Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account

Computer keeps freezing..

Alright, so I built my first computer earlier this week, but to my dismay, everytime I try and game, my computer crashes and freezes. I'm going crazy over here now..

It started happening when I was playing Dungeons of Dredmor (just a small flash game) while waiting for WoW to finish patching. I shrugged off the freezes and scapegoated the problem on the game, not the machine. Finally WoW finished patching, and I was playing it for about an hour and than I froze again.. I started to break a sweat, thinking something was wrong.. It got worse (but did vary) from freezing every 4 to 10 minutes. I wasn't sure what was wrong, and a friend suggested that my memory could be bad, so I tried using the program memtest86+, which passed, nothing wrong with the RAM (to the program at least), so my last thought was it was a hard drive disk failure.

I swung by bestbuy, and picked up another H.D.D. and plugged it all up, trying to patch WoW as we speak, but even before then, while playing minecraft, I'll freeze still. I haven't even downloaded the game yet because of the freezes.

Some fun facts:

- I turned on my Task Manager to performance while playing to see if I was freezing at 100% usage, both times were below 62%.
    -I've run Memtest86+ for the RAM, and passed on average of 30 mins each test.
    -I've gotten a new H.D.D. but to no avail
    -I don't have really any program running in background aside from vent and minecraft or WoW installer

My Rig:
    Mobo: Asus P8p67 pro
    CPU: i5 2500k
    GPU: EVGA GTX560 TI fermi Superclocked
    RAM: 8gigs of Ripjaw 1600 ddr3
    Heatsink: Hyper 212+
    PSU: 650w corsair TX
    Hdd WD 320g blue

I'm really freaking out, and am getting very discouraged, I just want to play. Don't hesitate to ask a question, I'll give any information you need.

-Thanks in advance

EDIT1: Read my long post with the picture for the update.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 2011-07-29 at 07:57 PM.

Your graphic card might be bad, thats the only thing I can think of. Do you have another graphic card handy to test it?

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    A 9800 GTX from my old rig I guess. Is there any way to test it without getting it?

Should I try to reinstall it?

Deleted
    Yes, narrow down the problem as much as you can, like you did with the memory and hdd.
    After the gfxcard you might try your powersupply.

Other then that i'd recommend to install some monitoringsoftware on it, which will show you your hardware temperatures at any time.
    You may have an cooling problem somewhere.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Alrighty, the 9800 is in the computer atm, waiting to see if anything happens.. Should I run prime95 or something?

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I suggest Intel Burn Test and monitor temperatures with RealTemp.

---------- Post added 2011-07-29 at 02:40 PM ----------

Considering you built this system you did install the drivers and BIOS updates for this system prior to going and gaming?

Only suggestion is go for a bigger power supply and do you have enough airflow (no mention of cooling used) as case has two fans fitted (and others are optional) could be a heating problem. as suggested before check your Bios and card drivers are updated, If card drivers already updated try 'rolling them back' and see if the problem persists. sometimes new drivers can cause problems with graphics cards.
    Last edited by thraag; 2011-07-29 at 03:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    He def doesnt need more than 650. I would suggest updating your video drivers. Also the freezing problem may be caused by ethernet or sound drivers so make sure you go to Asus.com and download ALL of the latest motherboard drivers and install them one at a time and do a restart after each (i know it is tedious, but sometimes tedious is the best way)

Also are you getting any beep errors when the thing freezes or restarts?

Also one final thing, If you did not isntall you CPU correctly and it is overheating, your machine will freeze/turn off/restart. Make sure you CPU temps aer within a good range.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    First of all, let me say that you guys are like 1000x more helpful than the overclock forums have been. Woot for WoW players helping WoW players

Alright, down to the responses.

@ Cully I haven't done an intel burn test yet, but with I did use realtemp, and I was at a cool 34c on idle, so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. My CPU is still on stock (Don't even wanna play with it till this is sorted out..)

@Thragg The airflow should be fine, I have three 120mm's and a 200mm in the case. There's not too much cable management options, but I've done the best I can with what I have. I'll put a couple pictures

The cables look like a mess, but they really aren't that bad, loads of twist ties and zip ties. The 120mm fans generate airflow on the bottom and top, and the way I put the wires, it mostly bypasses them. Like I said, the picture doesn't do it any justice.

As for the paste, I'm using Artic Silver 5, the double rice grain method.

@ Dash

I'm a freak when it comes to drivers, I like having all my drivers updated. Everything from my sound to my Naga. That being said, I'm not sure if I downloaded any BIOS updates. I put both of my included driver disks and updated them both. The EVGA and Asus disks. Also, no beep is made when the freezes occur.

That being said, here's the weird part. I did what Sath and Ser suggested I put in my old Graphics card. An 9800 GTX. I did do this, and I have yet to freeze.. Could it be possible that I clowned the installation of the 560? Maybe if I reinstalled the card, it would work? Or if I messed up on the install, it wouldn't work period?

Everyone said the PSU was great for the system, as long as I don't try to SLI two 570's.

So just a recap:

-Put in 9800gtx, not having any problems
    -Air flow is fine
    -PSU should be fine
    -downloaded all drivers from disks, but not sure if BIOS was one of the ones I got.
    -Realtemp shows CPU @ 34c

Thanks again guys, for all the help, in these dark, dark times.
    Last edited by Gleipnir; 2011-07-29 at 08:02 PM.

I had somewhat of a similar problem, wow kept crashing and computer would randomly restart. Turns out I had a bad memory stick. Google memtest I believe.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Failuredrill View Post
    I had somewhat of a similar problem, wow kept crashing and computer would randomly restart. Turns out I had a bad memory stick. Google memtest I believe.
    Yeah, been there, done that. Already ran the tests, and they passed, twice.

Thanks though :/

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Could be video memory as in the video cards memory causing the issue. Might actually be a DOA video card in the 560 mate.

Try putting the 560 back in and run this stress test. It is a VGA stress test. Also use driver cleaner prior to installing the drivers.