Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Shadow Priest/raid leader with terrible DPS

I really néed to up my dps if I am to be worthy of the staff the guild is allowing me. I do many of the important mechanics but my dps has been suffering of late. Can anyone help?

Here is last nights domo kill: [dot] worldoflogs [dot] com/reports/ahirgeroedqb88e6/details/9/?s=6005&e=6482

Armory- Zipples on Cho'gall

It may be an buffs issue as well. Thanks

Deleted
    Translated ->

I really need to up my dps if I am to be worthy of the staff the guild is allowing me. I do many of the important mechanics but my dps has been suffering of late. Can anyone help?Here is last nights domo kill:

WoL - http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ahirg...?s=6005&e=6482
    Armory - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...pples/advanced

If you are the raid leader, it's no surprise your DPS isn't up to par. Calling out boss mechanics, cooldown orders, etc (Basically doing everyone else's job for them) would without a doubt have a negative effect on your personal DPS compared to say another person who's 100% focused on pumping out DPS.

Thanks Loop. Iphone + under the posting limit = terrible posts at 5am before work/coffee. Lol.

Talents + Glyphs + Gearing looks pretty optimal.

From your WoL I'm pretty sure you are not mind blasting enough.

Make sure you Shadow Friend and AA on cooldown.

VT is your #1 damaging ability but it's uptime is only about ~80-85% on most of the fights. The best was 87% on the Majordomo kill. Keep ALL dots at as close to 100% as possible. Wait on Mindblast until you have at least 1 Shadow Orb and Empowered Shadow is about to drop off. Keeping the +DoT damage buff up is just as important as keeping your dots up. Also with the 2pc T12, pop your shadowfiend as much as possible. It's a nice dps boost and with the 75 second CD reduction you can use it very regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by Azoth View Post
    Wait on Mindblast until you have at least 1 Shadow Orb and Empowered Shadow is about to drop off.
    No. MB on CD... the only time this is debatable is if you have less time on ES left than the CD of MB. If you cast anyways and ES is going to fall off quickly recast VT and DP, more than likely you will have an orbified MB before they run out. Also, if you are casting MB and an orb procs during the cast ES does get refreshed, which has happened a ton to me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    From your WoL I'm pretty sure you are not mind blasting enough.
    His MB count doesn't look far too low for me. Correct usage of MB: on cooldown, unless you don't have any orbs AND empowered shadows duration is less than 6.5 sec.

SWD on the other hand... Is zero or almost zero. SWD MUST be casted twice each 12 seconds on targets below 25%. Also it's a good filler when you need to move.

Have a cooldown model for figths: try to time your Dark Archangel for hero/bloodlust, add volcanic pot in the mix. Outside of hero, use Archangel on CD whenever you expect to stand still for the duration.

Aim for 100% dot uptime. It won't happen, but 90-98% is realistic for these 2 fights.

On Baleroc you seem to be dropping shadowform for no reason at all.
    On Domo you drop form to use Divine Hymn and forget to go back to sf.
    Use dispersion only for the 90% damage reduction - not for mana. If you ever run out of mana, use more SWDs.

Quote Originally Posted by Zka View Post
    His MB count doesn't look far too low for me. Correct usage of MB: on cooldown, unless you don't have any orbs AND empowered shadows duration is less than 6.5 sec.

SWD on the other hand... Is zero or almost zero. SWD MUST be casted twice each 12 seconds on targets below 25%. Also it's a good filler when you need to move.

Have a cooldown model for figths: try to time your Dark Archangel for hero/bloodlust, add volcanic pot in the mix. Outside of hero, use Archangel on CD whenever you expect to stand still for the duration.

Aim for 100% dot uptime. It won't happen, but 90-98% is realistic for these 2 fights.

Use dispersion only for the 90% damage reduction - not for mana. If you ever run out of mana, use more SWDs.
    Domo i disperessed as holypriest ate a leap and had a 5 stack of orb. I disperssed to take as much orb as I could. Baleroc could be because I died. Not sure why I dropped there. I generally use disperss alot as I take full crystals and orbs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah dispersing to solo a crystal to help healers stack is cool, dispersing for survival is also cool. Dispersing for mana is usually not cool (unless you do it on a forced move or no-target phase).

Fight was 7:56 or or 476 seconds

He mind blasted 34 times. 6.5 sec CD = 221 seconds. Even giving 80 seconds to be realistic its still very low.

Also 1 shadow word death is definitely bad, unless there is some reason you can't use it (scorpion phase?) use it.

Also I'm a 10 man raid leader as well. I extremely rarely die to shit that I can avoid and I end up calling other peoples cooldowns and baby sitting them extensively while still performing well. If you can't handle your job and raid leading at the same time maybe let someone else do it? Tanks or arcane mages make good raid leaders since its pretty 1 dimensional. Not a dis, just a suggestion if you think that is the reason. It's easy to be concentrating on raid leader duties and to miss some dot uptime or a mind blast here and there.
    Last edited by Dorfie; 2011-07-26 at 11:49 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorfie View Post
    Fight was 7:56 or or 476 seconds

He mind blasted 34 times. 6.5 sec CD = 221 seconds.
    Don't forget the cast time, the CD will start after the spellcast is complete, so it's more like 7.8s per MB. Theoretically the maximum would be about 60 mindblasts there, but no-orb and movement periods, MF/dot casts you don't interrupt will cut it back to 40-50.

Deleted
    This is not true. Considering the current fights in FL sub 25% you might not want to be double deathing. I'd recommend not deathing on beth, baleroc(when soaking, duh), domo(during scorp, or flame orbs soak). The rest allows for double deathing but saying that you must do it is plain wrong and can easily kill you.

Doing it on Magmaw head phase is fun, killing yourself with double crits

His MB count doesn't look far too low for me. Correct usage of MB: on cooldown, unless you don't have any orbs AND empowered shadows duration is less than 6.5 sec.<br>
    <br>
    SWD on the other hand... Is zero or almost zero. SWD MUST be casted twice each 12 seconds on targets below 25%. Also it's a good filler when you need to move.<br>
    <br>
    Have a cooldown model for fights: try to time your Dark Archangel for hero/bloodlust, add volcanic pot in the mix. Outside of hero, use Archangel on CD whenever you expect to stand still for the duration.<br>
    <br>
    Aim for 100% dot uptime. It won't happen, but 90-98% is realistic for these 2 fights.<br>
    <br>
    On Baleroc you seem to be dropping shadowform for no reason at all.<br>
    On Domo you drop form to use Divine Hymn and forget to go back to sf.<br>
    <br><br>Domo i dispersed as holypriest ate a leap and had a 5 stack of orb. I dispersed to take as much orb as I could. Baleroc could be because I died ( On close examination it appears I used Hymn of hope and Divine Hymn so that would explain the 2X shadowform buffs during kill). I generally use dispers alot as I take full crystals and orbs.

Maybe I just need more trust in my fellow raid. SWD just hits for alot guess I could shield/ SWD X2

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathzero View Post
    I really néed to up my dps if I am to be worthy of the staff the guild is allowing me. I do many of the important mechanics but my dps has been suffering of late. Can anyone help?

Here is last nights domo kill: [dot] worldoflogs [dot] com/reports/ahirgeroedqb88e6/details/9/?s=6005&e=6482

Armory- Zipples on Cho'gall

It may be an buffs issue as well. Thanks
    Don't worry about it, raid leading requires a lot more attention. Just think of it this way, take the dps you've added to others because of your raid leading and add it to yours :P

I personally don't give others a hard time because of their dps when they've got a lot of other things they trying to do during a fight. I think your guild should understand that.

That guy a couple of posts above does make a good point about tanks being good raid leaders. Shadow already had a lot on it's plate to track, add boss timers in the mix and it's a total mind$%#k.
    Last edited by Cygne; 2011-07-26 at 12:00 PM.

Current UI : Download
    Boss Kills: YouTube | Vimeo

15+ Year Old Account
    You don't have to use them back-to-back, so it may even work on Domo scorp phase. Cat phase should not cause any problem.

It appears on Baleroc I blew Divine Hymn and Hymn of hope at seperate times. This would be why i dropped shadowform 2 X. Still no excuse for my poor performance. I'll try to up my SWD's. I would go back to not raid leading as it was never my goal just no on else cares to do it. The raid leader in theory is a prot pally that doesnt seem to know the fights as well as I do. Or put the time in to find the mistakes in players and correct them.

Maybe this makes me a shitty raid leader but at the moment I have no one to pass the buck to so I can focus on my rotations.

Deleted
    All the spriest advice above me seems really nice, however I presume you know the majority of it already?

Seems to me that you're struggling to remember your own stuff while you lead everyone else. In our guild the "raid leading" stops at the pull. As soon as the boss is pulled, everyone is expected to do their own jobs without having their hand held. Everyone is vocal, everyone is reminding the raid of impending transitions, times left until X, Y, or Z happens, etc.

I would suggest you delegate more and demand people to their jobs without you needing to lead as much, freeing up yourself to focus on your own role.

Quote Originally Posted by Cygne View Post
    Don't worry about it, raid leading requires a lot more attention. Just think of it this way, take the dps you've added to others because of your raid leading and add it to yours :P

I personally don't give others a hard time because of their dps when they've got a lot of other things they trying to do during a fight. I think your guild should understand that.
    Thanks. To be quite honest no one has ever said anything to me about my dps even though I know I am falling behind where I should be. I am just very self critical and want to improve on my own before it becomes more of an issue.

I will post logs of tonights raid and see if I can improve.
    Last edited by Deathzero; 2011-07-26 at 12:03 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZyloCG View Post
    All the spriest advice above me seems really nice, however I presume you know the majority of it already?

Seems to me that you're struggling to remember your own stuff while you lead everyone else. In our guild the "raid leading" stops at the pull. As soon as the boss is pulled, everyone is expected to do their own jobs without having their hand held. Everyone is vocal, everyone is reminding the raid of impending transitions, times left until X, Y, or Z happens, etc.

I would suggest you delegate more and demand people to their jobs without you needing to lead as much, freeing up yourself to focus on your own role.
    That works, although it's also nice to have somebody kind of guide the flow of the raid, giving head's up on transitions, etc. A good example is on Ragnaros. I'm a rogue in melee range. Even with my camera far out I still can't see all the magma traps. It's nice having the raid leader call out when to "pop" it that way I can feint off some of the damage.

Current UI : Download
    Boss Kills: YouTube | Vimeo