Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What about what ugg linked? The one that is modular. Is it worth it to get a modular 750w over a 850 non modular that is around the same price?

10+ Year Old Account
    That is up to you really, a modular psu will make it easier to do your cable management. So easier cable management or a more powerful psu heh.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    That is up to you really, a modular psu will make it easier to do your cable management. So easier cable management or a more powerful psu heh.
    My main concern was the better airflow, and if that would make it a better choice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Again, up to you lol. If you do your wiring neatly you will not have any problems. If you do it sloppy there will be a mess lol. So it depends on the case you get as well. With a lot of newer cases you do not need a modular power supply because there is plenty of room to put your excess wires. If you get an elcheapo then you may have problems with wire management. For example I have a 690 II advance case, you can take a look at it on newegg if ya like. It is a middle priced case something like 90 dollars I believe and it has a ton of room for cable management. I have a 850 watt corsair psu and I did not have any troubles hiding all my wires behind the motherboard plate and the unused area behind the bays. Having a modular psu would of course made it a lot easier but I did not need one really because I had plenty of room already.

here is a link to my case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119216
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Deleted
    Around 700 watt should be more than enough. Consider all the wattages written down by the specs are mostly on full load, and with games you don't fully load your GPU/CPU, only with video rendering for example.
    So, chose some nice PSU from an A-Brand which is around 700 watt and you should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya but the only problem is with a lot of games your GPU is maxed the whole time you are playing and that is what draws on a ton of power. Maybe not wow, but with most major games out right now will. For an example both of my 6950s while playing BFBC2 are at 99 percent the whole time, same with Crysis and Metro 2033 etc

I'm thinking about this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

With rebate it's about only 135.

I would go with HX750 over the TX any day for the modest price difference and silver rating along with nicer looking cables as well =P And if you don't mind spending a lil extra AX750 Fully Modular Gold rated for less than the I think first corsair you linked.

10+ Year Old Account
    The one you just linked Kevie is a good one, go ahead and grab it

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by naadra View Post
    The one you just linked Kevie is a good one, go ahead and grab it
    seconded. It's a great PSU, modular and 80+ silver. Will serve you quite well.

Since I'm going to be ordering a new PSU the question comes to mind do I need to order a new case aswell? I have measured and am pretty sure the PSU will fit that is NOT why I am asking. My reason for asking is because I'm not sure if I need to or not? This case is several years old. I think it's a decent case, but then again I'm not exactly sure what to look at to judge cases. If I feel the side it isnt hot, some parts are warmer then others but not warm, warm. I plan on getting a case when I upgrade the rest of my computer just not sure if I need to now.

Keep in mind I've been using this case when I ran my GTX 460 SE with a 300w power supply.

You can run SLI 580s on 750W, so you should be fine for a very long time with that PSU. At least 4-5 years. And the PSU has a 7 year warranty.

Appreciate the help guys, anyone able to comment on my question above about if I need to get a new case right now?

10+ Year Old Account
    Anything over 600w will be overkill unless you plan on getting a really top end rig. (2k+$). I'd stick with a QUALITY 500-600w PSU. I'd rather have a quality 500w than a brandless 750w+ PSU anyday!
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

Honestly? Don't go SLI with 580s. If you're intent on running dual GPUs, you'd be better off, heatwise and pricewise, with either the 560, 560Ti or the HD6950.

I'd recommend a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151088, one of the best PSUs out there. Far better than Corsairs TX-series, for example. If push comes to shove, it can also handle loads at far above 650w.
    Two HD6950 (2GiB) should probably be better off in BF3 than a single GTX580, for example, and cheaper.
    Not that you need it. A single HD6950 should handle it perfectly fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    @ OT - what case do you currently have?

Quote Originally Posted by uggorthaholy View Post
    @ OT - what case do you currently have?
    I cannot seam to find a brand name for it or anything really to tell me what kind it is. I got it several years ago when a family member custom built my PC. Here is a picture. http://i51.tinypic.com/2h85kps.jpg

Thing to remember is, this is just to support my GTX 460 SE, Old Motherboard, Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 3800+ Processor and the new HX750 power supply . I plan to upgrade (I do need to upgrade it later right?) to something else further down the road.

Just want to know if this case is fine for my current setup (HX750 included.) I checked and I believe the PSU will fit. More worried about other problems I could face like air flow or something else as I'm not fully sure all the problems that come with cases.

Edit: Just for clarification on the "Not Dust" in the first picture. The picture made it look like dust but I think its just part of the metal that was shinier or something.
    Last edited by Kevie; 2011-07-28 at 02:57 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I went for a Corsair TX750, powers everything fine but also runs pretty cool with my setup.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have not bought a psu yet lol ? hehe the case is fine if you are going to be replacing it in a few. If for some reason you encounter a heat issue you can always take the side off and put a fan on it, but if your computer currently has not had heat issues I think you will be fine. I would not buy a case just to replace it in a few months or so.

Hopefully will have it purchased by tomorrow. Was seeing if I needed a case or not. How will I be able to detect a heat issue before it turns harmful?