I got a free computer! Yay!

So, I asked if I could have this computer that was just laying in the filing room here at work and my boss said sure. I think it's pretty damn decent for being free considering my current tower.

I'm sure the GeForce 7800 GS AGP in my current tower is far superior to the integrated 6150, but I've been wrong before...

Since it's a slimline, the PCI-E slot is like, half the height of a normal card. Is there any decent video card I could get that would be that height? I don't even know what that slot height differential is called...

And for that matter, it's got a 160w PSU... could it even handle something better? Methinks I'm not upgrading this thing too much...
    Moo.

Deleted
    misleading title is misleading !!

OT: 160w PSU doesnt seem like it would handle much, and slimline machines are hard to find upgrades for, at least here in the UK

Deleted
    For a minute I thought I'd get a free PC.

I'd just sell the thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    For a minute I thought I'd get a free PC.

I'd just sell the thing.
    Have you looked at my CPU-Z signature?
    Moo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JonBoy2001 View Post
    Have you looked at my CPU-Z signature?
    Yes, your graphics card is far superior to the one in that pc.

Better idea: Sell both and build a new rig.

Nooooo! No! For the love of god, don't get a slim tower!

Honestly though. The things are horrible, newegg has tons of slim line parts but sometimes they don't even fit and your stuck because you can't get what you want. Also, the 3gb of memory is extremely low plus the hard drive is 320gb. (I run with 8gb and 1 TB) The power supply couldn't even handle the basic household fan to cool your room.

Do yourself a favor and look up computers on newegg, great deals and if your boss is getting it you can get a prebuilt rig.

God, I'd feel guilty selling my current tower for $100. Damn thing is old now. (wtb time machine when it was awesome)

Anyway, my new computer wishlist is hovering ~$1000 over at newegg, and who knows what it'll look like come tax time. Till then, I'll see if this free Slimline can keep up in 25mans, regardless of graphics settings. Alls I want to do is avoid Raggy's fire waves from his hammer during a seed clump with more than 2fps. Damn you CPU bound WoW! I can play Portal 2 damn near flawlessly and eyecandyliciously, but nooooooooooo, WoW has to be a CPU hog...
    Moo.

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    God, I'd feel guilty selling my current tower for $100. Damn thing is old now. (wtb time machine when it was awesome)

Anyway, my new computer wishlist is hovering ~$1000 over at newegg, and who knows what it'll look like come tax time. Till then, I'll see if this free Slimline can keep up in 25mans, regardless of graphics settings. Alls I want to do is avoid Raggy's fire waves from his hammer during a seed clump with more than 2fps. Damn you CPU bound WoW! I can play Portal 2 damn near flawlessly and eyecandyliciously, but nooooooooooo, WoW has to be a CPU hog...
    If you're waiting til tax time I would clear that wishlist because you'll want better things by then.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

sorry but your boss just gave you dead metal... you are better off selling it for a scrap shop or recycle the damn thing :P

I know it's not wtfomgbbq amazing, but you would be surprised what you can do with "dead metal."

I've already found a decent TV tuner card just in case it doesn't give me the minimum fps needed in 25mans for me to move around when shit gets crazy. (I honestly don't care if it looks like 8-Bit Mario) I'll turn the little SOB into a DVR so I can save some money on my cable bill.
    Moo.

I think you should sell both and buy something decent. Like a i3 with a nice 540 gt or 5750.Those wouldn't have big problems running wow on medium-high.

Still selling a pentium 4 now will be tough.
    Last edited by WingsofLiberty; 2011-07-26 at 08:51 PM.

Something decent, to me, isn't ~$400. I'd have an i3 (yarg) and a good video card. No mobo, ram, psu or heatsink.
    Moo.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Radeon HD6570 comes with the necessary bracket for a slim PC case. However the power supply would more than likely need to be replaced to even power the HD6570 let alone the rest of the system.

15+ Year Old Account
    Something decent, to me, isn't ~$400. I'd have an i3 (yarg) and a good video card. No mobo, ram, psu or heatsink.
    Just FYI -

the 13 2100 beats out every AMD in wow. That's pretty good for you to yarg at. it's budget intel that smashes AMD performance, and might I say with me GTX460 runs 2 instances of wow on 2 separate monitors like a champ.