Page 1 of 2
LastLast

9 Jobs That Destroy Your Soul

http://www.cracked.com/blog/9-types-...roy-your-soul/

Interesting read on Cracked I found, felt like starting some discussion.
    In my working experience I think I've qualified for the following:

The Punching Bag
    The Cog
    The Rat in the Cage, and finally
    The Assistant Cromulationist

What have you been?

David always does really good articles, I like his writing. Need to check out that book of his sometime

10+ Year Old Account
    I've had to be "The Bob" once, got in two fights over having to fire people. After a while you basically just have to swallow your conscience and go with it.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

Deleted
    "The Bob" sounds just awesome, I wish I had that job, seriously. Also the one with complicated name is good, at least people wouldn't call me a dumb blonde then. The other ones kinda suck, yea:P

My last 2 jobs I had for over 3 years I was the punching bag. You really learn how stupid and how dick some people are.

I've only had 2 Jobs, and my first one, was the WORST.

I worked a Apple Bees.

as a "GU"

Which stood for General Utility, I basically was the Dish Washer, Cook, Server, I took phone orders, I cleaned tables, bathrooms, oh and I always closed (12hour shifts).

after a few weeks I soon understood why the last to people before me quit after a few weeks, I heal it for about 2 months, then I dipped on it.

I have to say that what I did doesn't fall under the list to much but hits a few spots.

Hehe.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a dead and walking punching bag.

The author reminds me of Maddox. I like it.
    War is peace Freedom is slavery Ignorance is strength

My job is a "cog". Most days its hard to find the motivation to wake up.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am the "Guy", also everyone I work with is at least 4+ years older then me.
    Edit: 1.8K POST WOOT!
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I'm probably a mix of the "Guy" and the "Cog". I work doing the same thing over and over with people who are like 15-20 years older than me.

10+ Year Old Account
    They forgot "workhorse" which is basically the one guy doing his job while everyone else stands around watching him. That was me my last job.

I am disappointed they didn't just list Gamestop. Three years of my life wasted. I had some of the top sales and highest customer service ratings in my district and the I had been trained enough to the point that I could have been a store manager. Then I was fired because I happened to be working at the same time someone else was who effed up badly (we were both managers but he was above me).
    Last edited by elgato; 2011-07-28 at 08:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm a walking dead.
    roguein' since '05

Quote Originally Posted by Jekdin View Post
    I've only had 2 Jobs, and my first one, was the WORST.

I worked a Apple Bees.

as a "GU"

Which stood for General Utility, I basically was the Dish Washer, Cook, Server, I took phone orders, I cleaned tables, bathrooms, oh and I always closed (12hour shifts).

after a few weeks I soon understood why the last to people before me quit after a few weeks, I heal it for about 2 months, then I dipped on it.

I have to say that what I did doesn't fall under the list to much but hits a few spots.

Hehe.
    Chris Rock knows your pain.

I've been "The Guy" (not just the only guy, but also the only person below 30), I've been "The Cog" plenty of times at industrial jobs, right now I guess I'm "The Laughingstock" cause I'm part time pizza driver. Oh yeah, and it kinda also combines with "the Punchingbag" cause every time store screw up an order, I get to hear about it.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Deleted
    Was a punching bag for quite a while at a call center. Turns out I was good at diffusing the situations, so they made me the guy who had to educate the other punching bags on how to be happier, more efficient punching bags. It still sucked ass. So glad I'm out of there.

Now I'm the guy who stares at the clock all the time, but at least I don't need to talk to people. And it's only for a while, as I'm trying to start up my own business.

Kek

I am...

#8 The Walking Dead: I am home 90 Days of the year, outside of those 90 Days I am in a Airport, Train Station or shitty Motel. Obviously a lot of traveling. Thanks to ridiculous times between doing a gig (usually late at night) and getting to the Airport on time I write on the road and sleep when I am not writing. I have a lot of stories though...

#6 The Laughingstock: Considering this is how I make my living...before Comedy I worked on a farm where I helped Horses do their thing...

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm "The Walking Dead" AND "The Laughingstock."

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../enders/simple
    Quote Originally Posted by Luuth View Post
    I think the easiest way to make people happy would be to nerf the target dummy.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I was the lier once. Xbox 360 promotion. "Sure, you can buy that bundle with loads of multiplayer games and no HD and play just fine" But I wasn't allowed to tell them that they can't save the game without a HD, that they would have to either get another controller, or get a Xbox live membership.

I quit after I just couldn't bring myself to sell it to a guy with obiously little money for his kids.

Had no problem doing the stuff in a store for the more...upper class people however.