Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Would you rather be deaf or blind?

^ Title

I've pondered this for a while, which one would you rather be stricken with? Deafness or blindness?

Personally, I'd choose deafness. I'm a musician but it is much easier to function being deaf than it is being blind, imo.

Edit: Can anyone tell me how to add a poll to a thread after posting it? forgot to and for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it.
    Last edited by Elohel; 2011-07-28 at 03:04 AM.

We actually had this discussion in my psychology class one time only it was with all the 5 senses. I personally chose loosing sight, you can live without sight but loosing all the other senese makes a lot more harder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    I'd rather be deaf. Being blind is........kinda scary, seeing nothing but darkness for your entire life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd choose to keep my sight over any other senses, I adore music but so much of my life and how I enjoy it revolves around being able to see.

I'd rather be deaf, mostly because it's easier to communicate (Body language) and I love to cook/love me some nice presentation on my plate.

Deaf, definitely. Be a lot harder to handle day to day life unable to see
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

10+ Year Old Account
    good question. harder to do some things being blind, but at the same time, if you're deaf, you could miss something important or even life threatening just cuz you couldn't hear it(like gunshots or something while you're walking down the street). being blind, you'd be used to moving by sound, you'd be able to tell where they were coming from and at least get somewhere safe(but then how would you know if you're safe?)

I'd give you an inch, you'd take me a mile, your tail wagging happily all the while.

Deaf - because I know American Sign Language already so I'm set!
    you got me where you want me again and i can’t turn away
    i'm hanging by thread and i'm feelin’ like a fool
    i'm stuck here in-between, the shadows of my yesterday
    i want to get away, i need to get away
    now you know, yeah you got my back against the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Army of Darkness View Post
    I'd rather be deaf. Being blind is........kinda scary, seeing nothing but darkness for your entire life.
    It is scary to think about isn't it? Its the little things in life we take for granite...I can't imagine not being about to look around at the world.

Deleted
    Id prefer being deaf, because seeing only darkness for my entire life is much more scary than dont hearing anything.

I'd prefer being Deaf, being blind and seeing Darkness your entire life would get a bit old...

I can handle silence. Utter darkness? No. I couldn't do it.
    There are so many frivolous things in this world.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would really miss hearing anything but i'm sure 90%+ of people would rather be deaf, being unable to see anything and being in darkness for the rest of your life would suck even more than being unable to hear anything.

Blind, a thousand times, blind. I would feel waaaaaaaay more cut off from people not being able to hear them than not being able to see them. Plus, I'd go crazy without music.

Deleted
    Yeah, I would go with being deaf as well. There was a guy on my high-school who graduated this year and he's blind. I'm not sure how the teachers taught him stuff, only saw him when he was guided on the halls by his class mates. I heard he actually got great grades as well.

But consider this, if you're deaf, you're most likely also unable to speak, which would also suck. So yeah, going with blindness, also I hope that never happens, my sight is actually one of the only things that function beyond the norm My hearing is shit, my memory is shit, but my sight, ahh, hope it means I won't need glasses ever.

I'd go with being deaf.

I can't even imagine being blind
    Last edited by Sorx; 2011-07-28 at 03:28 AM.

Most adults, with the exception of professional musicians perhaps would choose deafness. However, from a child development standpoint I think language skills are linked closely to other areas of cognitive and social development. Either way, thankfully not a choice anyone has to make, either for themselves or their children.

I'd go with being deaf.

Not being able to see would make life ALOT harder then deaf imo. Would still be able to write/read, go out and drive (although dangerous to drive without hearing, it can be done if needed) and have much more independence.
    Last edited by bigsandwich732; 2011-07-28 at 03:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenFrodo View Post
    Yeah, I would go with being deaf as well. There was a guy on my high-school who graduated this year and he's blind. I'm not sure how the teachers taught him stuff, only saw him when he was guided on the halls by his class mates. I heard he actually got great grades as well.

But consider this, if you're deaf, you're most likely also unable to speak, which would also suck. So yeah, going with blindness, also I hope that never happens, my sight is actually one of the only things that function beyond the norm My hearing is shit, my memory is shit, but my sight, ahh, hope it means I won't need glasses ever.
    Kinda depends on when you go deaf and how deaf you are. Completely 100% deaf from birth, yeah, speech probably wouldn't really happen, but a lot of deaf people speak even if it's not very clearly.