and go of the phase. Just my observation.
    Last edited by Harsesis; 2011-07-26 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    Being in a 10 man guild we cannot guarantee an ele shaman at all times (sometimes they must go resto) so this tier I have switched my main spec for demonology. Any of the fights can be done just as well as demo as afflic imo. The only annoying one is Alysrazor but not so much if you are a dps thats on druids and hatchlings. I find I can pop Meta after the second druid and it will be back up by the burn phase. I still have my afflic spec but due to the drastic differences in secondary stat weights if I were to use it I would do lackluster dps. Kinda similar to dpsing with healing gear.

Oh side note: You mentioned only pulling Rag a few times and talked about how easy P3 is. From experience P3 is a lot of movement and the short Decimation Soul Fires come out to be much better for the stop and go of the phase. Just my observation.
    then i think you misunderstood me. what i meant is that the fight is over if you get rag to 10%. didn't say anything about p3 being easy
    ty for the tip on alys, you're doing the same as me then.
    Last edited by Mephista; 2011-07-26 at 09:51 AM.