Silent CPU cooler

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. My temperatures are fine(I'm not overclocking anyway), it's just that I'd love to get rid of the noise my stock cooler makes.

After searching around for a bit, I found passive cooling, such as the Thermaltake Venomous-X and Thermaltake HR-02. Do you think one of these coolers will be fine for me? They are a bit on the expensive side though (~50 euro), so I was wondering whether there are any other silent CPU coolers which you'd suggest.

My CPU is an Intel i7 860, and my case is CM HAF922 incase anyone was wondering

Thanks in advance!

-Miles

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're not overclocking, just about any aftermarket CPU cooler out there will be more than you need.

I have a Corsair H70 hydro cooler and it makes 0 noise. Mostly because it is a liquid CPU cooler and the radiator is self contained and gets its cooling from the case fans. Of course this would be overkill for you since you don't overclock but the point stands, stock CPU will need nothing more that the factory cooler so any aftermarket one will be fine.

Any Noctua fans are quiet. I have the NH-U12P and it's hard to hear (maybe because my 5870 is loud)

Quote Originally Posted by wooootles View Post
    Any Noctua fans are quiet. I have the NH-U12P and it's hard to hear (maybe because my 5870 is loud)
    I have a Noctua NH-D14. It's easily the loudest component in my case.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you wanna kill noise. Any aftermarket cooler on a fan controller will do wonders. Especially if you don't plan on overclocking. Play with it while monitoring the temps at different fan speeds and set it where you feel comfortable.
    Last edited by dicertification; 2011-07-27 at 03:07 PM. Reason: aftermarket

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    AC Freezer 7 Pros make just about zero noise. Best cooler I've used in terms of noise levels, hence why it's not so great of a performer for actual cooling (gets the job done for stock settings and moderate overclocks though).

And they are really cheap.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    AC Freezer 7 Pros make just about zero noise. Best cooler I've used in terms of noise levels, hence why it's not so great of a performer for actual cooling (gets the job done for stock settings and moderate overclocks though).

And they are really cheap.
    It was actually quieter than my Noctua. I used it before this one, in fact. I might take it out again, once the summerheat fades.
    The temps were pretty decent, considering its price, at least in the winter. I had a cooler CPU at the same clockspeed as many with Noctuas, after all. (allthough, to be fair, I run mine on 0.132v less )

And it did handle 4.00GHz on a Lynnfield, which is respectable, tbh.