Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New comp build problem

Ok this is my first attempt at building a computer, i have everything hooked up and everything seems to boot up but i don't get any picture on my screen. All my fans seem to be running, cpu/video card/stock fans. All my lights on the tower are on aswell.

Again first time at this so not sure what to look for to fix it. If you need more info i will be around just ask.

what are you connecting it too....a pc monitor or a hd tv either way just check the connections in the back of your pc sometimes removing them and putting them back in can work

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you have your monitor hooked up to the video card and not the motherboard (onboard video)?

Have disconnected it a few times, and yes it is hooked up to the Video card and not the mother board. I can turn then monitor on and it just says no signal.

Deleted
    Any beeping noises coming from the computer? You have the relevant number of 6/8 pin connectors connected up to the video card?

No beep, There is a 1 8pin and 1 6 pin both of which are plugged in to the power supply.

Deleted
    Make sure you have a speaker on your motherboard for diagnostic. Will make it a lot easier to.....diagnose.

Try reseating the memory one of the more common things that causes what you describe.

check the settings on your monitor
    a lot of the new monitors have several modes as in digital(DVI) and analog(VGA)
    make sure it is on the right mode

my monitor is one of the high end dell monitors and it has like 6 or 7 different inputs

Tried reseating the memory, my speaker is plugged into the pins and still no beep.

Try a different monitor. Same thing happened to me

tried a diff monitor aswell, neither came on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you plug the cpu power plug in? there is the 24 pin power and then normally a six or eight pin that needs to be plugged into the motherboard as well. it is located near the CPU.

Make sure the video card is seated into the first available slot closest to the cpu.

Did you install all of the mother board standoffs?

Any screws or thermal paste touching the board at all, or loose screws still laying on it?

Did you use a screwdriver that was magnetized when you did the install? and did you keep your self grounded or discharge and static etc? ( normally screws will stick to it of course )

Make sure not only to reseat the ram, try using one stick and then two, and then different slots using one stick then two.

What motherboard are you using?

Is the CPU fan plugged in and running?

And last do you have another video card that you can swap in to see if it works? Can you plug the Monitor into the motherboard video output and get anything at all?
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

i Have the correct 8pin/6pin pci-e cables plugged in. The 24pin and the other one by the cpu are all plugged in.

Video card in correct slot

yes i installed all 9 mother board standoffs.

used regular screwdriver, had anti stati wrist band on whole time, and also often touched metal case to keep myself grounded.

dont see any screws touching or thermal paste touching motherboard.

tried different slots for ram

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730

Cpu fan is running.

different video card, same results.
    Last edited by lunchbox070287; 2011-07-29 at 03:18 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try spamming F8 as you boot up. This will set the computer to VGA mode, which sets the lowest possible resolution, and will fix the problem if the default resolution is out of range.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Does your monitor have an input setting? I know with my Asus 24" it has input for DVI > VGA > HDMI and you have to manually select what method you are using... Can you change that option?

10+ Year Old Account
    One other quick question, I know there is a problem with some cards that you will not even get a signal with that motherboard model and it will just show up like a no signal problem as well, what graphics card are you using?

I thought there was a LED indicator for that board as well? is that right? and have you checked that at all?
    Last edited by naadra; 2011-07-29 at 04:05 AM.
    CM 690II Advanced / Lamptron FC-6 / Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3 / G Skill Sniper Series (2x4)8GB 1.25V DDR3 1600 / CM Hyper 212+ / I5 2500k stock / 2x MSI HD 6950 2GB ( Reference / Stock ) Crossfire / Corsair TX850 V2 ES / Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 7200RPM / Sony CD/DVD / Windows 7
    Overclocking almost done! 4.4 GHZ still working on it!! Wait.......where is all that smoke coming from?

Ok i'm hopeing this may be the problem but can't test it till tomorrow as its 1am where i am.

when turning on the computer the Mem-OK light is on. So this would mean the memory isn't compatible correct? i clicked the button so it starts to blink and tries to configure to my memory but eventually goes a solid red again.

I checked QVL of my mother board and found that the sticks i got were not listed on there.

Could this be the problem???

Listed below Motherboard, Ram sticks, and video card.

MB: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131730

RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231314

Video Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130587
    Last edited by lunchbox070287; 2011-07-29 at 04:47 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    That RAM is definitely compatible with that mobo. Have you tried only using 1 stick at a time, and then the other? you may have a dead stick.

yeah i have tried them each by themselves and in different ports.

So even though the ram isn't listed under the Qvl it should still work?