Getting Back In Shape

So, I'm looking at getting back in shape after being inactive for a year or so. High metabolism and quick dehydration pose a problem. What's mainly lacking is my muscle structure and cardiovascular strength. I want to get my cardio up the most, since I'm fine with my physical appearance and don't have a job that requires heavy lifting or the like. Should I just run, or is there a better method for such? Any pointers for getting back into the groove of things without burning out? And doing so cost effectively, since I'm broke as a radio without sound?

Thanks ahead of time, folks.

Best thing to do is use interval training:
    1 Min warm Up
    30 Secs Sprint
    30 Secs 50% run
    Go for like 6 Minutes repeat 5 times. This will Ruin most people.(Spin Bike and Proper Form on Rowing Machine)
    Also dont jsut right off weights you can do high rep and High intensity reps to get a good burn and workout.
    Ive used this Method for 6 Months Dropped 30 Kg's and Probably the more defined person at my gym
    P.S if you want a good workout PM me
    P.P.S Smash Water allll day and eat small meals like 6-8 a day(Dont Drink Alcohol it will ruin all your gains)
    Last edited by Coyy; 2011-07-29 at 10:49 AM.

I don't drink, so no worry there, but I can't afford to lose much weight. I'm already severely underweight. Which is weird, considering I eat foods that a high metabolism likes. The goal is to keep a healthy heart (since I am worried about my sodium intake and cholesterol, but can't eat light weight foods since I'm underweight) without running myself into malnourishment. Maybe I'm misreading, though.

If you're already at a healthy weight, eating correctly with proper nutrition won't make you lose more. It'll just help your body repair itself after you've worked out.

I run 2-3 miles per day for cardio. It's not helping build muscle above the waist but it keeps the fat off me, which is the issue. I'd alternate cardio w/ weights each day if you want to go for heart health and put on a bit of meat.

btw I came into this forum only b/c I lol'd IRL when I saw that there was a forum for this topic. I've been on mmo-champ. for about 3 years now and just noticed it.
    85 druid | 85 priest | 85 mage | 85 warrior | 80 rogue | 80 Death Knight | 80 Shaman