Poll: Do you like vent?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Do you find vent a hindrance?

Just like the title says do you find a hindrance mainly when you already know what you're doing?
    Welcome to Flavor Town.

15+ Year Old Account
    I've raided without voice com on a serious level since Ulduar launched until t11 ended and I can say
    that there's both good and bad things about it. Sometimes I definitely feel like it would be a good
    thing to use it for progress. It's also nice during farms to make the game more fun and social
    during boring, repetitive parts of the game.

On the other hand not using it shows you who is paying more attention to what's happening and
    it's easier to filter out the bad players. Also, I can listen to music or do or things I couldn't do if
    I had to listen to vent at the same time!

Nope because when things just go smooth and don't need chitter chatter we just talk about off topic stuff, like p1 and p2 of ragnaros.

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't really a necessity. But it has helped a few times.

I could personally not imagine raiding without Mumble. It just has so many merits to it, such as calling out which foot to hit on Rhyolith, calling out when you're gonna detonate a magma trap, making sure you've got the right Crystal order on Baleroc. The list goes on...

Bleh, I voted for the wrong thing, lol.

If you already know what you're doing, then no, it really isn't needed. It's still useful if someone makes an oops to try and re coordinate your raid, but other than that it doesn't have much use.

If you're still learning the fight, it can be very helpful to communicate what's going on a lot faster than through other means.

Speaking from a raidleader perspective, I can't imagine how the hell I would lead my 25m raids without vent.

Calling out in advance when we'll pop heroism, determining who should be ressing who (experiences taught us that ffa ressing leads to double resses), deciding on the spot that we should nuke those last 10% of the boss and forget about adds, calling out raid cd's, and in general: adjusting the tactic when shit hits the fan.......... None of that works well if you have to spend time typing it out.

It's a tool. If well used, it can be a real asset to a raid, since voice is much faster than typing, allowing a raid leader to quickly call for a battle ress or a heroism and helping the raid to adapt to unforeseen circumstances.

On the other hand, people like to talk, and vent can easily become a noisy mess when everybody decide to call the same mechanic at the same time, or decide to randomly talk during an encounter, which can be distracting and lower raid performance.

It would be rather difficult in my opinion to efficiently raid lead without some type of voice communication, be that either Ventrilo, Mumble, Teamspeak, or otherwise. There is obviously a point where you will know the encounter well enough to not need to communicate quickly, but for learning new fights it's almost mandatory to have.

Proud Officer of Gwen Stefani on the Blackhand-US Realm

Deleted
    i use it to talk to guildies, well we use skype not vent. would make our raids so boring if we wasnt on voice chat with each other

15+ Year Old Account
    It's just like any other of them out there for me, if it's free for me and not too much of a hassle to talk to my raid, then it's good in my eyes. All this vent bashing is caused by everyone hopping on the Mumble bandwagon. I also prefer mumble, but I've had my great times with Vent, and it's still a great tool.

10+ Year Old Account
    We don't use vent, we use mumble, but it's pretty much the same idea.

No I do not find it a hindrance. It it an awesome tool during bossfights and I have tons of fun on it during trash.

10+ Year Old Account
    You already know what you are doing, sure. But you don't know what others are doing. Shit happens and things go haywire. That's what vent is for. Sometimes you do wish people will stop rambling about unrelated things, but the benefits outweigh the negatives.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it makes it easier to communicate where it's kind of key in some situations.... but I prefer Mumble for that due to the 0 lag between people communicating with each other.

Guessing you're referring to the pug requirement of vent for raids since you said "when you already know what you're doing." I guess it's not always necessary in pugs, but I never found it to be a hindrance, if anything it really tends to help the overall success of your raid. As for a guild run, I couldn't imagine doing it without it, even if everyone "knows what they're doing."

I would quit WoW without some kind of voice chat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanto View Post
    I think it makes it easier to communicate where it's kind of key in some situations.... but I prefer Mumble for that due to the 0 lag between people communicating with each other.
    0 lag is impossible. There's always latency, how ever low it might be.

15+ Year Old Account
    Depends.

If I'm in an actual guild group, no. It's only helping, and I get to make fun(Get made fun of too!) of my guildies!

If it's a pug, I refuse to get in vent. I know the fights, I've killed them endless times, and I don't want to put in the info for their server.

10+ Year Old Account
    It can be a help particularly during progression or it can be a distracting hindrance if used excessively. The golden rule of voice comm in WoW during a raid is only say things that are of absolute importance.

it depends on who you are, I find tanks and raid leaders tend to be the ones to really talk since during a fight to prevent EVERYONE from talking, they do. it`s not like you need everyone to tell tanks when to taunt, everyone to say "switch dps to this". you never really should need a mic to go "this is on me, dispel", that`s your healers job, if you have to call it out, you might as well be dead.

then again it`s also good for if something happens where you have two of something you shouldn`t and you can`t be where you have to, for people to know they have to heal you, or find you, situations like that do come up so it`s reasonable for everyone to have to have one and be able to use it in hardcore guilds.