Pirates @ Braves, 19 inning game and worst game ending call I've ever seen

The pirates and Braves were playing a great game and it was 3-3 in the bottom of the 19th.

Braves pitcher hit a grounder to 3rd and Lugo took off for home and he was tagged NOT once but TWICE before he touched the plate and the ump called him safe.

There currently is no link, but look it up in a few hours. The worst call I have ever seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Worse than Armando Galarraga's missed perfect game?

Though I guess the call itself could have been close, it was more they hype as to why it was so big.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Worse than Armando Galarraga's missed perfect game?

Though I guess the call itself could have been close, it was more they hype as to why it was so big.
    Notice I said, that I've ever seen. I didn't save of all time.

The difference is while yes the situation of that call was horrible. This call actually ended a game and a 6 hour game no less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Found a gif of it here .

Even from the size it looks pretty obvious. He didn't even make it to the freaking plate. The only possible way EVER that he was safe was if the catcher lost the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Found a gif of it here .

Even from the size it looks pretty obvious. He didn't even make it to the freaking plate. The only possible way EVER that he was safe was if the catcher lost the ball.
    THis was what the ump said. "“I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I’m guessing he got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn’t see a tag."

Quote Originally Posted by Kylecat15 View Post
    THis was what the ump said. "“I saw the tag, but he looked like he oléd him and I called him safe for that. I looked at the replays and it appeared he might have got him on the shin area. I’m guessing he got him, but when I was out there when it happened I didn’t see a tag."
    Total bullshit imo. He probably saw exactly what happened, but just wanted to get his ass off work.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    Total bullshit imo. He probably saw exactly what happened, but just wanted to get his ass off work.
    Man instant replay would have been nice hmm.. seriously i mean i am a die hard Pirates fan so of course I am mad.

I still would be disgusted no matter what team it was, I can't understand why they even waste money on umps anymore.

Man instant replay would have been nice hmm.. seriously i mean i am a die hard Pirates fan so of course I am mad.

I still would be disgusted no matter what team it was, I can't understand why they even waste money on umps anymore.
    I mean.. the ump should really be punished in some manner, suspension or something. There is no case for having missed that call other than being drunk or blind. His intentions of just being tired and looking for a way to end the game come across as pretty obvious. I mean hell, even Lugo knew he was out by a mile, you can tell by his body language after he gets up. Even the way the ump gives the safe sign, it appears like he already had his mind made up that he was going to call it that no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by Dhurn View Post
    I mean.. the ump should really be punished in some manner, suspension or something. There is no case for having missed that call other than being drunk or blind. His intentions of just being tired and looking for a way to end the game come across as pretty obvious. I mean hell, even Lugo knew he was out by a mile, you can tell by his body language after he gets up. Even the way the ump gives the safe sign, it appears like he already had his mind made up that he was going to call it that no matter what.
    Yeah it's a disgrace to baseball. If there was ever something to tell you they need a 5 man umpire crew, one to watch for replays, this was that game.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just more ammunition for MLB to get instant replays. Sure it would ruin the "sanctity of baseball," but it would also make a lot of those iffy calls a lot more accurate.

Umpires = human error. Instant replays don't lie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    The problem comes when bad players expect to clear hardmode content as quickly as average or upper echelon players.
    Accept your limitations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Admittedly, I enjoy beer more as a beverage that I can appreciate rather then getting drunk.

I would rather have calls be correct than rely on humans who will make dumb errors.

The game was going to the 20th easily and an ump does that? It's not good for the mlb at all.

---------- Post added 2011-07-27 at 03:21 AM ----------

Here is a video of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOC9mK5NlqY

Notice I said, that I've ever seen. I didn't save of all time.

The difference is while yes the situation of that call was horrible. This call actually ended a game and a 6 hour game no less.
    No, I will go ahead and say that in my opinion, this was worse in terms of blatantly getting the call wrong. The perfect game call was more bang-bang than this play.. yeah the effect of the call was a bigger deal.. but this.. this.. i don't even understand.. this is so wrong for the Pirates.. they need every win they can muster (I'm not a Pirates fan).. watch the pirates miss the playoffs by one game..

Baseball needs replay. When is MLB going to realize this? Some say that it will slow down the game.. but you know what slows down the game? Managers coming out and arguing calls, kicking dirt, throwing tantrums.. that wastes more time. Simple solution.. how hard would it be to have a 5th ump sit up in the press box and watching a replay? would it really take that long?

edit: didn't see someone else suggested 5ump crew.. i mean.. see.. it's so brain-dead obvious
    Last edited by sheffield; 2011-07-27 at 06:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sheffield View Post
    Baseball needs replay. When is MLB going to realize this? Some say that it will slow down the game.. but you know what slows down the game? Managers coming out and arguing calls, kicking dirt, throwing tantrums.. that wastes more time. Simple solution.. how hard would it be to have a 5th ump sit up in the press box and watching a replay? would it really take that long?
    Unfortunately baseball is the most conservative sport and the "it'll slow down the game" line is their only excuse for not having instant replay. Even with the way instant replay is now for home runs, umpires still have too much pride and ego to even use it for home run calls in a few situations(example: ALCS game 4 last year where the umpires chose not to use it for a home run where there was fan interference).
    3930K . RIVE . 2x 7970 . Cosmos II . AX1200 . 3x Dell U2312hm
    Computer Setup / DH / huntard

That play was shocking, not quite on the historical scale of Galaragga but still shocking that he can screw it up so badly. The IR crap is nonsense, in a free flowing game (Association Football, rugby) it doesn't work, but in a game which essentially stops every passage of play it's surely not THAT big a deal, not for balls & strikes but on a play like this a challenge something like american football or tennis would work. Christ they do it in Little League so why they can't do something at the big league level is beyond me.
    Koodledrum - Balnazzar EU - 85 Priest - Retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristie View Post
    Unfortunately baseball is the most conservative sport and the "it'll slow down the game" line is their only excuse for not having instant replay. Even with the way instant replay is now for home runs, umpires still have too much pride and ego to even use it for home run calls in a few situations(example: ALCS game 4 last year where the umpires chose not to use it for a home run where there was fan interference).
    while i agree that baseball is ultra conservative and the purists will be forever against instant replay, they'd have to be stupid not to see the positives of replay..

when MLB introduced the current wild card playoff system back in 95, lots and lots of people were against it... but look at it now.. they're thinking of adding more WC teams.. and guess what.. lots are against it.. change is good imo