Thread: Resil cap?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Resil cap?

Is there currently a resil soft cap? With typical gemming and enchants I sit in the mid/high 3.8k area. I've been told that due to DR after 37% There wasn't much point in going higher.
    Last edited by WarToast; 2011-07-26 at 06:33 PM.

You were being trolled.

Resilience doesn't have diminishing returns. It scales in such a way that the survivability gain increases linearly. That "nerf" a while back was because resilience was actually subject to amplified returns, if you will.

There really isn't one. The more you have, the better but it also depends on your role in the bg/arena.
    <3
    Class: Alli Priest
    Spec: Holy/ Shadow
    Horde Alts @ 85: Mage, Lock, DK, Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Resilience doesn't have diminishing returns. It scales in such a way that the survivability gain increases linearly. That "nerf" a while back was because resilience was actually subject to amplified returns, if you will.
    This is essentially the same mathematics as behind armor, because while a set amount of armor results in less paperdoll mitigation percentage at higher armor levels, it results in approximately the same absolute damage reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowy Vixen View Post
    There really isn't one. The more you have, the better but it also depends on your role in the bg/arena.
    As a warrior I run arms and prot for pvp.Figure I would gem str/resil for all yellows but I wasn't sure after I was told to try and cap off around 3700

10+ Year Old Account
    i was told 34-3500 is fine and there's no point in getting more. i asked someone else and they said that that was not the case, so i continued to get better pieces and i have 4029 resil on my druid right now, roughly 40% damage reduction.

edit: i don't think i was being trolled fyi, i just think the guildy i asked didn't really know, lol =P
    "Yogg keeps sending me tells, and I can't figure out how to put him on ignore.. >=\ "
    "Don't bother, he'll just make another toon."

Quote Originally Posted by blutkind View Post
    i was told 34-3500 is fine and there's no point in getting more. i asked someone else and they said that that was not the case, so i continued to get better pieces and i have 4029 resil on my druid right now, roughly 40% damage reduction.
    That's good advice situationally for some classes/specs, but it's not because more resil becomes less useful for damage reduction. It's because depending on your team setup, it's sometimes beneficial to sacrifice some resil for dps stats (i.e., using a pve trinket).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WarToast View Post
    As a warrior I run arms and prot for pvp.Figure I would gem str/resil for all yellows but I wasn't sure after I was told to try and cap off around 3700
    Gemming 20 str 20 resil in yellow slots is ok for arms in RBG, BG's and TSG, but I would go 40 resilence for other arena setups. For protection it is full resilence on everything, so 20 str/20 resil in red slots (if it is worth the gem bonus).

10+ Year Old Account
    As a Shadow Priest, besides being all purple with a Kill me now!!! sign on me, I am sitting on about 3400 resil. I was always told gem +40 int all slots. Now I am seeing more people geared in halfway decent epic sets reducing damage done. Since I am sitting close to 100k mana should I be swapping out for Spell Pen. or trying to squeak out an extra couple hundred resil.

My experience in BG's is once I am seen its a dog pile until I'm down, usually 2 rogues backed up by a healer.

Quote Originally Posted by marathal View Post
    My experience in BG's is once I am seen its a dog pile until I'm down, usually 2 rogues backed up by a healer.
    To be perfectly fair, if you're in a BG that is not going so well, everybody feels like that!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by marathal View Post
    As a Shadow Priest, besides being all purple with a Kill me now!!! sign on me, I am sitting on about 3400 resil. I was always told gem +40 int all slots. Now I am seeing more people geared in halfway decent epic sets reducing damage done. Since I am sitting close to 100k mana should I be swapping out for Spell Pen. or trying to squeak out an extra couple hundred resil.
    I have no idea who told you this crap, but every caster (even healers) need to be spell pen capped. This means getting the neck or cloak for it and gemming 40 int in all slots is retarded aswell, get those socket bonuses. Resilence never has deminishing returns, so getting more is always good. If you want to use int/resil gems is up to you, but atleast get those socket bonus for easy extra resilence and intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarToast View Post
    I've been told that due to DR after 37% There wasn't much point in going higher.
    Going from hyperbolic gains in EH to linear gains is not 'diminishing returns.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Callace View Post
    Considering you just linked a graph with no data plotted on it as factual evidence, I think Stanton can infer whatever the hell he wants.
    Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence - Sometimes I abbreviate this ECREE

10+ Year Old Account
    So what is the Spell Pen cap now. I have seen numbers all over the place, 248, 290, 140.

I have to double check why I am over cap, possibly from reforging a different stat for more haste, but I believe I am at 390 now.

And thanks for the advice on gems. Buffed and Flasked I am around 3800 Resiliance now. One more gear upgrade should put me around 4k

Deleted
    1. Get PvP gear in all slots

2. Gem Red according to your class

4. If you have survivability issues or if all other yellow stats aren't that great, gem Resilience.

Work with what you can get. The more, the merrier.

Deleted
    the 'cap' occurs when geming for stamina will net you more "effective HP" than geming for resilience will.
    each 1% resi means 100 health is worth 101 health,

if you have 37% res someone would need to do 137k damg to you to do 100k damg to your hp (ish) at that point a 60 stamina gem would gain you 60x14x1.37 = 1151 effective health whereas a 40 resi gem would gain you healthXnew resi - healthxold resi = effective hp gain.

at a certain point geming a 60 stamina will net you more effective health. when this occurs your at the "cap" gem wise and so the 'soft' cap

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viglante View Post
    the 'cap' occurs when geming for stamina will net you more "effective HP" than geming for resilience will.
    each 1% resi means 100 health is worth 101 health,

if you have 37% res someone would need to do 137k damg to you to do 100k damg to your hp (ish) at that point a 60 stamina gem would gain you 60x14x1.37 = 1151 effective health whereas a 40 resi gem would gain you healthXnew resi - healthxold resi = effective hp gain.

at a certain point geming a 60 stamina will net you more effective health. when this occurs your at the "cap" gem wise and so the 'soft' cap
    Your maths is fail, as is your understanding of how percentages work and what linear returns imply.

If you have 37% DR, somebody who deals 158 damage to you, will only cause 100 damage.

Linear returns also means the "effective health" gain from Resilience is always the same. Hence the term "linear", meaning straight/constant. It also means that Stamina will never offer more "effective health" than Resilience.

10+ Year Old Account
    Let me start by saying I know only a little about PvP and I am trying my best to learn as much as I can so that I can do some arena and not feel like I am being carried.

I understand being around 3800 resil gets me a 37% damage reduction, so if someone would normally hit me for 10,000 it gets reduced to 6300. So how do resistances figure into the equation, how much Spell Pen could we possibly need to always hit.

I believe a Mage in Mage armor is gonna be my toughest to get through as far as resistances go as a Shadow Priest.

So say I'm fighting a Gnome Mage, beside being tasty looking, he is in full Season 9 gear, Has Druid, Pally, Shadow, and Flask buffs, and for the sake of keeping numbers simple, enough Resil to get him 40% damage reduction. I think I read that a mage can hit 240 resistance, does the Prayer of Shadow Protection +130 bump him up to 370 against Shadow Damage?

Do I need more than 370 Spell Pen to effecively hit him?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    Linear returns also means the "effective health" gain from Resilience is always the same. Hence the term "linear", meaning straight/constant. It also means that Stamina will never offer more "effective health" than Resilience.
    linear yes each point of resi gives the same extra resi,

but someone at 50% resi each 10 stamin is worth 10X14X1.5 = 210 'effective hp'
    someone with 35) resi each 10 stamin is worth 10X14X1.3 = 182 'effective hp'
    Stamina becomes beter and beter the more resi you get for increasing your 'effective health'
    resi will only add the same amount each time.

there will be an 'inflection point' between resi and stamin in terms of effective health. it will come at high resi levels but i never claimed my math was perfect and this is only to see easy constants between how resi levels effect your actualy health. i know it's not this and this is not your true 'effective health' was meerly for ilistration purposes of explaining how and why there is a 'soft cap' where geming for stamina will give you more effective health than a resi would.

Deleted
    You forget something about stamina. More you have stamina in normal Battleground, less people will attack you. You won't be focus !
    )