Page 1 of 3
LastLast

To the PvE'rs what do YOU think the difference is between World PvP and Ganking is?

It seems to me that PvE'rs think ANY killing going on in the world (high lvl zones) is grifeing.

Could one of you please set me straight?

edit: Title should read Griefing not Ganking.

Could I get a MOD to change ganking to griefing in the title please.
    Last edited by powerplay; 2011-07-29 at 12:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From my POV, it goes like this.

World PVP: Killing people who are of a level to actually stand a chance of fighting back, or killing zone NPC's ONCE to stimulate a response from people who are of a level to be able to fight back.

Ganking: Killing people who are too low level to fight back.

Griefing: Avoiding any opposition (usually with flying mounts and/or abuse of the 5 minute unflag timer) while killing NPC's over and over and rendering a whole zone unplayable for people who are too low level to fight back, or corpse-camping people that are too low-level to fight back.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    I do both and don't really see a difference. When you are flagged expect to die, I do

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miralynn View Post
    From my POV, it goes like this.

World PVP: Killing people who are of a level to actually stand a chance of fighting back, or killing zone NPC's ONCE to stimulate a response from people who are of a level to be able to fight back.

Ganking: Killing people who are too low level to fight back.

Griefing: Avoiding any opposition (usually with flying mounts and/or abuse of the 5 minute unflag timer) while killing NPC's over and over and rendering a whole zone unplayable for people who are too low level to fight back, or corpse-camping people that are too low-level to fight back.
    fully agree just wanted to add

Ganking: Killing people of the same lvl who are fighting others mob(s) and are on less than 50% hp

i do play on a pvp server although i don't pvp, started playing there because my friends played on this realm, can't do anything about it and really don't care much if it happens to me i'll just contineu with what i'm doing after a short corpse run, but just find it a little lame i see alot of ganking to people who don't stand a chance fighting back.
    Last edited by Iznomage; 2011-07-29 at 12:27 PM.

World PvP: Hellfire towers, old EPL. Everyone is there for a similar goal.
    Ganking: Killing someone while theyre trying to do something not related to pvp & Killing someone who stands no chance to you so that you feel better about your problems.
    Griefing: Camping.

Quote Originally Posted by Forgottenone View Post
    I do both and don't really see a difference. When you are flagged expect to die, I do
    Exactly. In high level zones RED = DEAD.

Deleted
    World PvP :- Fighting it our over a World Objective (EPL towers, Zanger Towers etc), fighting over nodes/rare spawns.

Ganking :- Killing an enemy who has no chance of winning (ie someone on low health/fighting mobs already/someone lower level). Also corpse camping and killing a player when they ress without giving them a chance to heal up/buff up.

World pvp is when you meet somebody else somewhere in the world WHO ALSO WANTS TO PVP and then fight.

Ganking is killing lowbies, people afk, people at half health, people uesting or generaly people where it is obvious that they dont want to PvP, but you kill em anyway.

Now you could say that playing on a PvP server automaticaly says that you want to pvp, but that isnt always true.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Ganking is just another way of saying Corpse-camping(which is also classed as griefing if you really don't let them do anything else) or multiple people vs 1 person. If it's not 'somewhat fair' then it's ganking.

World PvP is any other PvP what isn't the above.

Edit: Read past the title, but I'll leave ^ in.

'Griefing' is pretty much corpse camping, or not letting someone do something. For example, you don't need to be on a PvP server. I could find one of the new Hunter Challenge pets and a Hunter might want to tame it... But I could keep taunting it or kill it and not let him. That is what I'd call griefing.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2011-07-29 at 01:02 PM.

Griefing means a couple of things to me: killing a lowbie who has no chance of fighting back and then camping them because they have no chance of getting away or ganking and then corpse camping a player of any level with multiple people.

Example A
    : I'm on my level 19 human priest questing and happen to cross your path while you're doing archaeology in Red Ridge Mountains, I don't care if you kill me, PVP server and all of that. It is only griefing (IMO) if you decide to sit there and kill me over and over, knowing that I have next to no hope of getting away.

Example B:
    I'm on my Paladin grinding something or another and all of a sudden you and four of your friends come out of no where. In this situation, I usually just stand there and dance while I die (I find it pisses the kiddies off if I don't struggle) and then merrily make the trek back to my corpse only to find you and your four buddies still standing there, hitting me before I even get a chance to mount. If this goes on multiple times (it usually doesn't because I just Bubble + The Last Relic of Argus), then I consider it griefing because I've got no chance of getting away and no chance of winning the fight.

Note: Not everyone picks a PVP server because they love the "thrill and excitement" of potentially dying over and over because a 12 year old has nothing better to do. Personally, I'm only on a PVP server because that's where my real-life friends play.
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2011-07-29 at 01:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It doesn't matter if you are just questing and doing whatever, in aa PvP server, you should expect to do ANYTHING while in prepared you might get attacked all the time.

I changed from a PvE server to a PvP server, and that was the first thing I learn, and so should anyone who is in a PvP server.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're running around in the desert, thirsty, exhausted. You spot an enemy at a great distance, he'w wounded, trying to fight off a hungering badass lion (No, Lions do not live in the desert - Follow me on this one) - Would you kill him, or let him recover from the beasts assault and wait until he is at his maximum capacity before engaging in deathly combat?

If you're flagged, and I see you - I'll engage. No matter what level you are, no matter what you're doing. You're an enemy, expect to be treated as such.

OT: Ganking, griefing and all the other negative words, are made up by people who aren't up for the task of the PvP aspects. I get mad when I get roflstomped by higher level chars, but it's really not hard to go make a cup of coffee or walk the dog and they'll be gone when you get back.

I do not believe in this so-called, griefing or ganking. There's PvP, and there's PvE - That's it.
    Last edited by Litterbox; 2011-07-29 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Griefing in my eyes is when you are intentionally being annoying.
    Many players only attack someone when that person is on low hp.
    Or they only attack when they have back-up or they jump back into the sanctuary when they are losing.

World-PvP is when you see an enemy and charge into it, no matter what the circumstances are.
    Low HP is part of being out in the world.. There are different variable in the world when comes to killing the enemy. There are no fair fights.

Deleted
    Ganking/Greifing:
    Attacking a lower level character who has no chance of defending themselves(think of the STV during vanilla).
    Constant killing of the same person repeatedly....if u are waiting at the corpse for 2-3 minutes you are going out of your way to kill them.
    Attacking a player who is low health .

World PVP:
    Killing a PvP player that you come across, then leaving.
    Attacking the low level after they attack you, even then they may just attack by accident (while aoeing)
    Attacking people for nodes/herbs.

Debatable
    Attacking a player who is in the middle of a fight killing a rare level mob

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Litterbox View Post
    You're running around in the desert, thirsty, exhausted. You spot an enemy at a great distance, he'w wounded, trying to fight off a hungering badass lion (No, Lions do not live in the desert - Follow me on this one) - Would you kill him, or let him recover from the beasts assault and wait until he is at his maximum capacity before engaging in deathly combat?

If you're flagged, and I see you - I'll engage. No matter what level you are, no matter what you're doing. You're an enemy, expect to be treated as such.
    That's a bullshit example. You're not running around thirsty and exhausted, you're sitting in the comfort of your home in front of a nice PC, playing for your entertainment. There's no "enemy", just a player like you from the other faction. There's no fight to the death, just an annoyance having to go back to your corpse or maybe a laugh at your expense for ganking lowbies and thinking you're at war.

Now you're gonna do what you're gonna do regardless of others may say, but comparing a real life fight for survival with a FANTASY-based GAME is naive to say the least.

10+ Year Old Account
    World PvP = two people, out in the world, both looking to add some extra 'egde' to questing etc by potentially getting into a fight along the way
    Ganking = ONE person out in the world, looking for people questing etc and attacking them when they don't want a fight
    Griefing = the same PvPer going back over and over to kill the same guy, even though he's just trying to get on with his quests.

that's the way I see it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    There is no griefing on pvp servers when it comes to pvp encounters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    World PvP = two people, out in the world, both looking to add some extra 'egde' to questing etc by potentially getting into a fight along the way
    Ganking = ONE person out in the world, looking for people questing etc and attacking them when they don't want a fight
    Griefing = the same PvPer going back over and over to kill the same guy, even though he's just trying to get on with his quests.

that's the way I see it.
    Pretty much this.

To me ganking/griefing is attacking someone in the middle of a quest who may have mobs attacking him and is possibly already lowish on health... Or attacking a player more than 5-10 levels below yourself. Also sitting on someones corpse and repeatedly killing them as they res on low health to the point they have to logout till the idiot gets bored to find someone else to "grief".

It's stuff like the above that made me never choose to play on a PVP server.. It's a pointless waste of your time just so some idiot can get his kicks by frustrating you while thinking he's awesome.

For it to be world PVP there has to be a similarity in character level.... anything more than about 5 levels can in no way be considered world PVP to me. Also hunting around for people on low health with no chance to defend themselves doesn't count as world PVP to me (unless it's in a BG)

I did try playing on a PVP server once but stopped around level 35 in STV when I was using more time corpse running after being killed by max level players than actually questing / fighting players around my own level.

It's not that i'm against "PVP"...I just choose BG's or other games/genres where things are balanced evenly between players.
    Last edited by Paulosio; 2011-07-29 at 01:34 PM.

I'm fine with killing other people in the outdoor world, but killing low level players isn't really that fair, but as others said, its a pvp server, however anyone who intentionally goes to a low level zone just to kill lowbies should stop, since it is griefing for the lowbies, they can't do anything.

Most of the time when i see a low level cause im out in the world, doing achievements, archeology (if i ever did that.. shit thing it is). I useally trap them, scatter shot them and stuff. Sometimes my scatter shot however crits.. and they die

As for higher levels, i'm fine with it as long as the opposing guy isn't "exploiting" things like the molten front, that I find disgusting when people camp at the border, if they decided to gank out in the middle fine, you kill me once and I will then get the drop on you after i have ressed.

With rare spawning mobs, or bosses, killing the opposing faction is 100% allowed, I would anytime of the day shoot another hunter if he was trying to tame a rare pet.
    Kiea from Solidarity EU, Tarren Mill.
    Stream (Thursday 21:00 | Sunday 19:45 | Monday 19:45).