Deleted

Haste Cap vs. Intellect (trinkets)

I have a problem. I got a trinket - Necromantic Focus today. It gives lots of intellect and mastery (no idea how it that for Affliction since mastery is low rated, but the trinket is said to be a BiS?). The problem is - with my Atramedes bell, I got a haste cap, while with NF I can't achieve it. I even gemmed orange gems (loss of 20 intellect) but my haste was equal... 19.98% sad. No reforges available.

So my question is - is haste cap with the Bell better than NF? Or not?

is your bell trinket heroic? if it is im pretty sure its better than necromantic focus, but whether im right or wrong, its best to sim ur character. theres a great guide in the sticky section

Deleted
    For Affliction, BiS is DMC:V and Rune of Zeth (hc).

If you dont have Rune of Zeth, DMC:V and HC bell are both better than Necromantic Focus.

And as Affliction, I wouldnt worry too much about the 2589 haste threshold. It's a marginal DPS gain - a few globals free over the course of a fight. I'd say having 2 pre-hc BiS trinkets > 2589 threshold.

Deleted
    Haste cap, afaik, is nothing when it comes to globals, but it gives an additional tick on the dots (corruption, UA) and so it should raise the damage quite a bit? Or am I getting it wrong?

I have DMC:Volcano and my bell is heroic. Offspec is Demonology. Should I use NF there?

I can't sim my char, the program doesn't work for me :<

I'm not gonna have Rune of Zeth HC anytime soon and the basic version seems to be worse intellect-wise. 60 below the NF.

For affliction, reaching any haste level that gives you an extra tick on a dot does not give you a sudden jump in dps. The only gain is a few gcds over the course of a fight due to a longer dot duration. Here is why, the numbers aren't correct, so don't worry about that, the reasoning behind is correct.
    Corruption ticks on a base 3s. So ticks are at 3 6 9 12 15 18. Say you have haste that reduces the tick time to 2.7 sec. it now ticks at 2.7, 5.4, 8.1, 10.8, 13.5, 16.2, and then an extra tick at 18.9. The way it calculates if you get an extra tick is this: Corruption has a base duration of 18 sec, if 18 sec is halfway in between one tick and the next, you get an extra tick. So, you do not get a sudden jump in dot dps, just dot duration. Probably not a good way of explaining it, but essentially, the period of the dot, the time in between ticks, is what determines the dot duration and dps. A small reduction in the period is enough to give an extra tick, but it does not give a sudden jump in dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrioception View Post
    Haste cap, afaik, is nothing when it comes to globals, but it gives an additional tick on the dots (corruption, UA) and so it should raise the damage quite a bit? Or am I getting it wrong?

I have DMC:Volcano and my bell is heroic. Offspec is Demonology. Should I use NF there?

I'm not gonna have Rune of Zeth HC anytime soon and the basic version seems to be worse intellect-wise. 60 below the NF.
    378 Rune is better than NF. a one minute on use cd is really nice. Plus, you have the passive crit that would be worth roughly 120 int, not to mention you can reforge it to haste.
    Last edited by Seezer; 2011-07-29 at 04:10 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrioception View Post

You're correct that reaching the haste threshold for a DoT gives that DoT an additional tick - but the end result is that over the course of a fight it will save you a few globals.

Which is why reaching the 2589 cap isnt such a big deal for Affli. It IS a DPS gain, but not as noticeable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Extra tick on immolate for destruction warlocks = Awesome conflags thats why haste caps are important for destro
    extra tick one anything for demo/affliction = 1 GCD every 10 casts

People think the extra ticks are great cause that's what everyone learned as Destro

Um im psure 30% doesnt just 'saves you some gcds', it add another tick to UA = its gonna be the same as before except every time you cast UA its gonna do more damage than pre 30%. And obviously more haste will reduce your gcds and casttimes.

Even though the 30% haste mark isnt as huge for affli as it is for destro, its still significant damage increase, especially on multi target fights. Ive noticed that on Shannox normal my UA is the biggest source of damage (corruptions is usually exactlly the same % as UA tho) and I pretty certain that wouldnt be the case if I didn't have 30%+ haste

15+ Year Old Account
    As you can see i only mentioned what the extra tick gives not haste in general.. sure haste is good, but intellect is just a lot better.

Depends on the fight and your role -
    While I wouldn't worry about haste thresholds on a single target fight, for say beth or alys on hard modes, I would be willing to go a bit off ideal to push the next tick, because on both of those fights, corruption gets up to 40%ish of my dps - and is obviously being recast per add (aoe dot spam on everything in sight).

You can probably setup a simcraft profile to give you accurate values for the gain when you have 5+ targets available, but I haven't got one :P

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    378 Rune is better than NF. a one minute on use cd is really nice. Plus, you have the passive crit that would be worth roughly 120 int, not to mention you can reforge it to haste.
    Since when does crit give intellect?